Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have posted several threads on here about my experience with my car. Since I bought it, I always felt that I had a lot of vibration feedback from driving over roads in the steering wheel and floor boards. I have been to the dealer and they always looked under the car and said everything looked fine.

I noticed a few people on here had problems with their steering components (intermediate shaft, u-joint, rack n pinion)
I saw a video of someone who had a problem with their intermediate shaft u-joint making a clunking noise whenever they turn their steering wheel and when bringing to the dealer, the tech found problem with a loose component.

I also read somewhere that someone had a problem with their steering rack also when they had this clunking noise.

I saw that toyota had a big problem with their intermediate shafts on the corolla and matrix line.
Our CT is based off of the matrix ( not sure if anyone has noticed that)

Well I got in my car and my car makes the same noise i saw in the video and I just felt like maybe thats why I feel so much feedback through my steering wheel. Also lately i noticed on the highway that i have to make a lot more corrections to the steering wheel than in the past just to keep the car driving straight.
I took the car for a wheel alignment and it was spot on. Also the tires are only 3 months old in regarding to the tram lining effect I'm having.

I took a video and would like to see if anyone else is knowledgable with this problem and to see if anyone else car does this too.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Did you bring it to a Lexus dealer? Sounds like my issue. Don't let them tell you it's the intermediate shaft unless they can prove it. Mine was just a loose bolt that needed to be tightened.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im going to the Lexus dealer on Monday. My car is still under factory warranty with only 39k on it. The knock isn't as bad as yours but does sound very similar. What i wanted to ask you is if you noticed the car driving any different, and noises or vibrations in your steering wheel from driving on any roads before and after?
Also what bolt was loose? did they show you or explain to you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey so I went to the dealer today. I showed their shop foreman the clunk noise and were it was coming from.
He immediately said that's not normal.
They got me in a loaner car and just got a call they ordered a new intermediate shaft.

Oh the funny thing is he said he had two ct's in the shop for the same problem. So I would expect to see an official TSB or recall for this part like they did with the Prius.

Hopefully get my car back in a day or two.

Hope this post helps anyone experiencing this issue.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey so I went to the dealer today. I showed their shop foreman the clunk noise and were it was coming from.
He immediately said that's not normal.
They got me in a loaner car and just got a call they ordered a new intermediate shaft.

Oh the funny thing is he said he had two ct's in the shop for the same problem. So I would expect to see an official TSB or recall for this part like they did with the Prius.

Hopefully get my car back in a day or two.

Hope this post helps anyone experiencing this issue.
Thanks for the heads up. What year is your car? Wondering if it's limited to certain year? Also if you can tell us what the actutal part is called that they are replacing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is a 2012.
I am picking it up tonight but I was told the intermediate shaft.

I'll post back if it's different.

I'll also ask the foreman what year the other cars are too but I looked at some part break downs for the 13 and 14 and I believe it's the same shaft that is in the 12.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OKAY final update!!

I got my car back and WOW. It drives like a brand new car. The steering is so tight and precise and no more noises or vibrations through the floor board or steering wheel. That was the problem the entire time i have owned this car.

Im going to call the shop foreman tomorrow, since he was gone for the day by time i got there to pick up my car and thank him for giving me the experience back in which i originally bought the car for. I know its his job, but I'm just so grateful to get this resolved after so much disappointment and stress the last 7 months.

And I hope if anyone else reads this that feels their car is developing handling issues or clunks, noises or unusual vibrations coming from the floor up to the steering wheel to have this part checked out because its very easily overlooked by mechanics because they don't expect it to fail, but on the CT200 its looking like it is THE part to fail on us. Again thanks to all who stopped by to read this and I hope it helps many others as the years go on.

ALSO if MY95TSI reads this, I would like your input and also how is the new part installed holding up so far. Thanks =)

·
Registered
990 Posts
OKAY final update!!

I got my car back and WOW. It drives like a brand new car. The steering is so tight and precise and no more noises or vibrations through the floor board or steering wheel. That was the problem the entire time i have owned this car.

Im going to call the shop foreman tomorrow, since he was gone for the day by time i got there to pick up my car and thank him for giving me the experience back in which i originally bought the car for. I know its his job, but I'm just so grateful to get this resolved after so much disappointment and stress the last 7 months.

And I hope if anyone else reads this that feels their car is developing handling issues or clunks, noises or unusual vibrations coming from the floor up to the steering wheel to have this part checked out because its very easily overlooked by mechanics because they don't expect it to fail, but on the CT200 its looking like it is THE part to fail on us. Again thanks to all who stopped by to read this and I hope it helps many others as the years go on.

ALSO if MY95TSI reads this, I would like your input and also how is the new part installed holding up so far. Thanks =)
I didn't get a new part. My dealer informed me that the intermediate shaft did was no the issue. It was actually just a loose bolt which was causing the steering knock. They had my car for less than and hour to figure out the issue. My dealer is one of the largest volume Lexus dealers in the country and they informed me that they've seen this a couple times on CT but has yet to actually see one with a failed intermediate shaft. I have 75k on my CT and it's a 2011.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that good. When I spoke to the shop foreman he said if there is any play on the u joint he changes the whole shaft.
Maybe yours was just a bolt. Mine may have had more wear on it.

Question does your car drive better since they tightened your bolt?

Because there is night and day how my car drives with the new shaft so it must have been really worn.

Please let me know the difference of any

·
Registered
990 Posts
I guess that good. When I spoke to the shop foreman he said if there is any play on the u joint he changes the whole shaft.
Maybe yours was just a bolt. Mine may have had more wear on it.

Question does your car drive better since they tightened your bolt?

Because there is night and day how my car drives with the new shaft so it must have been really worn.

Please let me know the difference of any
My car never drive any differently before or after, it was simply a noise that I heard. My steering has alway felt fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah see my car was driving bad on the highway. Like tram lining.
Also felt every peice of the road. Every imperfection. And no matter how many wheel alignments I. Old never get the steering wheel straight. On top of that I had the clunking noise. But replacing that shaft seems to have fixed everything. So my part must have been really bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts