Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's sun/shade and the cell phone camera.. it doesn't look matching color in close up picture but, its exact matching color.. I will be taking picture with natural color using my DSLR.. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wait..this is just the cover??? Can u post a pic of the bottom please...can you send me a link of where you bought it and how much please

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
This looks pretty awesome. I'm about the get the same one but I want to make sure everything works.

Can you say that everything is working like the antenna? (reception for radio/cellphone/nav)

·
Registered
842 Posts
This looks pretty awesome. I'm about the get the same one but I want to make sure everything works.

Can you say that everything is working like the antenna? (reception for radio/cellphone/nav)
The cellphone is not connected anywhere and the Nav antenna is somewhere in the dashboard. The AM/FM radio reception stinks with the sharkfin antenna, but not any more than with the factory antenna. I am pretty sure you won't notice any difference, but every station and every locale is different, so there are no guarantees.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Wait..this is just the cover??? Can u post a pic of the bottom please...can you send me a link of where you bought it and how much please

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The two antennae that I have seen differ on the inside. There is one from VG (Virtual Garage?) and one from BeatSonic. I am sure you can find their sites by googling them and I am equally sure that both of them import them from Japan, so the real source is unknown to me. I liked the looks of the BeatSonic one best, but I had the VG one on my Prius and the inside looked fancier but made no difference that I could figure out. There is a wire that connects to the antenna base and then some sort of printed circuit that looks like it is for show. The problem with BeatSonic is that they only match Prius colors so if you have a color that is not also a Prius Color you will have to have it painted or find a contrasting color. I had mine painted. I like it.

232 Posts
Shark Fin Antenna

A true shark fin antenna uses fractal technology for the reception of radio signals. The OEM shark fin antenna on Lexus IS/ES/RX/LS got four elements: one fractal circuitry board for am/fm; and three chipsets for: (1) Sirrus; (2) GPS and (3) enForm. What you have done is just to transfer the stubby antenna connection to the fractal circuitry of your shark fin. You have not altered at all any of the other three elements which are still intact hidden underneath the base. If you care to carefully peel off the headliner you will find four micro coaxial connectors one for each of the elements. I got an Japanese OEM shark fin from Nigel Parts and to my horror the other three elements were missing, since Lexus does not offer it in all of levels of trim in the Japanese market. The photos shows the guts of the Japanese shark fin with its fractal circuitry board but NO chipsets; the replacement that Nigel Parts exchanged for me with fractal board, it's a Tom's brand but it was too small. The inside of the Japanese shark fin does not have the chipset for the other stuff, the space is just empty. I have complained in vain to Nigel Parts and now the guy does not return my eMails. His position is that he just sell parts, he is not responsible for compatibility.

I realized this to my horror when I checked the OEM shark fin part for other Lexus models at Sewell.

PS: Your installation is awesome, at least your were successful. Cellphone connection? I thought the communications for the enForm with SafetyConnect is based on G-Link telematic.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A true shark fin antenna uses fractal technology for the reception of radio signals. The OEM shark fin antenna on Lexus IS/ES/RX/LS got four elements: one fractal circuitry board for am/fm; and three chipsets for: (1) Sirrus; (2) GPS and (3) enForm. What you have done is just to transfer the stubby antenna connection to the fractal circuitry of your shark fin. You have not altered at all any of the other three elements which are still intact hidden underneath the base. If you care to carefully peel off the headliner you will find four micro coaxial connectors one for each of the elements. I got an Japanese OEM shark fin from Nigel Parts and to my horror the other three elements were missing, since Lexus does not offer it in all of levels of trim in the Japanese market. The photos shows the guts of the Japanese shark fin with its fractal circuitry board but NO chipsets; the replacement that Nigel Parts exchanged for me with fractal board, it's a Tom's brand but it was too small. The inside of the Japanese shark fin does not have the chipset for the other stuff, the space is just empty. I have complained in vain to Nigel Parts and now the guy does not return my eMails. His position is that he just sell parts, he is not responsible for compatibility.

I realized this to my horror when I checked the OEM shark fin part for other Lexus models at Sewell.

PS: Your installation is awesome, at least your were successful. Cellphone connection? I thought the communications for the enForm with SafetyConnect is based on G-Link telematic.
The one that I have installed also have those kind of stuffs inside the cover with chip and cabling which helps to make the antenna gate more powerful for signals. Having said that, also I drove without the factory antenna ever since I bought my CT for about a month and I didn't find any difference in sound quality of anything FM/AM/SAT/DA (Destination Assistance) etc... so, it works perfectly that makes me wonder why the heck is this ugly looking antenna sitting there!! Anyways for those whoever wants to have shark fin or worrying about something might break, DO NOT worry about it! If you don't believe me try yourself removing the antenna and listen to radio and all..

Cheers!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.