Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2016 CT with 33k miles on it. The front tires are original OEM Michelin tires that are mostly worn with 4/32" left. The rear tires are new Ironman iMove Gen2 AS tires, which cost $65 each. OEM tire is $153 per tire. I feel I am not getting good MPG. Should I just replace all of the tires with OEM? I don't want the mixing of tires to increase chance of oversteer and understeer on wet roads.

On a related note, when I brake lightly, I can hear a little noise like metal scratching on initial contact. When I brake more, I don't hear that noise. I was told my front brake has 50% left. Is this brake noise due to the hybrid system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
No Michelin!!!

My recommendation for tires is always NEVER go cheap on tires. And don't have to go crazy on tires either. CT is a hybrid, and your gas saving depends on both your tires and driving habits.
If you live in the area that snows and icy in the winter...DO NOT go with Michelin!!! It's horrible with pot holes and it's terrifying on snow/ice.

See my tire review here and check reviews on TireRack. It's either Conti or Bridgestone.

Good luck.

·
380 Posts
You should never cheap out on things that go between you and the ground. Tires, beds, shoes, etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Michelin's are a waste of money. But also dont ever buy china tires and always verify where the tires you want are made before purchasing.
My CT stock rims are 215/45R17.
These are more cost effective tire brands, but same quality of tire:
Kumho (make sure it is from the south korea plants)
Barum (Czech Republic so made in the EU)

These tires last longer than the stock michelins and have no noticeable difference for control in the rain.
You can get a full set for around $400, installed.

The first two letters after DOT on the side of the tire are the plant code. You can look them up here.
Tire DOT Plant Codes – Sorted by Plant Code - Tire Safety Group

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recommend the Michelin Premier A/S. Although they start with less tread depth @ 8.5/32”, I’m still able to achieve 82k+ miles of use with minimal wet performance loss. I’m currently at 3.5/32” tread depth after the 82k miles and 3.25 years of use. Fuel economy remains 40-41MPG (avg) in the winter, and 43-45 in the summer (east coast vs. +5% for flatter, less traffic density in Midwest). The cost per mile is exceptionally low and the performance is exceptional. It’s not as good as the MPSS in the dry or the wet, but it’s a versatile 3.5 season tyre (up to 1-2” snow) and you don’t have the handicaps of fasted tyre wear, -10% fuel economy, and slightly higher cost (+$10/tyre).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Personally I haven't had any issues with the OEM tires, but that doesn't mean there aren't better options out there. Keep in mind that if you don't get a Low Rolling Resistance tire then you will lose a little mpg, up to 10%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all - I’m looking for a set of different tires. I’ve had the Michelin Primacy MXM4 for the last 2 sets which were pretty good except for short life even while balancing every 6,000 miles; replacing them at 40,000 miles. I average 43MPG and Fuel efficiency + Dry traction are key for me so I’m checking out these eco tires OEM size: Anyone have feedback for these? Thx!

CONTINENTAL extreme Contact DWS 06

HANKOOK OPTIMO H426

SUMITO MOHTR Enhance WX2

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recommend the Michelin Premier A/S. Although they start with less tread depth @ 8.5/32”, I’m still able to achieve 82k+ miles of use with minimal wet performance loss. I’m currently at 3.5/32” tread depth after the 82k miles and 3.25 years of use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts