Lexus CT200h Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was shocked however to see that the 3.5 in woofers weren't moving AT ALL. I couldn't even feel anything if I put my finger on the speaker surround. I can only assume that this is due to the cross-over point of the OEM head unit blocking bass and midrange from going to the speakers.
And here is answer why - onboard crossover :) right behind the headunit...

simple 6db Hipass filter on two 10mF capasitors, i suppose it's about 4Khz.

·
Registered
69 Posts
very much appreciate your write up,Leonar40! I am going to replace my Dash grill speaker first!!!
In your opinion, how much do they they sound different after you replace the front door speakers?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
And here is answer why - onboard crossover :) right behind the headunit...
Cool, thanks for the pics, nice to see what they are using.

In your opinion, how much do they they sound different after you replace the front door speakers?
In my case I used a 3-way speaker (two tweeters) so the sound difference was very noticeable once I made the switch. Between the dash and the doors there is a lot cleaner highs coming from the front of the car now, with more volume.

·
Registered
69 Posts
have my dash speakers replaced this weekend. volume becomes bigger now and more background sounds are noticeable.
Definitely worth it. planning to change the front door speakers also!!:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
have my dash speakers replaced this weekend. volume becomes bigger now and more background sounds are noticeable.
Definitely worth it. planning to change the front door speakers also!!:)
Hey Yamaturkey,

Did you leave the crossover in place, or did you end up removing it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post leanar40, thanks! Just got the CT, base model and this was exactly what I was looking for. Just ordered the 3.5's and 6x9's. Can't wait to get working.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just finished the front door speakers replacement today! thanks for all the tips!! you covered everything I need in the tutorial, thank you so much again for the great write up!!!! Now I feel my car is alive finally!!!!!!sound so much better than the original speakers!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Great, glad that you found the write-up useful. Replacing all the speakers and adding the powered sub took my system from a 4/10 to a 7.5 or 8/10 in my opinion, which is about the best I could have hoped for without replacing the OEM head unit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great, glad that you found the write-up useful. Replacing all the speakers and adding the powered sub took my system from a 4/10 to a 7.5 or 8/10 in my opinion, which is about the best I could have hoped for without replacing the OEM head unit.
did you get any static from your speakers when the radio is switched off?
seem like a common issue for replacing speakers with aftermarket ones

·
Registered
20 Posts
No it doesn't. Most aftermarket amps have level inputs built in just try those first. If your satisfied it will be very cost effective. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
photo.jpg
I lieu of cutting the wires for the dash speakers and not being able to find an aftermarket adapter, I made some of my own using the above components. Just plugged them in and worked perfectly, unfortunately I didn't think to take pics until after I finished the install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you leonar40 for the write-up. Just replaced my dash speakers, and 6x9s should arrive tomorrow.

I'm not finding much on replacement of the a-pillar tweeters. Anyone who has suggestions (including speaker removal- the air bag in there concerns me a bit) please chime in.

Harbor Freight had a 5 piece plastic trim removal kit for $6.99. Made super easy work of the dash grilles.

Note: my Infinity dash speakers did not come with wire, or female spade connectors. Something that is handy to have on hand, or make sure you purchase before starting the replacement process.

Edit: Added the 6x9s in the door. Fantastic improvement. Highly recommend.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts