Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just finished my 10,000 mile service, which is the last free maintenance included by Lexus.
I am not really impressed enough with Lexus service to want to pay more than I have to for future mainenances so do you guys think I should just take it to Toyota? (Toyota is also way closer than Lexus)

Pros? Cons?

Does anyone know is possible ways to get discount from Lexus maintenance. I have a friend who owns an IS and he says Longo of El Monte (California) always gives him 15% off. It's because he is an older customer though. He recommended this guy but I'm not sure I would be able to take advantage.

Thanks in advance for advice

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey Chik.. You shouldn't have to take it to a Lexus or Toyota dealer for maintenance. I had an RX and I don't think I ever took it to a Lexus dealer. Some people feel best to take it back to Lexus for everything. You can ask a local place to document those things that are supposed to be checked, inspected and performed per the maintenance schedule.

For example at 15K miles:

Rotate tires (you could take it to the shop that you've bought tires from in the past - probably Free)
Replace smart key battery. (do it yourself - $5.00) (see my video for a demonstration and check the owners manual)
Lubricate drive shaft, re-torque nuts and bolts. (tire shop, oil change or other shop - minimal cost)
Reset maintenance reminder light (do it yourself - free)
Check drivers floor mat installed ( do it yourself - free)
10 other "inspections" - (oil change shop, tire shop, other shop... or could even learn to do some of these yourself)

I would print out the schedule and just make sure everything is documented. If you did something simple, you could just initial next to it on the schedule.. If a shop does it just have them list it on the reciept.

There is nothing major that is scheduled in the maintenance schedule really.. Just normal things at 5k or 10k intervals..

Every 30k there are the normal things and engine filter, air-con filter, change brake fluid.

100k is change engine coolant.

120k is replace spark plugs

150k is replace engine and inverter coolant.

Check out the schedule.. Check your owners manual too..

Good luck.. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the response kalo. you're 15,000 suggestion is very helpful most of the things it looks like my dad can do for me
I'm so lazy.. I will definitely take a look at the manual

I heard Lexus may void your warranty if you take it to just any mechanic? Not sure if it's true though. (that's why I thought Toyota would be a pretty good option)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I heard Lexus may void your warranty if you take it to just any mechanic? Not sure if it's true though. (that's why I thought Toyota would be a pretty good option)
There is no way Lexus could void your warranty just by you taking it to someone else for service. Now if that someone else screwed up and caused damage to part of your car, then they could void your warranty when you take it back to Lexus to try to fix it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Chik a little more info on this...

Another thing I wanted to mention is that one needs to ensure those doing maintenance use the fluids specified in the Warranty and Services Guide. So you need to trust them 100% or verify these things yourself. Keep all receipts.

I happened on this information today. Direct from the FTC Consumer Protection Division.

"In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else."

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs: Is Using the Dealer a Must?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chic a little more info on this...

One thing I wanted to mention is that one needs to ensure those doing maintenance use the fluids specified in the Warranty and Services Guide. So you need to trust them 100% or verify these things yourself. Keep all receipts.

I happened on this information today. Direct from the FTC Consumer Protection Division.

"In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else."

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs: Is Using the Dealer a Must?

Thank you! That information is very reassuring. I dont know how I got the idea about the warranty void (I think a salepersons told me). I might have to look for a good hybrid mechanic around the area. Very good info and I appreciate it

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you go to the Lexus site and download the 80 page warranty information, they specifically say that Lexus DOES NOT have to do the services for your warranty to be in tact, but you do need to keep records. I read what's required on this vehicle (I'm picking mine up in three days) and it's minimal! What a pleasure! I hope it proves to be a good car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts