Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened to me 3 times this weekend for the first time... Basically I am at a complete stop and out of nowhere I hear a loud high pitch screaching noise coming from front brakes area for a split second.

Anyone has this same issue?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Only had my CT 4 days now so not sure But I would be phoning the dealer for sure to ask if it's something you should be concerned about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i havent had any screeching noise from the breaks. based on riding in a prius for a few months and not the CT, i dont think that would be normal. can you repeat that noise? then bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wife's 2 Prius's never experienced that, nor have I with my CT. I'd take it in to get checked out as soon as you could as that is not normal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't happen all the time so it will be difficult/impossible to replicate at the dealer. Happens randomly and only when at a complete stop so it is a bit odd... I'm almost up for my 5k service so was thinking to just wait until then. I'll be driving the car the next few days and see if it happens again (my wife was using it last few days).

·
Registered
18 Posts
It doesn't happen all the time so it will be difficult/impossible to replicate at the dealer. Happens randomly and only when at a complete stop so it is a bit odd... I'm almost up for my 5k service so was thinking to just wait until then. I'll be driving the car the next few days and see if it happens again (my wife was using it last few days).
can you be referring to the noise when you are in "brake" mode?
I noticed that there is a slight grinding noise when stepping on the brake when in 'B' mode but i think you originally posted that the noise comes after you stopped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can you be referring to the noise when you are in "brake" mode?
I noticed that there is a slight grinding noise when stepping on the brake when in 'B' mode but i think you originally posted that the noise comes after you stopped.
Has happened during regular D mode and when at a complete stop. Like I'll be at a light completely stopped and all of a sudden a loud screaching noise goes off and goes away. Very odd for sure...

·
Registered
516 Posts
You let your wife drive your car...that explains the noise...(just kidding)

·
Registered
164 Posts
You let your wife drive your car...that explains the noise...(just kidding)
I usually only get a whining noise when the wife is in the car with me !;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have it too or something similar. Mine is a high pitched electronic sound when I touch the breaks - in drive or park. I am sure it wasn't there the first couple of weeks I owned the car and told this to the dealer last week when I went in for my 45 day checkup. The tech said it is the regen brakes. I said that I am not moving and it isn't the whiring noise that the regen makes when braking. He just didn't want to hear me so I didn't bother. It might be the starting process of the regen braking but again I was sure it wasn't there in the first couple of weeks, I am used to it now.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I thought the CT 200h didn't have any belts in the engine compartment. Everything is electric, including the water pump.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
something about fuel efficiency. i guess not including belts helps out with keeping things lighter and more fuel efficient and reduces maintenance. I've always hated changing out belts in my previous cars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have it too or something similar. Mine is a high pitched electronic sound when I touch the breaks - in drive or park. I am sure it wasn't there the first couple of weeks I owned the car and told this to the dealer last week when I went in for my 45 day checkup. The tech said it is the regen brakes. I said that I am not moving and it isn't the whiring noise that the regen makes when braking. He just didn't want to hear me so I didn't bother. It might be the starting process of the regen braking but again I was sure it wasn't there in the first couple of weeks, I am used to it now.
Yeah mine definitely was not doing that noise 2 months ago... been driving the car for the past 2 days and have not heard the noise again though. I hate these inconsistent problems... if you can't replicate it then the dealer is usually unable to fix it :mad:. Even when they can replicate it they sometimes still fail to fix it!!! The rattling from my driver's side is still there after 2 visits to the dealer... seems to have gotten worse too. I'll have them check it for the 3rd time when I go in for my 5k service.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Happened to me 3 times this weekend for the first time... Basically I am at a complete stop and out of nowhere I hear a loud high pitch screaching noise coming from front brakes area for a split second.

Anyone has this same issue?
I was getting this high pitch noise today. Very annoying. Seems to happen anytime when it went in to a battery charging mode, while driving at speed or braking. I will be bummed if this doesn't go away.. It was not there the first several days.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine is still happening but infrequently so I don't understand that as I commute the same way to work, drive the same sytle (no harsh take off or braking) and the temperature has been the same for weeks now (so not a warm up etc. type thing).
The best way I can explain it is if you ever wired up a car stereo (incorectly) when you were a kid and the "whiring" noise of the alternator came through your speakers, that is the sound but an even higher frequency and it doesn't change (frequency/pitch).
It happened the other day when I pulled into my garage as I creep in slowly so I am riding the brakes. This time I put it is park and instead of hitting the power button and taking my foot off the brake like usual, I kept the power on and took my foot off the brake (the sound stopped) but when I put my foot back on it made the noise. So I was not moving, in park and it would still do it when pumping the brakes. Can anyone else try this?
I think it just might be the electronics involved in the braking process (regenerative or not) but again it never did this in the first weeks of ownership.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine is still happening but infrequently so I don't understand that as I commute the same way to work, drive the same sytle (no harsh take off or braking) and the temperature has been the same for weeks now (so not a warm up etc. type thing).
The best way I can explain it is if you ever wired up a car stereo (incorectly) when you were a kid and the "whiring" noise of the alternator came through your speakers, that is the sound but an even higher frequency and it doesn't change (frequency/pitch).
It happened the other day when I pulled into my garage as I creep in slowly so I am riding the brakes. This time I put it is park and instead of hitting the power button and taking my foot off the brake like usual, I kept the power on and took my foot off the brake (the sound stopped) but when I put my foot back on it made the noise. So I was not moving, in park and it would still do it when pumping the brakes. Can anyone else try this?
I think it just might be the electronics involved in the braking process (regenerative or not) but again it never did this in the first weeks of ownership.
Remember that just about all of us have iPhones or blackberries and most phones now days have the capability to Record. Record if possible this way you have the proof of noise for the service guys. Just a thought..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Remember that just about all of us have iPhones or blackberries and most phones now days have the capability to Record. Record if possible this way you have the proof of noise for the service guys. Just a thought..
I tried to record mine today.. with no luck.. The high pitch I hear is not super loud, just annoying and intermittent. Definitely related to braking or battery regeneration, although I hear it at speed sometimes too.. When I'm stopped if I let off and on the brakes a bit it comes and goes while doing that.. Wasn't there the first several days, so it's a bummer that I have it now.. Just hope it will go away.. but i'm not so sure it will..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts