Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Looking for a diy HID installation guide

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  evilchargerfan 
#1 ·
Just bought my Xtreme HID kit and I was lloking for a diy guide on how to install them.

I found one but I remember seeing a very good step by step guide that I can't find right now.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
my re-post of HID diy

here is a DIY hid which I posted in response to jennyPenny's request. I hope it is useful to you.

• The quality of aftermarket HID is a concern to be reckon with. The spectrum goes from so so to really crappy ones. So be aware what you are getting. I say this because all of the components are Chinese made, regardless what the packaging says. With exception of pricey D1S/D2S Xenon bulbs which are from Japan. I have seen the kits that says it is made in Germany, i.e. with German components, but when you look carefully on the marking imprinted on the Xenon bulb pigtails (which is basically all of HID aftermarket kits) it got faint Chinese characters. Japanese characters and Chinese (kanjee) characters are distinctive of each other.
  • I try to stay with a kit that is around 100-150 bucks. And I stay with 6000 Kelvin temperature.
  • Like many late model cars, there are no exposed wiring whatsoever in the CT engine compartment. So I kept that way, by looming all the HID wiring harness. Just get yourself a length of loom and cover the wiring & tape at each end.
  • What I found of issue is the interconnection of the aftermarket HID wiring harness into the OEM H11 female phenolic connectors. Typically in the HID kit, what they give you is just a pair of bare spade connector. So I got my pre-made type H11 pig tail ready male automotive SAE quality phenolic plugs from eBay for about 12 bucks/each.
  • Once you remove the engine shrouds, the inverter/converter panel, the window washer spout and the air intake snorkel you now can easily access both headlight assemblies. Start w/ driver side which is easier to be accessible first. I lost so many of those infernal push-on plastic fasteners that I bought a pack of 10 pieces from Sewell web site @ .99/ea.
  • While the acoustic panels are removed I also changed the OEM high beams to PIAA Extreme White H9 halogen bulbs.
  • Test each side as you go. It helps to smear some di-electric grease into the female side of the phenolic connector.
  • You really don't have to do any vertical adjustments, they are adjusted to the local market restrictions. In the US, it has to comply with FMVSS part 108, which is typically biased towards right hand side of the roadway. If you really need to, there is a ratchet type knob on the back of the each headlight assembly. At each end on top of the engine shroud there are imprinted directional arrows show which way to aim up or down. Don't make any adjustment until you have driven the car, go over few bumps, filled your gas tank and inflated your tires to correct pressure. You don't have to do any horizontal (side to side) adjustments.
  • My aftermarket HID works in all positions of the light stalk switch, i.e. auto and manual.
  • Again, there is no right or wrong ways of doing this. It is primarily a personal preference of what you feel it is right.
  • After this, I also converted my fogs to HID as well. Initially I got a pair of CREE LED but it was too thick and wouldn't fit in the socket. I got short HID bulbs for the fogs. It is just awesome during fog/raining days.
Please let me know if there are any specific questions you want me to answer.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
There is nothing much to HID diy! It is quite simple and straight forward... remove engine shrouds; unplug the factory H11 connector; snap in the HID bulb w/pigtail; connect power to the oem H11 female connector either w/ kit supplied spade connector (sloppy way) or do with a pre-made H11 harness from eBay (much neater); tuck in all the loose wiring with ties; secure the electronic ballast (they are small sized if you chose solid state version) with industrial heat resistant double sided tape and you are done!!! ... enjoy it.

#4 ·
There are lierally hundreds of step by step guides online and multiple videos on youtube

The CT install is no different than the instructions and videos you will find on-line and from the HID kit seller.

heres the link to my abbreviated "how to" which explains how I installed the components out of sight

HID Slim Ballast Kit Installed - 55 watt 4500 k

#7 ·
When I installed my HIDs, I had no issues. On another note though, are anybody's engine cover pins/fasteners loose? I had no problems removing them when I pushed them in. Question is, do I need to push them back up to get them tight on the cover?

#8 ·
You need to reset the clips by pulling the center up until the bottom part froms a point. Insert then press until the insert is flush ( when you removed pressed below flush to release). If this isn't clear, I looked it up in the 2013 manual and there are pictures on page 526 showing how to do what I said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.