Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm think about buying the ct200h but when I took it for a test drive yesterday, I could really hear the engine roar when accelerating, especially going uphill.

Is this something you get used to or does it bother you guys?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is the CVT moving the engine into the into the proper prower band for the load. You get use to it after a while. I am at 6,200 kms and really don't notice it anymore.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Don't notice it to be honest. I usually have music playing and most of my driving is on commute to work so its stop and go traffic so not really flooring it a whole lot

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Actually, the only reason it is noticable at all....

Is because otherwise the CT200h is a really QUIET car :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love the sound of my CT200h when I'm accelerating. My previous car IS250 was too quiet when I was driving it.I had a BMW Z3 with a 4 cylinder engine and loved the sound when shifting thru the gears. Lexus built cars that are reliable and quiet. Lexus is now building cars that are sporty ( CT200h and LFA) as well as reliable.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I love the sound of my CT200h when I'm accelerating. My previous car IS250 was too quiet when I was driving it.I had a BMW Z3 with a 4 cylinder engine and loved the sound when shifting thru the gears. Lexus built cars that are reliable and quiet. Lexus is now building cars that are sporty ( CT200h and LFA) as well as reliable.
LOL I have a 2006 S2000 with Invidia exhaust. The sound accelerating to 8,000 RPM redline with the top down is awesome ( vanity play on my M3 was Awesom3) However, it is also too loud to enjoy and audio: radio, cell phone.

Soon will have CT200h and S2000 :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think that for round town driving and motorway cruising up to about 70 mph the CT200 is quieter, on average, than my 2003 GS300.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
It is the CVT moving the engine into the into the proper prower band for the load. You get use to it after a while. I am at 6,200 kms and really don't notice it anymore.
I'm not used to it at all. It sounds like the car is being overworked, even though you're not even flooring it. Hopefully I'll get used to it over time. Actually, at times, it makes me hold back from pushing the accelerator down even more, as it sounds bad for the car to me (though it probably isn't).

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Interesting about the noise

I guess I did notice the noise during a test drive. What is interesting, my wife has a Prius with same power system and I have never noticed the noise on it,even when accelerating ? Maybe the 650 volt boost on the CT ?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I guess I did notice the noise during a test drive. What is interesting, my wife has a Prius with same power system and I have never noticed the noise on it,even when accelerating ? Maybe the 650 volt boost on the CT ?
Don't think that's it, it's only under load when the car is in the Power band. Pretty sure the 650V is only used in Sport mode and when electric motor is running?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I thought when you floored it and was on WOT, regardless of what mode you're in, it activates the 650V boost and electric motors?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't think that's it, it's only under load when the car is in the Power band. Pretty sure the 650V is only used in Sport mode and when electric motor is running?
Can you explain the power band?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I thought when you floored it and was on WOT, regardless of what mode you're in, it activates the 650V boost and electric motors?

Matt you are correct. It doesn't matter what mode you are in. Floor it and the 650V comes on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lexus is now building cars that are sporty ( CT200h and LFA) as well as reliable.
hilarious that you put the CT and LFA in the same category. I would have said maybe the IS-F and LFA as Lexus's "sportier" models :p I agree that the CT has a sportier look... but feel? at 134 hp, I wouldn't say sporty, I would just say noisy and slow (expected.. but slow).

joking aside, I'd have to agree - noise doesn't bother me, in fact I'd almost prefer it... as long as I'm hearing all normal sounds that is lol

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Did not know that (nor have I floored my car yet), have you?

Did it a bunch in my last car because it had the power & exhaust to actually do something...flooring the CT just isn't as appealing to me for some reason!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Back to my original comment though, he thought maybe the sound was coming from the 650V power coming on, but don't think that's it at all, do you? Thought it's just the pingy CVT engine noise doing its thing?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had mine for almost 5 months now, and I swear that the engine sounds "smoother" now when it's being pushed. Like it just took some time to break in. I only have a little over 2500 miles, however, so I expect that those who drive more should have experienced this before I did! I also believe that Lexus payed some attention to just how much power was needed to get the job done. Here in LA, merging onto the freeways is often an adventure. I have to "floor it" sometimes and I feel that I have just enough power to successfully accomplish the task, and nothing more! :)

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Very true. Sometimes, we do have to floor it as it is necessary to get onto the freeways safely, especially with an SUV up my ***.

I loaded the car with 3 adults on my test drive and insisted that we test drive it on the freeway. I had to floor it to get it going. I'm not too worried about flooring it because it will always be smooth because of the CVT. Once the car is in WOT, all the power kicks in.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Can you explain the power band?
All gas engines have a "power band" which is based on the torque of the engine. It typically looks like a Bell curve. Whenever you see a torque rating of an engine is usually has an associate RPM (revolutions per minute) or engine speed. When an engine is running at maximum efficiency it is at the peak of the power curve. If you floor a ECVT engine then it moves the engine speed to the maximum torque and changes the final drive ratio through the CVT. However, the maximum torque does not give the maximum gas efficiency. The "power band" is an RPM range on either side of the peak torque in which the engine provides effective power to move the car forward ( or reverse if you are going that direction :D ). A typical power band range might be 2,000 to 5,000 RPM.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My experience with my partner's CT is limited, but I have found that if you accelerate firmly for a short period, then back off a tiny bit, the engine noise seems better managed. Not that it worries me at all, I find the CT very quiet almost all the time. Other contributors have already noted that the CVT (constant velocity transmission) is designed to rev in the engine's power band, to give you the best performance with a minimum amount of fuel. Certainly don't worry about over-revving the engine - it can't.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts