Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there is a metallic clanking noise coming from the front end of my 2014 CT200h F-Sport. I know noise issues are hard to diagnose over the internet without any sound clips, but I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. :)

It appears to occur only when my front tires go over sharp bumps, potholes, raised road reflectors, etc. It happens to both the driver's side and passenger's side and is pretty noticeable with the windows down going anywhere between 10 to 30 MPH.

I first thought it had something to do with Lexus' TSB #SB-10062381-2273, however this does not seem to be the case because the dealer is still noticing the sound after following the instructions on the TSB. I have visited several dealerships in my area, and they all cannot resolve the noise issue. Front struts have been replaced (TSB), brake components have been checked, and all suspension parts have been inspected.

This issue also does not appear to be unique to my vehicle. I've received a CT200h loaner (non F-Sport), and it had the same clanking noise when going over sharp bumps, potholes, reflectors, etc. Also, the last dealership I took my car into tested several other CTs in their lot (used, loaners, and new cars) and all were experiencing the same clanking noise.

Is anyone else aware of or have this clanking noise issue? And if so, has it been resolved and how?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi I have a 2011 model and mine does the same here in the U.K. going over speed bumps etc. I've had mine inspected many times and everything is still perfect after 70K miles. It looks like it's unique to these models. The only thing I've heard of premature failing is the front strut top mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this exact sound and it turned out to be a rock between the front brake dust shield and steering arm

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is exactly what I am experiencing. Going on a driveway with about 1.5 inch sidewalk hump, bumps, roads with fixed potholes, potholes, slightly raised manhole, etc.
It does not happen on a smooth surface even very close to bottoming out.

It's actually driving me crazy as the noise is getting louder and louder. It's more like a metal to metal sound which for me only happens on the passenger's side.
I started to think that it is not any suspension issue, and more of a body connection issue?

All joints looks good with 75K miles.
Strut, Strut Mount, Sway Bar Linkage, and Sway Bar Bushing has all been replaced.

If anyone has a resolution to this situation, please let me know.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi FireB,

I know what the problem is. I had the same kind of noise coming from the front end of the car (2011 CT200h) when I drove over speed bumps or rough roads a couple of years ago. You need to tighten the bolt and nut assembly right below the steering column. To do this, you need to get in behind the steering wheel section on your back looking up as you reach into the bolt and nut assembly behind the plastic covers. Once you locate the assembly, tighten the nut with a socket as hard as you can with your hand. That is where the noise is coming from. If you take your car to a repair shop, they say that you need a new steering wheel column (~$1,000) to rip you off. Good luck and post your results for others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Janson,

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I will take a peek underneath the dash and tighten anything that I see there. It's hard to believe that the clunk is coming from the inside of the car but I am willing to take any suggestion at this point. The car sounds horrible like New York Cab that just hit 250,000 miles with original shocks! Will update if this is the situation after the weekend. (y)

Hi FireB,

I know what the problem is. I had the same kind of noise coming from the front end of the car (2011 CT200h) when I drove over speed bumps or rough roads a couple of years ago. You need to tighten the bolt and nut assembly right below the steering column. To do this, you need to get in behind the steering wheel section on your back looking up as you reach into the bolt and nut assembly behind the plastic covers. Once you locate the assembly, tighten the nut with a socket as hard as you can with your hand. That is where the noise is coming from. If you take your car to a repair shop, they say that you need a new steering wheel column (~$1,000) to rip you off. Good luck and post your results for others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just went underneath the dash today to find the 12mm that was on the steering shaft. I have tightened that bolt but the clunk is still there. I still have a feeling that the sound is coming externally from the passenger's side so it must be something. I have a recall that I received in mail today so I will address this issue when I bring the car to get the recall done.

I have been modding cars for over 20+ years and never came to a conclusion of unsolved issues.... This really is driving me nuts!

Hello Janson,

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I will take a peek underneath the dash and tighten anything that I see there. It's hard to believe that the clunk is coming from the inside of the car but I am willing to take any suggestion at this point. The car sounds horrible like New York Cab that just hit 250,000 miles with original shocks! Will update if this is the situation after the weekend. (y)
Hi FireB,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for your input.
I have changed the Top Mount as well when I did the shocks.
If that's not want you are talking about, we need to discuss more.

It’s the front strut top bushes. They are prone for wearing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts