Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2015 Prius is getting a 10% boost in MPG. Since the CT200h is basically the same engine/drive train will the 2015 Lexus CT200h also be getting a 10% Boost ? old MPG = 43 City / 40 Highway NEW MPG====> 47 City / 44 Highway

·
Registered
990 Posts
The new 2015 Prius is getting a 10% boost in MPG. Since the CT200h is basically the same engine/drive train will the 2015 Lexus CT200h also be getting a 10% Boost ? old MPG = 43 City / 40 Highway NEW MPG====> 47 City / 44 Highway
No it's been reported all over that it's same engine, same mpg rating. It's not a 2nd gen CT, it's just a face lift. Expect a 2nd gen sometime in 2017-2018, Lexus typically keeps their models for 6-7 years which is why they get such good resale value.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe so, we'll see. When other hybrids keep improving and getting better and better mileage, staying Status Quo will soon be the Death Knell

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is the same engine, but not the same program. Below 45 mph, the CT and Prius are the same in mileage. Above 45 mph, the CT will not allow the engine to turn off, and run on battery power, while the Prius does allow this. This is a significant reason that the CT200h does not come close to the Prius in mileage ratings.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is the same engine, but not the same program. Below 45 mph, the CT and Prius are the same in mileage. Above 45 mph, the CT will not allow the engine to turn off, and run on battery power, while the Prius does allow this. This is a significant reason that the CT200h does not come close to the Prius in mileage ratings.
Thanks, I've been wondering what the specific differences are that allow the Prius to get better mpg than the CT, seeing as the weight is not much different, and while the Prius has a lower Cd, the CT has a smaller frontal area. You'd think that in city driving the mpg would be close since the Cd is less important, while on the highway, the Cd would be more important, but the smaller frontal area would offset the lower Cd.

Also, it seemed like setting the cross-over point at 45mph is poor, since I often find myself on country roads where 50mph is pretty much the normal speed. Slowing to 45mph to get it to drop into electric mode is too much trouble.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The main difference is the CD of coefficient of drag. The CT200h is 0. 29 and the Prius is 0.25 The weight is about the same, the Ct200h, 3130 lbs and the Prius 3042 lbs. There is no difference in the engine or drive train between the two. BenC is incorrect about the CT200h not allowing the engine to turn off and the Prius allowing the engine to turn off above 45 mph. I am not sure where that information came from.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The main difference is the CD of coefficient of drag. The CT200h is 0. 29 and the Prius is 0.25 The weight is about the same, the Ct200h, 3130 lbs and the Prius 3042 lbs. There is no difference in the engine or drive train between the two. BenC is incorrect about the CT200h not allowing the engine to turn off and the Prius allowing the engine to turn off above 45 mph. I am not sure where that information came from.
Thanks for the correction, now I'm a little disappointed that BenC was wrong.

I understand that the Cd for the CT is less than the Prius, but I figured it might be offset by the smaller frontal area. There are 2 factors in calculating drag and frontal area is the other factor. Shame they couldn't get the highway mileage in the same ballpark as the Prius.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts