Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put ceramic tint on my car and it was pretty expensive so I had very high expectations. At first I didn't notice any big problems but when I got home, I noticed a few things and was just wondering if it is normal/acceptable.

The driver side window does not extend to the edge and there seems to be a bit of dust speck.

The windshield (yes windshield and it cost over $250 for this alone) had a bit of dust specks. There some around the top edge but not as many bunched together at shown here.

The right side rear window back half does not extend all the way to the top. It stops about 1/4 inch before the edge and is readily noticeable if you look at it.

One more thing, it also looks like the cutout for the back and the back sides stop right before the dot matrix. Is this how others tints are done for their CT?

I paid close to $800 for windshield and full wrap so I was expecting pretty near perfect results. It was for ceramic tint though. Just wanted to get opinions before I contact the tinter. This is my first time tinting and I feel like these aren't acceptable for the price I paid. Just wanted to make sure I am not out of line. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Go talk to them. The "dirt spots" are probably going to go away after a couple of days of heat, but the edges are only acceptable if there is no alternative. I didn't get a tint job on my CT, but on my Prius they reached the edges pretty much anywhere that I could see.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm so he is saying that it is normal for the tint not to extend all the way because it's different even from 1 side to the other of the car. Something about the rubber gasket. I'm seeing more and more dust particles stuck in my car. If he isn't going to fix it, I guess I will need to have a talk with my credit card company. As it stands, I am quite unhappy with my tint job. I think it has gotten worse since yesterday as I am more readily able to identify dust particles when I am not even trying to look for them. I saw a few more on my windshield, on the passenger window, and the back seat windows just from turning my head around at a stop light. I'm certain these are dust particles and not air bubbles as I can see the specks. Even though the tint has had time to cure, I don't think curing will resolve dust specks in tint. Am I right on this assumption?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had 2 windows redone on my CT due to dirt contamination. Fortunately the tint was organised by Lexus at time of purchase and they guarantee the work. After the reinstallation they had the tint inspected and passed by the service department before it was returned.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of quiet in here but I took out my dslr and took some pictures. I am pretty sure this is not normal even for a $200 tint job, let alone a $800 one. Below is a link to some of the photos for reference. Pretty sure I am not overreacting here, but this is my first tint job and still want to make sure I am not out of line here.

Tint Defects

Below are a few examples.

·
Registered
990 Posts
There is only so much we can do over the internet. Give it a month and park the car in the sun as much as possible. If there are still issues brining it back to the installer. If you went to a reputable shop then they should have a warranty on their tint and workmanship. No tint job is ever going to be 100% perfect, ever. There will always be some level of dust between the tint and the window. I do have to say though that you got ripped off. $800 for a tint job is insane, even with the windshield it should not have cost you more than $500-600. I paid $350 for my ceramic tint which was all windows excluding the windshield.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think the amount of dust I have captured in the pictures beyond excessive? There is several hundred to maybe even in the thousands of dust particles in the windshield alone. Also, I am in Cali where there has been wildfires daily. It has been sitting in the 90+ sun for the last 2 days and it has only gotten worse. At first I could only see a few and I was okay with it. However, it is becoming ridiculous to the amount of dust specks I am counting on all windows. Even the trunk side windows are starting to show some bubbles with dust in the middle. The fact that I send the picture of the tint not extending to the edge and the bubbles of that same window and he pretty much said it normal, I wouldn't trust him with my car again.

I just want to really ask if anyone truly thinks letting it sit in the sun will help. It has only gotten worse sitting in the sun last 2 days.

·
Registered
990 Posts
BRING IT BACK!! It's really hard to tell what it looks like with pictures. It it the best job I've seen? No. Is this somewhat normal? Yes

If your not happy, bring it back! You'd paid $800 so you might as well.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I would have them do it over. It looks bad for $200 and really terrible for $800

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of line as this is my first tint. It just didn't seem up to par especially for the price charged. I was expecting a near perfect tint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
why would anyone spend $800 on tinted windows?? I have never paid more than $200 and that was on a large SUV. All of that Ceramic nonsense is just a way for people to get more $ from you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if you're actually asking, the specs on ceramic was double the heat rejection at half of the tint %. This is important to me as the main reason I am getting the tint is for my dogs who will be in the trunk and or backseat area if the seats are folded down. The other issue is that The front windows are not allowed to be tinted more than 70%, which is factory. If I go to 20% tint, I will more than likely get pulled over down the road and I rather avoid that. The last reason is that better rated professionals (which wasn't the service I received) charge a slightly higher rate. ~$300 for sides and back and another ~$200 for windshield. Add ceramic and its another $50/window and $100/windshield.

So to sum it up, it is just to get the same heat rejection at less than half of the tint%. That is why I got ceramic. Not sure what every one else's reason is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely sounds like you got ripped off. Not only by the ridiculous price you paid but by work not being quality too. I paid $340 to have the factory tint removed and 17% tint added all around, except for the windshield and I thought that was overly priced. My tints go all the way to the top of the window like they should and there are no dust spots. I did have some air bubbles but they went away after 2 days. Did you review the shops ratings and reviews on-line before going? Also, like another member said, they should warranty their work, especially if you paid that much. Sorry dude. Now go give 'em hell!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in FL where its sunny year round, i also have two dogs (one large and one small) that ride in the back and i have never had an issue with regular tints... I paid $150 for my tints and they are perfect... Does the job and considerably cools the car.. Never been pulled over.

you are entitled to do what you want with your money, I have never heard of an $800 tint job... maybe its more common in your area...

Well if you're actually asking, the specs on ceramic was double the heat rejection at half of the tint %. This is important to me as the main reason I am getting the tint is for my dogs who will be in the trunk and or backseat area if the seats are folded down. The other issue is that The front windows are not allowed to be tinted more than 70%, which is factory. If I go to 20% tint, I will more than likely get pulled over down the road and I rather avoid that. The last reason is that better rated professionals (which wasn't the service I received) charge a slightly higher rate. ~$300 for sides and back and another ~$200 for windshield. Add ceramic and its another $50/window and $100/windshield.

So to sum it up, it is just to get the same heat rejection at less than half of the tint%. That is why I got ceramic. Not sure what every one else's reason is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kind of quiet in here but I took out my dslr and took some pictures. I am pretty sure this is not normal even for a $200 tint job, let alone a $800 one. Below is a link to some of the photos for reference. Pretty sure I am not overreacting here, but this is my first tint job and still want to make sure I am not out of line here.

Tint Defects

Below are a few examples.

I had a similar problem with my ceramic tint when it got done. Just seemed like air bubbles everywhere. To be honest I did not spend as much as you and even I got my front windshield done as well. The best advice I could give you is to not settle for the job that they did. I waited a week or so and fully inspected my windows as well. When that did not solve any problems, I called up my tint guy (luckily he is in the same office complex) and showed him all the spots where I see imperfections, small spots on each window on the edges kind of in the same area of these pictures. In the end he understood and ended up replacing a window. They "smashed" the areas where there were considerable bubbles, I believe this means they loosened the tint and rubbed it out basically. But now it looks way better than it did. So get what you deserve or ask them to remove the tint and refund you cause that tint job to me anyway would be unacceptable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Long story short, took it to another local place and it is done perfectly this time and also the quote for the exact same work is $620. Live and learn I suppose =\. If you're socal then I'll be happy to advise where to not go and where I ended up going.

Edit: Just to add, I would have gone back if it was to redo one or two windows but it was every single window. If they screw up on every window the first time, they're going to screw up the second time too in my opinion.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well if you're actually asking, the specs on ceramic was double the heat rejection at half of the tint %. This is important to me as the main reason I am getting the tint is for my dogs who will be in the trunk and or backseat area if the seats are folded down.
Who told you that? Ceramic tint has slightly better heat rejection but not that much. At 50% tint, ceramic tint may gave you 45% heat rejection vs 40% from normal film. I am in CA too and all my cars are tinted. $600+ you are probably paying for Formula One film? My tint guy uses Solar Guard film and tinting the CT cost about $160. I have never had any peeling or color change and heat rejection is amazing. Or did you got 3M Crystalline? Now those may be worth it.. if I ever got caught tinting my front windows at 35%. But so far I have not and got pulled over by cops a few times with traffic tickets.. I just roll down both front windows before he got to the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What brand of ceramic tint did you get? Did you get the same brand film at both shops?

I've had Pinnacle and Huper Optik ceramic tints, the prices vary greatly between those ($580 vs $800) and they have completely different cure times. I had to let the Huper cure for about 6-8 weeks before all the bubbles disappeared whereas the Pinnacle took 10 days.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Long story short, took it to another local place and it is done perfectly this time and also the quote for the exact same work is $620. Live and learn I suppose =\. If you're socal then I'll be happy to advise where to not go and where I ended up going.

Edit: Just to add, I would have gone back if it was to redo one or two windows but it was every single window. If they screw up on every window the first time, they're going to screw up the second time too in my opinion.
Please tell me you got you money back from the first place!l

1 - 20 of 23 Posts