Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've been desperate to find a car that isn't trash but this car market isn't helping. I wanted a prius due to fuel efficiency and reliability, my big two concerns, but they are so expensive. I did find a 2013 CT 200h for 9k though, with a brand new hybrid battery, but with 180k miles. Should I pull the trigger or is this a bad deal?

Also, would this be a good car to take road trips in with that mileage? I plan on going all around the US.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
389 Posts
Well, that is a lot of miles, and you'll be putting a lot more on. But if the hybrid battery is replaced by a dealer already (and you can confirm that), well that's like half the asking price of the car! If the car hasn't had headgasket issues yet, either it won't, or it will soon. Check the engine start up from cold. Otherwise, it's a normal car. Make sure it all works, see if it's rusted, etc. Otherwise, if everything checks out and the maintenance is up to date, no issues with 180k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do not think the ct200 is a road tripping car at 180k it would be a good daily but honestly you wont know everything wrong with the car until you drive it for a week. Outside of what @TobiasSing said, issues to look for/ask about are oil consumption, AC, and the egr valve. These cars like the Prius have oil consumption issues when they have high mileage, and compression testing them might not show the issue. The ac compressor as well go out not sure what time of year you are going on this trip but possibly not having ac anywhere in the US for me is a big issue. The egr valve can get clogged at 180k. If you can get it for 5 or 6k it'd be a good deal but 9k is high I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not think the ct200 is a road tripping car at 180k it would be a good daily but honestly you wont know everything wrong with the car until you drive it for a week. Outside of what @TobiasSing said, issues to look for/ask about are oil consumption, AC, and the egr valve. These cars like the Prius have oil consumption issues when they have high mileage, and compression testing them might not show the issue. The ac compressor as well go out not sure what time of year you are going on this trip but possibly not having ac anywhere in the US for me is a big issue. The egr valve can get clogged at 180k. If you can get it for 5 or 6k it'd be a good deal but 9k is high I think.
I saw another for 15k that had 90k miles. But it was a 2013 so I'm worried about having to replace the battery. Does that sound like a legit concern or am I overthinking?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw another for 15k that had 90k miles. But it was a 2013 so I'm worried about having to replace the battery. Does that sound like a legit concern or am I overthinking?
15k for 90k miles that is a steal, ask them if the head gasket has been replaced if so you are set. The hg and battery are things to be concerned about after 90k but the battery normally doesn't have to be replaced until around +150k at least from what I have heard. Some times cells need to be replaced but before buying the car I would have the battery health and engine checked by Toyota or Lexus. For me it was 300 for the both of them and they will tell you everything that is wrong with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't buy that I will lol what is the link for it?
Is it the red one on FB?
No it's not red haha. Although I got the price wrong, they won't sell it for anything less than 15,750 also. Another thing though is that there the Lexusowners website doesn't show any service work done after this even though it's at 90k miles.
The guy said he worked at a small auto repair place so nothing would show up on the carfax but I was wondering if it still looked strange.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy. I just bought a 2013 with $139,000 MI $15,000. 2 days after I got it the check engine light came on. I was experiencing hard knocking and shuddering upon cold start. A week after I had it, it made a noise and five different warning lights came on. I took it to Toyota and they said the hybrid battery was bad. Also the brakes were bad. I took it back to the AutoNation where I bought it, they " fixed" it but provided no paperwork. They had it for 2 weeks in repair, the day after I got it back the check engine light came on again. I have had it back for about a week, it was running great yesterday, but today I put it in park and it made that weird noise again and now the five lights are on again. And it says check hybrid system. I will take it back up to AutoNation today. I really wish they would just give me my money back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought 2012 F sport on eBay for $9001 bid. It had a 119000 miles on it and at a 132000 miles that needed a head gasket and water pump replacement. Changed that for $800 from a buddy mechanic. Runs like a champ.🍻🍻🍻

·
Registered
27 Posts
No it's not red haha. Although I got the price wrong, they won't sell it for anything less than 15,750 also. Another thing though is that there the Lexusowners website doesn't show any service work done after this even though it's at 90k miles.
The guy said he worked at a small auto repair place so nothing would show up on the carfax but I was wondering if it still looked strange.

View attachment 61719
IDK its sounds sketchy when they don't report the work done but like I said get it checked by Toyota or Lexus what area are you out of it sounds like someone here is selling theirs

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy. I just bought a 2013 with $139,000 MI $15,000. 2 days after I got it the check engine light came on. I was experiencing hard knocking and shuddering upon cold start. A week after I had it, it made a noise and five different warning lights came on. I took it to Toyota and they said the hybrid battery was bad. Also the brakes were bad. I took it back to the AutoNation where I bought it, they " fixed" it but provided no paperwork. They had it for 2 weeks in repair, the day after I got it back the check engine light came on again. I have had it back for about a week, it was running great yesterday, but today I put it in park and it made that weird noise again and now the five lights are on again. And it says check hybrid system. I will take it back up to AutoNation today. I really wish they would just give me my money back.
That sounds terrible. It's very likely they knew of some of these problems before selling the car. I thought they have 5 day money back warranty. Did you contact Autonation after the light came on at day two? I'd say if they took it back to "fix" it's acknowledgement that the car had problems. I would work very hard to get them to refund your money. If it were me I'd make a sign explaining a few problems and sit in front of their business with that sign and car until I got my money back. I'd never buy a used car from a dealer though. GL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts