Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my ct I complained about my 35mpg then I got my k&n air filter and was averaging 36mpg.

For the last couple of months I've been averaging 27-29mpg. Even trying premium fuel. Took it into dealership. Had maintenance done. New tires(at only 25k miles) and still averaging 29 mpg. Dealership said everything looked fine and the only change was the air filter and they think that's the problem. Any thoughts suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
842 Posts
I don't see how a possibly more free flowing air filter could reduce mileage. I know that the K&N filter on my muscle car has a delicious moan to it that makes me want to flog it harder. Might that be a problem? Otherwise, I don't understand how it could hurt.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you over oiled your K&N filter then it could be clogged.
I basically get 29mpg, but my commutes are less than 10 minutes at basically less than 1 mile to 80mph for about 9 minutes then I slow down to park. Basically my quick 10min interstate driving gives you the worst mileage at 29mpg. Driving 80mph from Boston to Houston gave me an average of 35 mpg.
One time I did basically city traffic jam driving and got 44 mpg.

If you do short fast trips then you will get the worst mileage at 29 mpg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership said that the computer adjusts to aftermarket items and perhaps that happened. But before I spend more money and go back to factory filter wanted to be sure. I havn't oiled the filter at all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I get 33 on average. It depends on your driving. Short drives with a lot of lights/stops = bad gas efficiency. I can get as high as 45 if I do long drives on the highway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oiled air filters can dirty the MAF sensors, resulting in poorer performance.

I'd check the MAF, clean it off, and run with the stock air filter for a while to see if your mileage goes back up. K&N has a good reputation , but I've personally always preferred dry filters, like those from aFe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I get 33 on average. It depends on your driving. Short drives with a lot of lights/stops = bad gas efficiency. I can get as high as 45 if I do long drives on the highway.
In my experience short fast drives with almost no stops = worst gas efficiency at 29mpg.

I did 30 hours of interstate driving only stopping for gas just about continuously at 79 mph on cruise control and got 35 mpg.
Best mileage I got was with stop/go/slow interstate driving for 50+ miles and that was 44 mpg.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my experience short fast drives with almost no stops = worst gas efficiency at 29mpg.

I did 30 hours of interstate driving only stopping for gas just about continuously at 79 mph on cruise control and got 35 mpg.
Best mileage I got was with stop/go/slow interstate driving for 50+ miles and that was 44 mpg.
Well if you're going 79 then 35 is probably right. If there are hills then it won't be good for mpg either. Stop and go is great of mileage since you're on battery alot. Stopping for lights and then accelerating often is bad for gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The K&N filter shouldn't really affect your mileage and don't believe the dealer's party line that it is your aftermarket K &N that is causing you low mpg. When you replaced your tires, did you replace them with the original low resistance type? Regular tires typically reduce mpg by 2-3 mpg. Tires could be the biggest effect on your driving mileage. You might also check the inflation pressure, sometimes the dealers set it for a comfortable ride at 32 PSI when 40 ish will give you better mileage and still be well within tire pressure specs. Premium fuel will have no effect except to cost you more money. Driving conditions as others have mentioned could affect you mileage. High highway speeds reduce mileage. Short drives without getting engine warmed up reduce mileage. winter blend of gas reduces mileage. how you accelerate and decelerate affect mileage. Pulse and glide give the best mpg; there is lots of advice here

·
Registered
108 Posts
Recently I had another CT for one day and could not duplicate anything near the MPG I get with my own. Stop & go is not the best scenario for hi mpg either. My own ct gets me 53 on extended 65-75 HW long trip. I have never ever dropped below 44 and that was during last winter with lots of short trips in town and heater running.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
One more item, when you near 30K miles there is a recommended throttle body cleaning on the gas engine which seems to help maintain mileage. If not done, the mpg drops.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Recently I had another CT for one day and could not duplicate anything near the MPG I get with my own. Stop & go is not the best scenario for hi mpg either. My own ct gets me 53 on extended 65-75 HW long trip. I have never ever dropped below 44 and that was during last winter with lots of short trips in town and heater running.
53mpg on highway??? At what speeds? 45mph?

I was locked in on cruise at 79mph driving 30 hours straight except for gas with no traffic or slowdowns. The mileage was a rock solid 35 mpg the entire trip on each tank of gas.
Lowest I get is 29 on short less than 10 min/fast trips.

·
Registered
86 Posts

I was locked in on cruise at 79mph driving 30 hours straight except for gas with no traffic or slowdowns. The mileage was a rock solid 35 mpg the entire trip on each tank of gas.
When you go above ~65mph, you'll see a drastic drop in efficiency.

I averaged 49.9mpg on a 360mi round trip by keeping it between 60-65mph. That was last winter, so the gas would have been a winter blend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced with Yokohama yk580. The michelins were bald after 25k I wanted another fuel efficient tire. But the yk580s were said to be the same on the ct and not effect mileage. I havnt noticed less. It's the same. Will try the cleaning on my next maintenance. Thanks all!

·
Registered
108 Posts

Read on before posting as I indicated the speed range. And no it was not 45mpg. At 45mph steady I easily get 59 mpg indicated. It is true. 29 mpg at 79 mph is Toyota Camry territory.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Read on before posting as I indicated the speed range. And no it was not 45mpg. At 45mph steady I easily get 59 mpg indicated. It is true. 29 mpg at 79 mph is Toyota Camry territory.
I think you need to "read on" before posting as now you dont make any sense.

You claim here that you got 53 mpg on a 65-75 mph highway on a long trip. I dont believe this for a second so I asked if you were at 45 mph for the 53 mpg. If you are not going to write clearly then dont tell others to "read on before posting". Whatever "read on" means.

Now you say you get 59mpg at 45mph. That is amazing, but I dont think anyone else gets that, so you need to tell us your secret.

But 29mpg in the CT is what I get on short 80mph 10 minute trips to work with just about no stops or slow downs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it helps the debate I recently returned from a 1300 mile trip around France. Most of the journey was at national motorway speed limits - we were on a tight schedule. That's 81 mph. On tank to tank measuring I achieved 48 mpg (imperial) which equates to 38 mpg (US). The car has done about 4000 miles and it's a 2014 premier running on stock 16's. That's the worst I've had and given that consistently high speed - respectable. On careful daily commuting which is mostly short runs barely getting warm I get 52 ( imperial) 42. (Us) and on mixed 30 minute town and motorway approaching 60 imperial 48 US all these are way short of the manufactures rates published in uk but far better than than colleagues non hybrids

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think you need to "read on" before posting as now you dont make any sense.

You claim here that you got 53 mpg on a 65-75 mph highway on a long trip. I dont believe this for a second so I asked if you were at 45 mph for the 53 mpg. If you are not going to write clearly then dont tell others to "read on before posting". Whatever "read on" means.

Now you say you get 59mpg at 45mph. That is amazing, but I dont think anyone else gets that, so you need to tell us your secret.

But 29mpg in the CT is what I get on short 80mph 10 minute trips to work with just about no stops or slow downs.
+1!

I call BS

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 40 Posts