Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jolt and "clunk" sound when shift from P to D/N/R after 5+ hour park cold start

I have a 2012 CT. My fist Hybrid and I love everything about this car except one thing.
From time to time, especially when car has been parked for more than 5 hours, when I shift gear from P to D/N/R, my car sometime jolt a bit and you can here a "clunk" sound coming from under the hood.
It feel like CT slip/miss a gear notch or what.
Once car is moving and warm up, it won't happen again even I turn the car off and start driving again.
Although it does not happen all the time, I am worry it will cause any damage if I just leave it ignored.
Any advise would be deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2012 CT. My fist Hybrid and I love everything about this car except one thing.
From time to time, especially when car has been parked for more than 5 hours, when I shift gear from P to D/N/R, my car sometime jolt a bit and you can here a "clunk" sound coming from under the hood.
It feel like CT slip/miss a gear notch or what.
Once car is moving and warm up, it won't happen again even I turn the car off and start driving again.
Although it does not happen all the time, I am worry it will cause any damage if I just leave it ignored.
Any advise would be deeply appreciated.
parking break applied. Parked level.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm not sure then.
Neither my old Prius or the CT has ever done that.
I have seen people have similar things happen when parked without the parking brake. Which is why I asked.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's probably the old "cold start" thing many of us experience, even though it's not always because of cold weather.

Many owners of Prius and CT models report this. I myself have experienced it both on my 2012 Prius C and my 2014 CT. In my Prius C, it was so bad the first time I experienced it, that I thought the engine had something broken and was rattling around the engine bay that I stopped the car and checked under the hood. Turns out this is "normal" for these engines.

I have heard that Toyota issued a TSB for this by replacing something that had to do with the intake? I can't recall.

I feel as if this has to do with cold engine mounts, not allowing the engine to have its vibrations diminished by the mounts. You will get this every so often, mostly cold weather, but not limited to it. Once the engine has been running for a few seconds, it usually calms down and idles normally.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I thought he might be referring to a coincidental start of the engine when shifting gears, since attempting to drive the car right after starting it will get the engine going immediately.

I personally don't recall any such jolt coming from the transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually think it's the transmission. If any of you have drove a manual shift before, it's like forcing itself out of the park gear because it's locked too tight in the parked stage.
I hope this describes my concern more clear this way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I experience this sometimes as well. Actually both things mentioned in this thread. I back up my drive everyday and apply the parking brake then put the car in park. Sometimes the next day when i put it into drive it pops like its popping out of park. My MINI Countryman did it as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts