Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 base model. I just got a brand new key fob from the dealer today.

I was parked outside of a store. I had just gotten in my car and realized I left something inside. I ran back into the store. I left the car running. I was gone for less than 2 minutes. When I got back in the car I threw it into drive and took off pretty quickly because I was in a rush. Immediately, the dash started saying "key not detected" while I was driving out of the parking lot. It eventually disappeared off the dash.

Is this normal? Did I hop in the car too quickly and change gears for the car to realize the key was in proximity? My key fob is always on the front of my pants on a key ring.

It was above freezing temperatures if that matters. I believe it was around 40°F.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I'm also noticing the doors don't unlock when I place my hand on it (sometimes). The trunk doesn't open when pressing on the trunk release button unless I press unlock on the keyfob first. I never had that happen before. I'll try experimenting with my previous keyfobs to see if there's any change. The batteries are new. Something is going on...

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update: I took my original spare key and tried to lock the car by placing my hand on the door handle. The car immediately let out a 6 second long tone and then did nothing. I'm suspicious when I had my new keyfob programmed the courtesy features were wiped out by the dealer.

Update 3/12/23: Long solid tone noise/alarm indicated there was a keyfob left inside vehicle (I left my spare in a bookbag). This is also displayed on the dash during the alert.

@ZedCZ
@NewShockerGuy

Can you confirm which version of Techstream is needed to use on our cars? I bought firmware 1.4.1, but the seller is saying I need 2.0.4.

Edit: I got Techstream to work. Does anyone know the setting to allow the touching of the door handles to unlock the car? The unlock settings aren't obvious to me.

Edit 2: The car seems to be working properly now. Maybe it's because applying some changes via Techstream refreshed the ECU.

Test 1: Lock car. Wait for all lights to dim on the interior. Walk up to the trunk and press the unlock button once. Trunk unlocks. Success.

Test 2. Lock car. Wait for all lights to dim on the interior. Walk up to the driver/passnger door and touch handle. Door(s) (all doors) unlock.

Test 3: Remote start car (aftermarket). All doors lock, then car starts. Success.
Prior to this when the doors were giving me issues, the car would remain UNLOCKED when I remote started it.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

Update 3/12/23: It seems whoever owned my car before me had some personalized settings enabled. That's why I thought all my settings were on the default OEM settings. This still doesn't explain why I had some issues with the electronic key detection, but it's now working.

I was able to confirm touching the door handle without using Techstream to change settings is enabled by default. I did however, change the "DISP" Personal settings on the category "Select which doors to unlock" from "Driver Only" to "All". For whatever reason, the car refused to detect my key, which is why I could not open the trunk or use the lock/unlock button on the trunk lid.

The car seems to be working properly now. Maybe it's because applying some settings and applying them to the car "refreshed" the ECU.

· Registered
1 Posts
My car battery ended up being low when this happened to me. It was subtle and I did not even consider it being car battery, later, maybe a week or so.... went to get in car and nothing worked, fob wouldn't open the doors (I then used the manual key). The car battery was DEAD. New car battery and all is good.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car battery ended up being low when this happened to me. It was suttle and I did not my even consider it being car battery, and soon I went out and nothing worked, fob wouldn't open the doors, then used the manual key, and worked. But the car battery was DEAD. New car battery and all is good.
That would have made total sense for my situation, but I just replaced the 12V battery a few months ago from the dealer. I never was able to figure out what the root cause was, but it appears to be behaving after I checked the settings on the Techstream software. This is an odd issue to have...

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"the trunk doesn't open when pressing on the trunk release button unless I press unlock on the keyfob first"

This can be set in Techstream (diagnostic software).
@ZedCZ

Update: I have a theory on why my doors and trunk refused to work when I attempted to open/lock/unlock them.

1. The prior owner/dealership must have turned off the "Beep" the car makes when you use the lock/unlock feature. Which means, the car NEVER made any noises for "alerts". I confirmed this after looking into the Techstream software. All alerts/confirmation beeps were disabled (not by default).

2. My theory is, when I got the new key fob paired with my car, I must have left the old key fob in the trunk while forgetting to remove it from my bag. This means, I only figured out I left the key in the trunk because I re-enabled the "alerts" the car makes with the Techstream software. After I did that, it was VERY obvious there was a problem with my door locks because I got that long "beeeeeeeeeeeep" noise if I pressed on the door handle. This lead me to read the dash which displayed an error message. I removed the key from the trunk and the door handle touch didn't produce anymore alerts after that. So, I believe it's very possible this was all because the audible alerts were disabled combined with leaving a keyfob in the trunk this whole time.

Other than that, I'm out of theories :-D. These problems only started after I got my 3rd key fob from the dealer. Nonetheless, I am currently not having any issues at the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts