Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Replacement radio arrived today! I'll be doing the install on Saturday and I'll let everyone know if that fixes my bad audio channel and a few other weird things. One major bug that the first radio had is that it doesn't have any sound when you restart the car. What I mean by that is I can use it fine on radio, USB, whatever. I turn the car off just like anyone would do. The next day when I turn the car back on, it tries to resume playing from where I left it like you would think it would and it even shows the song progressing on the counter but no sound comes out. I have to cycle through all the inputs to "reset" it and then the sound comes back on. I assume yours is not like that right thetrueman2? Hopefully related to the same issue that caused the missing front right speaker and the replacement radio will fix both things, some kind of bug with the sound processor.

Other than those two things, for the most part I like it. There are a couple minor gripes. For instance the display shows the actual file name of the mp3 being played off the USB stick instead of the ID tag. That means instead of seeing the song title as "Hound Dog" it shows whatever the file is called, usually something like "05 - Elvis - Hound Dog". A lot of times that doesn't fit in the allowed character space and there doesn't seem to be any way to change the view like the OEM radio had.

Another thing is the phone integration isn't great. Yes it allows you to make calls and receive calls over bluetooth, but you can't start calls over bluetooth like the OEM radio allows. There doesn't seem to be any way to map the "talk" button on the steering wheel to start a phone call, so it's not truly hands free. You have to go into the phone app, then select the contact to start the call with your finger, then talk. For that matter you can't talk to the radio at all and give it commands like you could with the OEM radio.

As far as customer service I would say it was surprisingly good for a no-name company. I had a number of back and forth emails through the Aliexpress message feature to figure out what to do about the return and how to get the replacement radio. I generally received a reply in just a few hours and thought they were reasonable with their solution. The proof will be in whether or not the replacement radio fixes my issues though.

Looking forward to Saturday!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I give up guys. I installed the replacement radio today and I could not believe it. It has the exact same issues as the first radio. That is, no front right speaker output and the rear speakers are swapped. Surely that means the issue was in the wiring harness right? So I swapped to the replacement radio's harness and that did not help! I then put the OEM radio back in, and everything is working properly, so I know the issue is not in the car's wiring. It's as if this radio is not fully compatible with my model year, 2011. I don't know what else to think. I've spent over 8 hours on this project and bought two radios and am now back to exactly where I was before I started. Time to try and return both radios now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I have a (jan.) 2012 CT and think mine works ok with the audio channels. Only difference I can think of is that I have a european car, tho I wouldn't expect there to be any major differences there. I'll keep my unit for the time being, primarily because it's already built in and I'm past any reasonable return date.

With Chinese units in general it's kindof a hit or miss, but with the numerous issues I have with it it's hard to recommend it. With an off-name brand it's hard to get a polished product, for the CT there's just very few units that fit at all. If you're going to buy any other brand and test it please let us know :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Interesting, most all the reviews I saw on Aliexpress were from Europe as well. Wonder if there is a slight difference in the wiring between US and Europe? I mean, it's so close. Power, steering wheel controls, all that are wired right but something just isn't right with the speakers. Have you ever gone into the "Audio Stage" setting and moved the cursor around? Move it to the 4 corners and see if everything is wired right for you (left is really left, right is really right, etc)

Even if the speakers were correct I agree with you, there are enough bugs in the software that it would be hard to fully recommend it. FYI, I've opened a dispute on Aliexpress and expect the return information this week. Thankfully I didn't damage anything during all this in and out so at least the OEM radio still works correctly. Thankful for that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there CT owners,

I also have this radio, in an european car (the Netherlands). Has anyone been expierencing problems with the finding sattelites with the navigation? Sometimes sattelites are found within a few minutes, sometimes it takes forever. When I give the GPS receiver a few gentle taps with my hand (it's on the dashboard under the windscreen). I find just a little more sattelites. Do any of you don't have issuess at all finding sattelites? I've tried every setting available on the location android settings.

Also Waze is working pretty great for me, almost never crashes. I use my phone as a wifi hotspot and bluetooth Spotify to listen music, works great and remembers all the settings.

Also have a subwoofer hooked up, that wasn't a problem with this radio. Will be setting up better front speakers and tweeters in a while.

For anyone still hesetating, I could recommend it if you can look past the minor flaws.

I am curious to hear about your GPS commcetions.

Thanks, Thijs

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have same aliexpress stereo and have no GPS issues. I mount the attenae under the center speaker cover. There is a tab perfect for mounting it. I had all sorts of trouble like yours when I mounted it behind the radio. It vertically mounted with the dome facing in. It would take forever to find aats and would lose signal and do loops when I was stopped at intersections. All resolved when I mounted it on a flat surface parallel to the ground.
You may want to unmounted it and try orienting in different way to see if you get better results. These cheap accessories do need the most ideal conditional to work properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I give up guys. I installed the replacement radio today and I could not believe it. It has the exact same issues as the first radio. That is, no front right speaker output and the rear speakers are swapped. Surely that means the issue was in the wiring harness right? So I swapped to the replacement radio's harness and that did not help! I then put the OEM radio back in, and everything is working properly, so I know the issue is not in the car's wiring. It's as if this radio is not fully compatible with my model year, 2011. I don't know what else to think. I've spent over 8 hours on this project and bought two radios and am now back to exactly where I was before I started. Time to try and return both radios now.
It is because you removed the SOS unit that was on top of the OEM radio. The right front speaker is used by the SOS system as an output. Plug that back it and your problems are solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same aliexpress stereo and have no GPS issues. I mount the attenae under the center speaker cover. There is a tab perfect for mounting it. I had all sorts of trouble like yours when I mounted it behind the radio. It vertically mounted with the dome facing in. It would take forever to find aats and would lose signal and do loops when I was stopped at intersections. All resolved when I mounted it on a flat surface parallel to the ground.
You may want to unmounted it and try orienting in different way to see if you get better results. These cheap accessories do need the most ideal conditional to work properly.
Thanks for your quick reply, I've relocated the receiver, will be testing for this week.
I will try to get the wire trough the dashboard behind te cabin air filter like you suggested in another topic.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts