Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bad news , shakes are back. Now I’m thinking bad head gasket . Maybe due to me driving it on only 2 coils .. maybe. It’s has 129k miles on it so maybe it’s just time for new gasket anyway. Will post after I get work done what the outcome is...
From what I understand, these engines typically need new head gaskets after 120k or so. Apparently, because this is a hybrid, the engine turns on and off more frequently than a typical engine and this causes more heating and cooling of the engine block and head, which stresses the gaskets. I had the same symptom, got the head gasket replaced (a mobile service here in the SF Bay Area) and have had no problems since. (Look up GasketMasters on YouTube and there are a few videos showing how you can do it yourself - search for Prius, since that's the same engine. They also have videos explaining why this tends to happen.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I have owned my 2012 CT200H for 4 years and have personally drive the past ~90k miles on it. I am at 133k and experiencing the violent shutter that appears to be common among 3rd gen Prius and our Ct200h. This occurred twice in 2018 and the dealer conducted a one time good faith repair under TSB L-SB-0004-13, replacing the Intake Manifold. All was good since they conducted this repair. Fast forward to now, I am having this issue at 60-100 degree days almost every time I start the car. Weirdly enough, it won't shudder if I leave the car running and the engine shuts off when the hybrid system takes over. However, if I turn the car off for 1-2 minutes, it will shutter upon starting back up. In the past couple days, I have started to get misfire codes on Cylinders 2 & 4. Once I rev the engine a bit, everything smooths out. I do not believe I have any contaminated oil or am losing coolant.

So far I have cleaned the Throttle body & EGR pipe.

Can anyone solve this mystery for me?
Egr cooler should be removed and cleaned

21 - 22 of 22 Posts