Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to swap out the Nickel-metal hydride with a Lithium-ion battery.

I ask because it seems other manufacturers are now featuring the power endowed, smaller sized Lithium-ion batteries. So when the NiMh dies... do we have options when it comes time to replace?

I've read the NiMh batteries last longer but don't hold as much juice but I would expect Lithium-ion durability to get much better in the next several years.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
71 Posts
A dealer once told me that Toyota/Lexus have replaced a total of 9 hybrid batteries over the life of their hybrid program. He went on to state that the vast majority of these were due to accidents or other customer negligence.

Maybe he was just blowing smoke, but I think the warranty on the hybrid system is good up to 100K miles, which AFAIK is the best offered by any manufacturer.

My wife had a first-gen Civic hybrid, and by the time she traded it after about 5 years, we noticed that her battery would not fully charge based on the dashboard display, but there was no drop in performance as far as we could tell.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're in a California emissions-class state, the warranty is 10 years or 150,000 miles.

Really nobody knows how long they'll last in the real world under real conditions, as not enough of them have failed yet.

Either way, current cost on the battery for replacement is just over $2k + Labor, not too awful when you consider other cars like the Nissan Leaf where the battery costs over $18,000!

The leaf will be completely worthless once that battery starts going, it's a disposable car.

The Chevy Volt on the other hand, maybe they can rip out that huge heavy battery, put in a small used one, and at least keep running in gas only mode most of the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.