Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it finally happened! I got my first door ding! :eek:

My condo parking spaces are assigned (actually specified in the title deed!) and one of the cars that I park next to is a large (late '90's or early '00's) Mercedes station wagon that belongs to a 30 something Asian single mother (as far as I can tell) who has 3 kids somewhere in the 5 to 8 years old range. She has done nothing to control them on the few occasions that she and I have been out in the structure at the same time, but I didn't want to make trouble and kept my mouth shut! I knew that some day I would regret this decision! :mad:

Well. last Sunday I found a 1" long, slightly curved, near vertical medium dent just below the horizontal ridge along the top of the rear drivers side door, pretty much in the middle. The ding matches the bottom "corner" of her rear door and is at the same height, so there is NO question that her door did the deed! I also check for dings EVERY time I go out to the car since her kids chipped the paint on the edge of my front wheel well on Memorial day weekend! :(

My question is this, has anyone done paintless dent removal on either of the rear doors yet? If so, how invasive (how much dis-assembly) is involved? Could they get it out? :confused:

The paint is amazing, however, I see NO signs of scuffing or abrasion! It doesn't seem possible considering how pronounced the ding is!! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used dentpro previously on my IS250 and the 1 inch dent below the driver's side mirror was 99% gone. They have special tools to repair the dent and they may or may not take off the panel depending on the location of the dent. The cost was $150 and worth the cost since a body shop will charge you between $2-3K since they will need to paint your door and the front side fender to make sure the paint will match your original paint color.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Paintless dent removal is fantastic. I've had it done to remove door-dings quite often even though I'm very careful where I park. It's magic what they can do to fix dings. You're so right... "It's only a matter of time." :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a nice dimple just below and behind the gas filler door :(. I was so upset also and I know it was the car I park beside (make that used to park beside) in my company lot. It took everything I had to not hawk a huge loogie on her windshield every time I walked by her car for about a week. Then I thought well maybe it was truly an accident and that seemed to help calm my rage somewhat ;)
I am going to have to look at a Dr. Dent type of place too.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
You should pick one of these up for the times when you are parked next to the landboat...
DoorShield
These look pretty awesome! However, I haven't seen a single picture of these used on four door vehicles...all the vehicles on their site are coupes!

·
Registered
20 Posts
no brainer!

I've had it done so many times and every time I have had my dents repaired you can't even tell where it was! I don't live that far from Manheim Auto Auction in Lancaster, PA ......so the price per dent has always been about 45 bucks. Cheap and a great job. Just make certain you go to one that has been in business for a while. Ask for referrals. Most of the better ones do a ton of business at dealer lots, in fact, they may provide the dent repair where you purchased the car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Scott,

With 3 kids that age and tight parking space, it'll probably happen again unless you talk to the parent or use a protective device. I would reason with her and nicely ask her to be cognizent how her kids swing open the door. If that doesn't work, a knife to all 4 tires should do the trick.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
SOS dent in Santa Monica is great
They are on Colorado and David is the owner
Let him know Bill Baker sent you and you'll be pleased
He got one out of a tough space on the fender for me two weeks or so ago
Thanks to all of you that responded to my query, especially Bill! My office is less than a mile from SOS Dent, so I called them and went right over this afternoon. Half an hour later, the dent was gone! :D (the dent was a bit tricky to remove due to the unusually robust reinforcement and support braces along the (interior) top of the door! :rolleyes:)

In my initial post, I did leave out that I have had several dents removed from my Boxster over the years and have been impressed with the results every time! I usually ask a dealership or body shop to put me in touch with whomever they use (vetting, as some of you had as suggested), so my questions this time had more to do with working on the CT specifically!

Due to the tricky nature of the dent's placement, the tech went in from both the top (through the window slit) and from the front side (by pushing the wire harness boot into the door)! When he finished, there was absolutely no hint that the door had been dented! :)

I will be using his services again in the future, if necessary, but I really hope that I don't have to! (pipe dream!! :()

Oh, Bill!? The tech mentioned that he had worked on another CT a couple of weeks ago. I'm assuming that was you! Thanks again for the referral. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Scott,

With 3 kids that age and tight parking space, it'll probably happen again unless you talk to the parent or use a protective device. I would reason with her and nicely ask her to be cognizent how her kids swing open the door.
Absolutely. Need to make her aware of it and hopefully she'll feel guilty. I tell my kids all the time when getting out of the car next to someone else to watch their door or help them with it. Pisses me off when people are oblivious to things like this and don't care about others property.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
You should pick one of these up for the times when you are parked next to the landboat...
DoorShield
HA! Interesting, I have never seen this before. So is this or isn't this thing paintable? I checked the site and it doesn't say, yet they show pics of them painted.

If they're not paintable, I highly disagree with this statement on their website: "DoorShield becomes an attractive and stylish restraint" :eek:

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
What annoys me is you technically need to get 4 for complete protection for the CT. All the cars sporting it on the website are coupes.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
What annoys me is you technically need to get 4 for complete protection for the CT. All the cars sporting it on the website are coupes.
Damn you for buying a 4-door! :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scott,

With 3 kids that age and tight parking space, it'll probably happen again unless you talk to the parent or use a protective device. I would reason with her and nicely ask her to be cognizent how her kids swing open the door. If that doesn't work, a knife to all 4 tires should do the trick.
I did leave a note on her windshield the next day. I waited several hours before I wrote it, because if I hadn't she probably would have called the cops, afraid for her life! (I was a little pissed!) The "calmer" note I left her simply stated that I knew that her rear passenger door had dented mine, that I was going to get an estimate for the repair and that I had already kept my mouth shut about the damage done on Memorial Day weekend!

That one wasn't her, technically, but her kid's friends mother's car when they left after a "play date" that Sunday. I saw them arrive when I was leaving to get the CT washed (another car full of excited kids! :eek:) The other car was still here when I got back. I discovered a paint chip on the front edge of the driver's front wheel well the next day. It is, however, an easy touch up with no dent. (If they EVER make my touch up paint available! :cool:) So, I let it go, but I did start checking for dings EVERY time I went out to the car after that.

I finished off my note with "I was willing to let that go, but NOT THIS!" and included my name and phone number. A little much, maybe? She hasn't contacted me, but the next morning she had parked in the "rear" of her spot (next to my Boxster, but it's lower to the ground and covered, so it's a bit safer. :rolleyes:) In fact, she hasn't parked next to the CT since, as far as I can tell.

I was talking to our night security guard about this a few days ago and he told me that she was afraid of what I might do and had written a letter to our on-site manager about the incident (I guess she had mentioned it to the security guard, as well). I haven't heard anything from the on-site manager either, so I guess the next move (if any) is mine. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to leave a copy of the receipt with a note asking her to "cover it" on her windshield. It was only $125 to repair the ding and I really just want to be done with this! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.