Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rotating thewheels on our Prius and was just tightening the security nut and thekey sheared off in the nut. I have now been left with a key with nospare and am unable to remove the wheels.
I have always tightenedthe nuts by hand and used a torquewrench to finish off. The ease with which the key sheared offindicated a stress fracture meaning that the keys are susceptible towork hardening and are therefore likely to shear off with regular useor (suffer the thought ) impact wrenching.
My previous Volvos,Audi and Honda all had spare keys and therefore wouldnt have been aproblem. The Toyota doesnt have a spare key and the universal removaltools do not work on the Toyota design of nut.
Luckily I have anut which I hadnt yet fitted and I have the old key. Once I removethe nuts I will be replacing them with conventional wheel nuts sinceI am sure that at some time in the cars past someone has "gunned"the key nuts leading to the key failiure. That someone would, withoutany shaddow of doubt, refer to him or herself as a trainedprofessional since amatures tend not to have access to impact guns.
Iam tempted to mig weld a nut onto the ends of these locking nuts butwill bide my time while the dealers try to get a key for me.
MyLexus uses exactly the same type of locking wheel nuts and the boxhas the same part number on it. and so I compared the keys to findthat each key has a letter stamped onto the top of it. My brokenprius key is a J whilst my Lexus key is an X. I assume that this isthe factory ident which is worth making a note of.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I hate locking wheel nuts they cause nothing but problems. I have removed them fom the Ct. Fortunately we don't have to park in dubious neighborhoods.

232 Posts
Stay away from locking wheel nuts. They will cause inbalance on your wheels and upset the CV joints. It is not used on high end vehicles, i.e. bmw, mazerati, porsche, etc ... You are not supposed to torque up the locking nut as you would for the regular nut. What happened is that someone probalby used air wrench to overtorque the locking nut. I apply anti sizing compound to the locking wheel nut ONLY, but I do not torque to the spec's either. Never apply anti sizing compound to any of the high tensile lug/nut for it will "creep" the threads, and you will for sure be compromising the safety of your vehicle. On high end vehicles they use lugs instead of nuts. Unless you got a security issue lose them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound advice. I now have wheels which are equiped with 5 identical nuts and the appearance at least is much better! Since the manufacturers of cars have been designing wheels which are offset to clear calipers, fit into stylised wheel arches, sized to create desired ride and handling characteristics the days of the professional wheel thief seem to be 10 years or more in the past or is it me who just lives in a more honest locale?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sound advice. I now have wheels which are equiped with 5 identical nuts and the appearance at least is much better! Since the manufacturers of cars have been designing wheels which are offset to clear calipers, fit into stylised wheel arches, sized to create desired ride and handling characteristics the days of the professional wheel thief seem to be 10 years or more in the past or is it me who just lives in a more honest locale?
I think those wheel thieves only steel those rediculously oversized 26" Donk wheels now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts