Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah I guess that’s the only other thing to try is the steering shaft
Mine is a 2011 and has been like this since new (now on 102K). I put it down to its harsh suspension.
It’s always passed its MOT (I’m in UK ) every year and has no suspension faults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, there is a metallic clanking noise coming from the front end of my 2014 CT200h F-Sport. I know noise issues are hard to diagnose over the internet without any sound clips, but I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. :)

It appears to occur only when my front tires go over sharp bumps, potholes, raised road reflectors, etc. It happens to both the driver's side and passenger's side and is pretty noticeable with the windows down going anywhere between 10 to 30 MPH.

I first thought it had something to do with Lexus' TSB #SB-10062381-2273, however this does not seem to be the case because the dealer is still noticing the sound after following the instructions on the TSB. I have visited several dealerships in my area, and they all cannot resolve the noise issue. Front struts have been replaced (TSB), brake components have been checked, and all suspension parts have been inspected.

This issue also does not appear to be unique to my vehicle. I've received a CT200h loaner (non F-Sport), and it had the same clanking noise when going over sharp bumps, potholes, reflectors, etc. Also, the last dealership I took my car into tested several other CTs in their lot (used, loaners, and new cars) and all were experiencing the same clanking noise.

Is anyone else aware of or have this clanking noise issue? And if so, has it been resolved and how?
I had posted a very similar symptom on youtube.

The sound happens at exactly 0:19 and 0:27

Can you have a look and see if you think is the same problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi FireB,

I know what the problem is. I had the same kind of noise coming from the front end of the car (2011 CT200h) when I drove over speed bumps or rough roads a couple of years ago. You need to tighten the bolt and nut assembly right below the steering column. To do this, you need to get in behind the steering wheel section on your back looking up as you reach into the bolt and nut assembly behind the plastic covers. Once you locate the assembly, tighten the nut with a socket as hard as you can with your hand. That is where the noise is coming from. If you take your car to a repair shop, they say that you need a new steering wheel column (~$1,000) to rip you off. Good luck and post your results for others.
I can confirm this was the case for me too. I just tightened the bolt and the noise is gone. Everything is smoooth!
Thanks for the info, very valuable!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts