Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's cool. Most people are scared of the salvage market but if you know what you are doing and what to look for you can get a good reliable car for cheap. The trick is you gotta then be willing to drive it until the value is basically nothing because you'll never be able to sell it to anyone reputable. I had a 2005 Honda Insight that was rebuilt, was a great little car until the battery pack died. I never had a singe issue with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have owned 3 Toyota hybrid cars with rebuilt/salvage titles. Never a problem with any of them. Trick is to fully check them out before purchase. Photos of previous damage, Car Fax history, body shop reputation, drive car and test tracking, brakes, funny noises, how the car looks with walk around....easy stuff before negotiations. Or take to Toyota dealership for a $50 once-over from mechanic.

Get a a hybrid for less than 1/2 price? I've had no regrets for many years.

This C with 9,000 milesI bought for $10k, and the F Sport I got for less than $20k with 3600 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Damn I really like the blue! One other thing to check is how long the car was sitting in between when it was wrecked and when it was restored. The NiMH chemistry has a pretty fast self-discharge and if the car is sitting for 6 months or longer the batteries can actually self-discharge down to the point where it degrades the cells. I think that is what happened to my Insight because the batteries failed with only around 90K miles on it. Of course while those were also NiMH cells, they were a totally different design and brand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hiya leonar

Honda hybrids are totally different from Toyota's Synergy Drive system. Actually I'm a bit surprised the Insight got to 90k. Consumer Reports did its Annual Survey as well as its own investigation and from 2010 through 2013, traction batteries in Honda hybrids had/has a failure rate of 32%!!��

Can you imagine a 32% failure rate on ANY component of a line of cars, even if lets say a radio knob would fall off a particular automobile?

But jeepers! This was the Traction Battery! A $4500 replacement. Most of course was covered by Honda's warranty, but can you imagine the used market outcry in 2017 and beyond when they go out of warranty?

Failure rate on Toyota's system is around 1 to 1-1/2 percent, so I think if a Toyota hybrid sat for 6 months, just a 12v aux battery charge would be needed.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts