Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 sport and am at the 15k mark. Can you guys give me your opinions on the 5k service in between oil changes? It seems that all they do is a visual inspection and top off fluids. My driving is pretty routine with nothing I think puts too much strain on the car. Below is a quick summary of my driving routine:

-50 mile round trip work commute to and from Los Angeles
-mostly freeway driving, though some gridlock to and from work
-keep the car in my garage
-regular 87 octane gas, costco or chevron

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have the 2012 and do all the maintenance myself and have 47k on the odometer. Not much work is needed, here is all I do: oil change and tire rotation every 7-8k, change engine and cabin filter every 15-20k, had Lexus change the brake fluid at 30k, ran out of time but would like to do it next time, hear its a little more complex since it is regenerative brakes. About to change out the 12V battery since it is 5 years old. Will be looking to DIY the transmission fluid at 50k. Just check under hood to maintain all the fluid level and tire pressure. That's about all you need to do. Won't need to do coolant and spark plug swap out until past 100k. Check the CT maintenance schedule and you should be good. I find that those bundled service are a big profit center for the shops and not necessary.

I also have a 24 year 1993 Volvo with 240k on the odo so I'm no mechanic but just follow the simple maintenance schedules to keep it running reliably.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks KKM!!! had a 1999 camry before this with 370k, and i did just regular oil changes and such.....ran great till some jerk on the freeway put her to rest....wasn't sure if there was anything extra i needed to do with the CT

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree. Not worth doing to the dealer for the in-between oil changes service, which is just an inspection and tire rotations.

I'd get my tires rotated at Discount Tire or something, where it's free if you buy tires there, or maybe all the time, I can't recall.

The inspection might be worth doing once a year just for safety, but it's $100 at my dealer. My local mechanic charges $50. Do this at the interval you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this is not the usual thing to hear, but I'm highly experienced with engines and plan on making my CT last for many, many years, so I take exquisite care of it (especially the engine...which I expect to go well over 300,000 miles and probably go over 500,000 miles.)

The thing that's not usual to hear is: If you don't drive too hard, you can change your oil once every 20,000 miles, provided you use the right oil and filter.

How do I know this? Because I was pretty certain that I could absolutely safely do just this, so I checked my theory by sending my oil off to Blackstone labs to analyze after a 20,000 mile oil change:

Results: Oil looked better than what they'd expect at a 10,000 mile oil change.

I maintain aircraft engines (a bit more critical) and we routinely send oil analyses off to Blackstone for these engines to detect wearing parts before they cause a problem.
Trust me, the dealership will rip you off for a lot of money for being uninformed. Do all the usual things that KKM (user above) wrote, but just change your oil every 20k miles IF:

1) Warm your engine up before you're accelerating hard (I drive very easily first mile or so and usually let the engine run a minute or two before driving...this is the most important thing you can do to keep your engine wear low)

2) Use Mobil-1 annual protection 0W-20 oil (there is likely some Amsoil or Royal Purple that will work also, but this is at WalMart and a pretty good deal comparatively). It has added bases in it that allow for the oil to last a lot longer without breaking down.

3) Use a Purolator ONE filter (don't use Purolator BOSS...long story, but Purolator ONE is better)

It makes a huge difference to me to only change it once every 20,000 miles. Saves a lot of money over the long run, as well as time, is better oil than you get at the dealership (and the filter is arguably better...though the Toyota brand is very good...and costs less than Toyota brand).

You can take the oil and filter to a place to change it for you, if you don't do this kind of thing. Just make sure they put in what you give them!! (some places have been known to steal your oil and put in their cheap crud!)

Enjoy this car that can last for many, many years with MINIMAL maintenance!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts