Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I had my OEM tires replaced. The gentleman running the shop replaced my metal valve covers with silver plastic covers. He said that the metal covers can get corroded to the valve stem and sometime requires a wrench to remove. If the cover is too tight or stuck you can run the risk of snapping the stem, lose all your air and require complete replacement of the TPMS "transmitter".

So, long story short, I suggest switching out the metal covers for plastic ones.

·
Registered
990 Posts
A few days ago I had my OEM tires replaced. The gentleman running the shop replaced my metal valve covers with silver plastic covers. He said that the metal covers can get corroded to the valve stem and sometime requires a wrench to remove. If the cover is too tight or stuck you can run the risk of snapping the stem, lose all your air and require complete replacement of the TPMS "transmitter".

So, long story short, I suggest switching out the metal covers for plastic ones.
I would choose a different tire professional. He is talking out of his rear end. First off the are aluminum so they cannot rust. Second off they are OEM which means Lexus feels they are good for their vehicles. Would they put this on their cars if they can easily corrode and get stuck? He took them off because he wanted then for himself. I've owned Lexus's for many years and never had one corrode or get stuck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
842 Posts
You got conned, but if you enjoyed it, send me your spare money and I won't even make up a story to embarrass you.

While it is true that if you were to snap off the valve stem, it would definitely cause some TPMS problems, that is totally avoidable. First, check your air pressure once in a while. Second, if you find there is some sort of difficulty in removing the valve caps, put a very small amount of some sort of lubricant on the threads.

I have had one car in which the metal caps seemed to tighten up and get hard to remove, but it was still finger tight.

The far bigger problem is that you will probably be supplying every kid in the neighborhood with a shiny metal valve cover for his (or her) bike. You can buy some decent ones at any auto parts store for less than $2 for four of them. I keep extra ones in my garage for when one of them mysteriously dissapears off my car. Happens once or twice a year. For some reason, especially at church.

·
Registered
486 Posts
FYI

they might get seized on to the valve stems due to water and rust
and break your tpms sensors

happened to me on a nissan altima

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When i first read the replies to my post I thought perhaps I did got punked by the service guy. His reasoning was that road salt, sand, heat etc would eventually result in a stuck-on valve cap. So I did a google search for "metal air valve caps stuck" and found A LOT of people having an issue with not being able to remove the caps. Some people said they used double wrenches, liquid penetrate, heat, and even dremel tools to remove the cap unsuccessfully.

So, while at first glance it seems like this guy was wrong to swap out my metal caps for plastic, I am glad he did. Just wanted to warn my fellow CT owners.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've kept my metal valve covers because I like the way they look. However, I check them when I wash my car and clean the wheels. And, to reply to my95tsi, I hate to mention this but Lexus does make mistakes in judgment on occasions -- they are not infallible.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Everyone should be checking their tire pressure at least once per month or every two months. I always fill 2-3 lbs above the recommended fill and this is the easiest way to maintain and gain mpg. The regular act of screwing and unscrewing should prevent stuck caps.

BTW, Costco sells a nice digital Bonaire tire inflator that runs on 120 or 12V. You can set the psi on the unit and it will automatically turn off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If u guys do replace your metal valve stem cap for a plastic one make sure not to throw the metal ones away. Those metal caps are pretty expensive. Last time I asked the dealer it was $8 per cap

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts

My 2012 came with chrome covered plastic caps, and seem difficult to distinguish between the solid metal ones. I've also had professional tire guys tell me that the solid metal ones can cause problems. Use your best judgement and why take a potential risk with the metal ones ?????

·
Registered
90 Posts

Did he give it back to you?
I wonder how many he's conned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts