Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'll be picking up my CT in few weeks (finally after 4 months of wait).
I have some questions regarding the maintenance cost of a Hybrid.

I assume we have to take the car to the dealership for any service right?
There is no mechanics out there that can service this car without voiding the warranty, am I correct?

If so, does anyone know how much it cost annually to service/maintain a Hybrid at Lexus dealership? Just wondering so I can prepare for it.

I'm really a newbie to maintaining cars as I take my current Civic to a local mechanic to service it on a need to basics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You do not have to take the CT to a Lexus dealership. It's actually a federal law imposed by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Provided your car is serviced by a qualified/competent provider your warranty remains in effect.

Keep in mind though that if you do not have records showing you maintained the vehicle that they CAN refuse to cover your warranty. One thing that the dealership will try and sell you on is that if you service with them that your warranty is easy to track since all the service records remain with the dealership.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you want to save money and still go to a dealer you could take it to Toyota. The car should really only need Oil and Filter changes up until the 90K with oil changes every 10K.

The 90K services is the only service where Lexus would do anything extra which is only to Replace air conditioner filter, Replace brake fluid, Replace engine air filter.

I would get the complimentary first two services and then just do the oil changes yourself or at a cheap alternative and keep your records.

I might consider doing the oil changes at the dealer every 10K but to actually go in every 5K for service and pay over $200 for a tire rotation is crazy.

Here is the warranty and services guide so you can see what would be done to your car at different intervals...
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omms/L-MMS-11CT200H/pdf/MY11%20Lexus%20CT%20200h%20WSG_lr.pdf

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
First of all we need to know what country you live in?

In the US people servicing the car are called technicians not mechanics
:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all the the feedback, these is very valuable info. I live in Canada so I call them mechanics. =P

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Good thing the manual states this, otherwise I'm not sure I would know what to do in case of an event like this!

If You Run Out of Fuel​
Take all precautions to prevent the
hybrid vehicle from running out of
fuel. If you do run out of fuel, add fuel
to the fuel tank before trying to restart​
the vehicle or continuing to drive.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
AHHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Good one, Jimmy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my salesman told me that brakes will last much longer too. per his description, the regenerative brakes take most of the load and therefore the pads are doing less work.

also, the transmission fluid never needs to be changed since the case is sealed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thing the manual states this, otherwise I'm not sure I would know what to do in case of an event like this!

If You Run Out of Fuel​
Take all precautions to prevent the
hybrid vehicle from running out of
fuel. If you do run out of fuel, add fuel
to the fuel tank before trying to restart​
the vehicle or continuing to drive.
Why ruin a friendly forum?
I expected more from you, guess not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my salesman told me that brakes will last much longer too. per his description, the regenerative brakes take most of the load and therefore the pads are doing less work.

also, the transmission fluid never needs to be changed since the case is sealed.
Prius owners report anywhere from 100K to 200K before changing the breaks. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am getting my CT in a few weeks and currently driving a IS now. The IS bugs me alot when it reach every 5k the "Oil Change Maintence" alert is on forever. Doss it happen to CT as well?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
As do most Americans...
Nothing against the "mechanic" it just doesn't accurately reflect what is required to work on modern computer laden vehicles.

How else is the dealer going to justify a labor rate of $130 an hour.

We have "mechanics" at work servicing our fleet vehicles. Different pay grades have different skill sets.

"Helpers" do stuff like changing oil and get around $18 an hour "lead technicians" do all the diagnostic stuff, engine rebuilds etc. And get around $38 an hour.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Why ruin a friendly forum?
I expected more from you, guess not.
Sorry mom.

Seriously? I was being facetious! You don't find it funny that this is in the manual? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Nothing against the "mechanic" it just doesn't accurately reflect what is required to work on modern computer laden vehicles.

How else is the dealer going to justify a labor rate of $130 an hour.

We have "mechanics" at work servicing our fleet vehicles. Different pay grades have different skill sets.

"Helpers" do stuff like changing oil and get around $18 an hour "lead technicians" do all the diagnostic stuff, engine rebuilds etc. And get around $38 an hour.
I actually didn't know that, that makes sense though. I will say though that the majority of people I know would use the work "mechanic", just habit I guess. Kind of like saying "Kleenex" for a tissue, even though it's not Kleenex brand! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked up my new CT last Saturday from the Knoxville dealership which is a 4 hour drive. So checked at our local Toyota dealership about oil changes. They want $79 for a simple oil change! The oil runs $7 a quart....needless to say, I'll be changing it myself and keeping my own records.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry mom.

Seriously? I was being facetious! You don't find it funny that this is in the manual? :rolleyes:
I thought it was funny, I understood your humor!

·
Registered
130 Posts
So checked at our local Toyota dealership about oil changes. They want $79 for a simple oil change! The oil runs $7 a quart....needless to say, I'll be changing it myself and keeping my own records.
Synthetic 0W-20 oil is not going to cost you a whole lot less than $7 per quart (if you can find it). I've had a Honda Civic Hybrid since 2003, which also required 0W-20, and have never been able to find an auto parts store that has it in stock.

Some Walmart stores carry it, where it's usually $5-6 for Mobil-1 or Pennzoil synthetic. But it's very hit or miss (at least it is on Long Island). You need 4.5 quarts per oil change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts