Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just noticed something on my 2011 CT that I never noticed before. While stationary if I turn my steering wheel quickly left or right I get a knocking sound in both directions. The knocking is coming from the outside of the vehicle somewhere around the front suspension area. Even while moving at low speeds if I turn the wheel quickly in either direction I can hear or feel the knocking. When making normal turns I hear nothing, just the short quick movements in either direction that makes a knocking noise.

I also uploaded a video so you can see for yourself. Not sure if this is normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVwDzqhMWUM&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
16 Posts
metal on metal noise?

·
Registered
187 Posts
This definitely isn't normal. I am guessing it's the suspension. A suspension is supposed to last a lifetime. So should be the steering. Whatever it is, this is out of ordinary. A visit to the dealership is the logical next step. You should be covered.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This definitely isn't normal. I am guessing it's the suspension. A suspension is supposed to last a lifetime. So should be the steering. Whatever it is, this is out of ordinary. A visit to the dealership is the logical next step. You should be covered.
Oh no I'm well out of warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any good repair shop should be able to put it up on a lift and inspect it. I certainly wouldn't want to mess with potential front end issue. If you do, make sure the brakes work! :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back from the dealer. News is not good. Both intermediate shafts are shot. $1500 repair from Toyota. This isn't Lexus, as they would want about 50-70% more. Might be time to find a new vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Boy! That's surprising to me! Any idea what could make them go bad so quickly?
How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy! That's surprising to me! Any idea what could make them go bad so quickly?
How many miles on the car?
They have no idea. They said they've never seen it before on a car less than 100,000 miles. It currently has 67000 miles on it. I'm going to open up a case through Lexus to see if they will cover outside of warranty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is not good news at all. I hope you hadn't played with springs and suspensions. I don't even know if they can be cited as the reasons for drive shaft failing. Hell, even my other 15 year old american haven't have a drive shaft issue and it is 270k clicks old. This is sad.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is not good news at all. I hope you hadn't played with springs and suspensions. I don't even know if they can be cited as the reasons for drive shaft failing. Hell, even my other 15 year old american haven't have a drive shaft issue and it is 270k clicks old. This is sad.
Well it's not a drive shaft as our cars don't have one since they are fwd. It's an intermediate shaft which is steering related only. The car does not have any suspension or steering modifications. It's 100% stock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This seems to explain your issue.

The U-joints on the intermediate shaft gets worn out and clunks when you change steering directions.
I guess there is slop in the joints from wear, but then what caused the wear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
According to others there may not be an issue with the u-joints, it could be a grease problem on the spline expansion joint.
This video shows how some guy refilled it with oil using a syringe.

The guy may be a religious nut, but his solution may work.

Looks like this was a common issue for a while.

There is a toyota syringe grease kit to do what the guy did in the video P/N 04007-76133.
http://www.toyotapart.com/04007-76133.html
TSB about using the kit: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35722

Here is another forum with pictures about regreasing the shaft.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/346691-intermediate-steering-shaft-greasing-diy.html
A poster there report it took him less than 1 hour to remove and regrease.

I would try the grease fix first before replacing the intermediate shaft.
I would also try to grease it without removing it like the guy does in the video.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes there is play in the shaft which causes a knocking. It's not a safety concern but it will only get worse. It's going into Lexus on Tuesday to get their professional opinion as the shop the diagnosed it at first was a Toyota dealership. They said it's very common in Rav4's beyond 100,000 miles but they've never seen it in a car. Lexus told me there is a good change it will be covered outside of my warranty as its a freak issue that should never happen. I'm curious as to how it wore out too. Apparently it's a PITA to get to which is why it costs so much. Toyota estimated 3 days worth of work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This shows pictures of a steering intermediate shaft with damage on the splines.
Luscious Garage | Blog | Prius Steering Intermediate Shaft Recall C0T - Details for Owners

Here is another TSB with step by step instructions on replacement. It says all you need to hold the steering wheel straight is the seat belt. It seems like an easy procedure to do.
http://lusciousgarage.com/images/uploads/T-CP-C0T-A510-D.pdf

Apparently the main cause was manufacturing the splines from a bad batch of steel with the incorrect hardness.
This happens if the manufacture or the raw material supplier lied about the material hardness.
It can also happen if the heat treat of the steel went wrong in some way or if the quenching process was inadequate.
That can lead to the steel being too soft and then deforming from normal use.

I dont know about the 3 days. Maybe they just want to the car for 3 days and they will do the work whenever they can fit it in.
Everything online puts the work at about 1 hr to change the shaft.

Hopefully they replace it for you for free, since the only way this can happen is from a defect in manufacturing. There is no way usage caused this failure unless your car was put in a 600 degree oven.

If they refuse to fix the part for free, save the bad shaft and have them hardness tested.
It should cost you less than $50 to have an inspection shop to do a hardness punch on it for you.
Then file a BBB complaint and possibly do small claims if Toyota/Lexus refuses to reimburse you.

Now if it is not damaged, but just a grease issue they should also grease it for you for free to fix the problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts