Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why but my 2012 CT had been chewing through key FOB batteries like crazy. I am having to replace them every 3-4 months.
Anyone else have this issue or know what might cause the battery to drain so rapidly.

·
Registered
486 Posts
about 6 months for me
so yeah, it seems that it does fairly quickly.

my nissan alitma (also smartkey) lasted like 3 years before needing replacing

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am having to replace them every 3-4 months.
Anyone else have this issue or know what might cause the battery to drain so rapidly.
about 6 months for me
so yeah,
Mine is about 12-18 months average.
My CT is getting close to 3 years and I drive it everyday. I have yet to replace the battery yet. Are you guys putting the fob near your computer or smartphone? Near your car?

·
Registered
486 Posts
yes, mine sits on my desk next to my laptop all day
in the car, it is in the driver side door handle

do you need to reprogram it when you replace the battery?

·
Registered
352 Posts
As lostchild eluded to, keep it away from other electronics, especially those that transmit. Also keep it some distance from the car when not in use since proximity will cause it to communicate with each other.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine are three years old and both still on the original battery. I always carry my key in the condom pocket of my jeans. I always use keyless entry/exit and have never pushed a button on the key. Maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine is like 2 years and still running. I replace it anyway.

·
Registered
842 Posts
One of mine started showing "low battery" a few weeks ago after 2 years, so I replaced both of them. Walmart is the cheapest but Radio Shack has the same battery for slightly more. My wife's old GS had one battery replacement in five years. I think two to three years is normal. I agree that using the buttons on the key has to shorten the battery life.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't remember. I just know that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Everything was still working.
Low battery is indicated on the driver information Center. I have to agree with some if the posts and keeping it away from cell phones. But I have noticed that it works much better when I don't have my other key fob (GM) one on the same key set. Why that is is crazy because the GM one is an rf remote so it's only active when you press the button.

guess I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
609 Posts
yes, mine sits on my desk next to my laptop all day
in the car, it is in the driver side door handle

do you need to reprogram it when you replace the battery?
How close is your laptop to the key fob? When I am at work, my key fob is in the right front pocket and it is about 18" from my laptop, and it is fine (almost 3 yrs). I think you just cannot be be right next to the laptop.

The other thing I read that could drain the battery of the fob is hanging the key too close to the car at home. Some people hang their keys by the garage door to the home and it is within 5 or 6 feet of the car.

·
Registered
486 Posts
How close is your laptop to the key fob? When I am at work, my key fob is in the right front pocket and it is about 18" from my laptop, and it is fine (almost 3 yrs). I think you just cannot be be right next to the laptop.

The other thing I read that could drain the battery of the fob is hanging the key too close to the car at home. Some people hang their keys by the garage door to the home and it is within 5 or 6 feet of the car.

might be the case. it is right next to the laptop, an inch away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts