Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost did a DIY on replacing the engine air filter but decided that if you can't figure it out, hire a monkey to do it....he'll get it. Instead all you're going to get is a visual comparison of an OEM Toyota filer against an aftermarket Mahle one.

Mahle on the left; OEM Toyota on the right.

OEM piece has either 40k or 70k miles. I'm going with 40k miles because I'm the second owner as of 37k miles where it looked almost new.

The Mahle unit was purchased from amazon.com (if you didn't recognize the website layout in the picture).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mann, Mahl and Wix are all excellent filters. You can't go wrong with any of them as a replacement for Toyota OEM. I would use whatever was cheaper, whether oil or air filter. As for the cabin filter, I use cheap Chinese units I order on Ebay for about 5 bucks. For my oil filters, I get them from my Toyota dealer for about 6 dollars, which is cheaper than any of the other quality filters available.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Obviously.

None of the filters I noted are "cheap". Perhaps I should have stated, "inexpensive"?

·
Registered
391 Posts
As for the cabin filter, I use cheap Chinese units I order on Ebay for about 5 bucks.
The OEM Lexus cabin air filter has whats called an Electret layer which helps remove charged particles in fresh air and re-circulation mode. I'm not sure the cheapest filter from china is the best idea if wanting to have clean particle free air in the cabin. Also, I wonder about airflow. The Lexus filter is quite fibrous and likely allows more airflow than a lower quality filter with high density. I also take the lower cost route sometimes, just not sure about that in this case. A bit hard to research or test these types of filter.

Video on how to change out the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried a lot of air filters and only made by Toyota but also from different brands and each one was good only for one month and then I had to replace it. I am a neat freak and this is why I hate when there is dust or it stinks in my car so once I decided to buy an ozone generator after I had read about them on Damage Control-911. I am using it for two months already and it's twice longer than I used the air filters before and I don't think that I will replace it soon because it's working perfectly, of course, there are a lot of nuances when using an ozone generator but in my opinion, there are more pros than cons and this is awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried a lot of air filters and only made by Toyota but also from different brands and each one was good only for one month and then I had to replace it. I am a neat freak and this is why I hate when there is dust or it stinks in my car so once I decided to buy an ozone generator after I had read about them on Damage Control-911. I am using it for two months already and it's twice longer than I used the air filters before and I don't think that I will replace it soon because it's working perfectly, of course, there are a lot of nuances when using an ozone generator but in my opinion, there are more pros than cons and this is awesome.
Thanks for the information I was just searching for a good air filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts