Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I don't see the wattage of this kit. H11 will fit your existing connectors.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been noticed from my local dealer, that Toyota Motors RUS do not recommend to install HID lights on Lexus hybrid cars... They sad, that this could damage the invertor-module. Actually, this sounds strange, cause i see a lot of usa-owners here install HID lights and pretty happy :)

Does anyone heard something about HID light on Toyota hybrids?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I've been noticed from my local dealer, that Toyota Motors RUS do not recommend to install HID lights on Lexus hybrid cars... They sad, that this could damage the invertor-module. Actually, this sounds strange, cause i see a lot of usa-owners here install HID lights and pretty happy :)

Does anyone heard something about HID light on Toyota hybrids?
The OEM light is 55Watts, the replacements are 35 and 55 Watts and will cause no issues. The circuit is fused and fuses are designed to be the weak point an fail before anything else fails.The dealer is giving you a response based on ignorance, meaning they are uninformed about what they are talking about and to be safe giving you the Lexus party line answer ... Non Lexus ..either it won't work or it can potentially cause damage for which we will assume absolutely no liability.

Just for fun, tell your Toyota Motors RUS that you want to talk with a technician and have him or her explain to you is clear detail how the lights are connected to the invertor-module and how lights could possibly cause a problem in the invertor module if the OEM lights are replaced with the same of less wattage HID lights. 100-to-1 they won't be able to explain or give you an answer .. leading to my bottom line summary pure FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
The OEM light is 55Watts, the replacements are 35 and 55 Watts and will cause no issues. The circuit is fused and fuses are designed to be the weak point an fail before anything else fails.The dealer is giving you a response based on ignorance, meaning they are uninformed about what they are talking about and to be safe giving you the Lexus party line answer ... Non Lexus ..either it won't work or it can potentially cause damage for which we will assume absolutely no liability.

Just for fun, tell your Toyota Motors RUS that you want to talk with a technician and have him or her explain to you is clear detail how the lights are connected to the invertor-module and how lights could possibly cause a problem in the invertor module if the OEM lights are replaced with the same of less wattage HID lights. 100-to-1 they won't be able to explain or give you an answer .. leading to my bottom line summary pure FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt)
While you are almost certainly right, the problem lies with the fact that Toyota is famous for almost always refusing to do any modifications to the wiring or to connect anything to the wiring that is not a Toyota part because "it would void the warranty!" As you said, that is the party line and most dealer service departments stick to it, regardless of truth, logic, scientific evidence notwithstanding. The main problem is that if they want to deny your coverage because of some minor modification, eventually the only way you can fight them is in court and that means you have to go hire an expert witness to testify that it didn't do anything to cause the failure and they don't have to hire anyone because they have hundreds of engineers on staff, many of whom go to court every day to testify in other product liability cases. It is an almost insurmountable obstacle for a private person. A plaintiffs lawyer might be able to have a couple of experts under contract to counter this, but they don't come cheap and they aren't going to be cost effective in a case for a few hundred dollars of lost warranty coverage. Or even a few thousand dollars.

I tried to get them to give me a switched wire and ground wire to hook up my radar detector on my Prius (I know, delusions of grandeur and a total waste of time and money) and they refused. I did it myself because I knew I could reach in there and pull off those two wires any time I had an electrical problem (if I did) and show up at the dealership with no modification. I am not sure I would want to be taking a ballast and HID on and off. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
While you are almost certainly right, the problem lies with the fact that Toyota is famous for almost always refusing to do any modifications to the wiring or to connect anything to the wiring that is not a Toyota part because "it would void the warranty!" As you said, that is the party line and most dealer service departments stick to it, regardless of truth, logic, scientific evidence notwithstanding. The main problem is that if they want to deny your coverage because of some minor modification, eventually the only way you can fight them is in court and that means you have to go hire an expert witness to testify that it didn't do anything to cause the failure and they don't have to hire anyone because they have hundreds of engineers on staff, many of whom go to court every day to testify in other product liability cases. It is an almost insurmountable obstacle for a private person. A plaintiffs lawyer might be able to have a couple of experts under contract to counter this, but they don't come cheap and they aren't going to be cost effective in a case for a few hundred dollars of lost warranty coverage. Or even a few thousand dollars.

I tried to get them to give me a switched wire and ground wire to hook up my radar detector on my Prius (I know, delusions of grandeur and a total waste of time and money) and they refused. I did it myself because I knew I could reach in there and pull off those two wires any time I had an electrical problem (if I did) and show up at the dealership with no modification. I am not sure I would want to be taking a ballast and HID on and off. Just my thoughts.
Taking the ballast off and replacing HID with OEM is perhaps 15 minutes if you installed it yourself. If not :p, go back to the original installer. The conversion kits cut no wires and make no modifications and the installation because it is plug-and-play is COMPLETELY REVERSABLE!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The dealer is giving you a response based on ignorance, meaning they are uninformed about what they are talking about and to be safe giving you the Lexus party line answer ...
Perhaps you don't understand, this information is from offical representative office of Toyota Motors in Russia, it's not a dealer "thoughts". I'm totally agree with you, i'm not scary of that fairy-tales about "voiding my warrany", i'm just found it interesting and want to discuss :) Also they sad about strong electro-magnetic fields from HID units... And all we know that all lexus hybrid cars (GS, LS, RX) use LED lights instead of HID, ok this fact could be only some kind of marketing reasons...

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Also they sad about strong electro-magnetic fields from HID units... And all we know that all lexus hybrid cars (GS, LS, RX) use LED lights instead of HID, ok this fact could be only some kind of marketing reasons...
Interesting thing to point out, I wasn't aware of the HID creating a field, but it looks like you're right...question is, is it strong enough and will it do anything? The LED's in hybrids could also be due to the very low energy use on this type of light; making it more appealing for a hybrid.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Some of you are not focusing on the real problem. It isn't whether it will actually cause some problems, but whether Toyota will use it as an excuse to not pay an otherwise legitimate warranty claim and I think the answer to that is "Maybe!" I don't believe that it would actually cause a problem, but I am pretty sure that sometime they may use it as an excuse. Do it at your own risk, after considering the possibilities.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Every electric current creates an electromagnetic field. How can there be strong electromagnetic fields from HID units? Electromagnetic fields are created by windings around a central core; the more windings the greater the strength. If the core contains ferrous material then the field is stronger. Field strength also increases with an increase in current. Again I ask, how can a HID light create a strong electromagnetic filed? --- The answer is, it can't!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just ordered the exact Slim digital ballast in 5000k.. However I seemed to have run into a bit of trouble..
For those who've made the purchase does your bulb come in a plastic tab or metal tabs? Mine came in plastic and I've been having trouble putting them in. Furthermore my ballast and both bulbs came defective as I've tested each part individually with a DDM 35w set.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've just ordered the exact Slim digital ballast in 5000k.. However I seemed to have run into a bit of trouble..
For those who've made the purchase does your bulb come in a plastic tab or metal tabs? Mine came in plastic and I've been having trouble putting them in. Furthermore my ballast and both bulbs came defective as I've tested each part individually with a DDM 35w set.
You'll have to contact Kensun about the defective parts.
And I have read that others needed to grind down some of the plastic to make it fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for replying.. I did contact Kensun, and a replacement is already on its way it was rather quick and easy!
However, they don't have any metal tabs bulb to offer.. so I guess I'll have to shave the plastic and make them fit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Which kits did you guys buy?

I am looking to buy a 4300k kit for the low beams, and a 3000k kit for my fogs.

Are all Kensun kits 35w? Or are some 55w?

·
Registered
23 Posts
For all Canadian CT200 owners: where did you purchase the Kensun kits? I can only find them on Amazon.com and ebay motors and neither will ship to Canada. Did you have it shipped in the US near the border and went to pick it up?

Also, I can't seem to find a Kensun 5000K kit, only 4300K and 6000K (or higher). Where did you (the ones who have the 5000K) get it from?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts