Lexus CT200h Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thoughts - if it's completely dead but you can still get into the car with the key, then you may need to do gymnastics to ... drop the back seats to get access to the batteries and have the jump leads go out the back passenger doors. Good luck !

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yes, you don't jump start the CT from the back (you technically could but that is not how it is designed). Use the physical key to access the cabin of the car, release the hood, and jump start it from the 12 V connection on the right side of the engine under the fuse box cover. The positive connection goes on the "red" post, and the negative can be any bolt on the frame (there is one nearby that is easy to use). Instructions are in the owner's manual as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A uk site states as follows

11-05-11: DO NOT JUMP START. Hybrids should be trickled charged, not jump started (bulletin from Toyota how to do it correctly). If a recovery agent connects jump leads directly to either hybrid battery and than to his battery the sudden charge can damage circuits with in the hybrid system (not necessarily the ECU). It seems that not all recovery companies are familiar with the correct jump start process . Damage can be caused which will not be apparent at the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
UK site has said

11-05-11: DO NOT JUMP START. Hybrids should be trickled charged, not jump started (bulletin from Toyota how to do it correctly). If a recovery agent connects jump leads directly to either hybrid battery and than to his battery the sudden charge can damage circuits with in the hybrid system (not necessarily the ECU). It seems that not all recovery companies are familiar with the correct jump start process . Damage can be caused which will not be apparent at the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like mentioned previously the terminal to jump start the vehicle is under the hood. Look for the big red cover over the positive terminal and then just hook the negative to a ground location.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The positive terminal used to jump the vehicle is under the hood, I believe it has a big red cover or cap on it with the "+" symbol, then use any ground or unpainted metal for a grounding location.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The best way of jump starting the CT is using terminals under the hood like kcpartsguy says but give the other battery some time to transfer some amperage to the back battery that is at the back then start the vehicle. If u just jumped it then start it right away it usually won't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My CT200H battery is completely drained. I wanted to jump start the vehicle as indicated in the owner's manual. The problem is I cannot open the hatchback in order to access the 12V battery. Any suggestions?
I had my battery die over the weekend due to the map lights staying on for some reason. The car was in my parking garage so I figured I would pull the 12v battery and bring it to my apartment and put it on a 12v 2amp supply overnight. However, I ran into the same problem you had here. I couldn't open the rear hatch. After I went through the rear doors and pulled up the cover to the spare tire I was able to release the rear hatch manually and open it. You just push up on the mechanism with your finger and push the door out. It's right in the center of the rear.

I was able to charge the battery overnight and re-install it in the morning. She started right up!

charging_it.jpg

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's great, but keep in mind that you have likely shortened the life of the OEM battery significantly. They are not designed to be discharged below a certain voltage without damage. I would recommend getting one of those jump start boxes and keeping it in the car. You can get the smallest model because you aren't actually starting the engine with it, you are just providing power to the car's computer, the hybrid battery actually starts the engine. This way you don't get stranded in a year or two down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my battery die over the weekend due to the map lights staying on for some reason. The car was in my parking garage so I figured I would pull the 12v battery and bring it to my apartment and put it on a 12v 2amp supply overnight. However, I ran into the same problem you had here. I couldn't open the rear hatch. After I went through the rear doors and pulled up the cover to the spare tire I was able to release the rear hatch manually and open it. You just push up on the mechanism with your finger and push the door out. It's right in the center of the rear.

I was able to charge the battery overnight and re-install it in the morning. She started right up!

View attachment 51185
Hi, pardon my bad english.

My battery is dead, car is in the garage, front in first of cours. I can´t find a way to release the rear hatch manually.

Can somebody here give me some advice please?

Regards
T

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200h Premium Navi
65 Posts
Positive terminal is in the engine compartment fuse box and you can use the upper strut mount stud & but as the ground connection.

I’ve also used the EGR stud & nut but most recently I had the cylinder head off and all the grounds to the motor removed. Had to use an alternative ground.

will leave a picture some time in future.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts