Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i was younger, my dad always say, switch off the aircon when you switch off the ignition. if not, the car battery will suffer during the next start up.

how about our lexus? i usually dont switch it off as i noticed that the aircon is not switched on immediately after pushing the on-off button. so i think it will ok.

anyone with good advise?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
93 Posts
And the A/C compressors in these cars (probably all hybrids) are driven by an electric motor, not the engine. I always did shut off the A/C on all my previous cars. It was just a habbit from the old days. Now with my CT200h I don't bother, not even the headlights because they have an auto on/off. All I do is start the car. I always used to shut the stereo off too when I shut off the engine. I seemed to have lost that habbit with this car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is no 'conventional' starter; the hybrid electic motor/generator actually "bump" starts the motor (with the big battery). Even if the A/C was belt driven, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard a task to start with the compressor engaged. Govn'tmule is correct, along with the electric P/S.

232 Posts
jennyPenny: Your Dad got wisdom, and he is correct. In his days, the cars had generators, and it wasn't till the advent of alternators, the headlights would dim whenever your were idling. Even with alternators, I remember when I installed halogen Hella fog lights, the sealed beam headlights of my '76 Corona would dim, whenever my idling dropped below 550 rpm. So I had to tweak the idling screw on the carburetor to increase the rpm. In those days, so as to avoid drain battery during next start up, it was practice to shut off A/C before the engine shut down. All engine peripherals were then belt driven; but now with Start/Stop technology in non-hybrid vehicles this is rapidly changing.

One reason why I shut off the A/C compressor and let the blower fan run for five minutes or so, before my destination was to eliminate mildew smell that plagues all BMW's. But this was not an issue in any of my previous RX's, so I never had to shut off in my older Lexus, which you had to scroll into NAV/Climate pages to cut off the A/C. There was no dedicated button on the dashboard to shut off the A/C in the earlier Lexus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts