Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed the LOUD road noise (you can hear the tires rolling on the pavement and sounds like a continuous roar)? It happens on some roads at speeds of 35+ and especially on the freeway when driving without traffic. Lexus was great and had a representative ride with me and then we compared another CT to mine - the noise was the same. Any suggestions or solutions?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Some road surfaces do produce louder sounds and would be present in all cars not just the CT200.

What are you trying to compare to?This car is as quiet as my Cadillac

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
You know, perhaps it's because the car is so quiet that the road noise is more pronounced. Normally, you wouldn't be able to hear the road over the roar of the engine. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the LOUD road noise (you can hear the tires rolling on the pavement and sounds like a continuous roar)? It happens on some roads at speeds of 35+ and especially on the freeway when driving without traffic. Lexus was great and had a representative ride with me and then we compared another CT to mine - the noise was the same. Any suggestions or solutions?
I was hearing the road noise on my 3 hour drive home from the dealer. It definitely was more pronounced on certain roads. Maybe the roads in your area are constructed a certain way, perhaps with grooves? Anyway, if there still is road noise now, I'm not noticing it as much. It might be something that you will get used to and just was one of those changes from your last auto that takes a while to get comfortable with. I really think that is a factor in several things with the CT, such as the arm rest positions. I still don't think they are in very good, but I might be getting used to them somewhat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find the CT noisier than the Mazda 3 for example. Especially on coarse surface roads. May be because mine has low profile 17 inch wheels - that is for sure a significant factor.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The road noise doesn't seem particularly pronounced in my car. What kind of tires does your car have? Mine has the Michelin Primacy MXMs.

I think turning on the Automatic Sound Levelizer really makes the highway noise seem less noticable. :) It works really well.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
rebalance and realignment ?

I find the CT noisier than the Mazda 3 for example. Especially on coarse surface roads. May be because mine has low profile 17 inch wheels - that is for sure a significant factor.
My CT is extremely quiet, I cannot imagine a Mazda 3 being more quiet. The Mazda 3 is a much cheaper car, less sound deadening material and minimal airchanneling underneath.

Xena,

Could your tires possibly be causing the noise? Do you have the 215/45R17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires ? That is what I have and they are very quiet. If you have those and they are making excessive noise then you could possibly have a tire problem. Has your car be rebalanced and realigned? If not, you might ask the dealer if they would on their nickle. Also, is ther anyway you could go with you dealer and drive another CT under the same conditions and see if you get the same noise. If they go along with this and the second CT is quiet then it is something wrong with your car. If the second CT has the same noise level, then you are out-of-luck :mad:.

Good Luck,

MidCow3

·
Registered
410 Posts
We all have a different gauge for what is considered noisy. I would never say the CT is noisy. On certains roads, yes I can hear the tires a bit more. However, on most roads it is very quiet. One of the things I really liked about the CT, compared to the Prius.

IMO... the CT is definitely more quiet than my two Mazda 3's. (great little car too) I had an 04 & 06. The CT's cabin is much quieter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I seem to notice more road noise than I remembered from my test drives. It's a low, groaning type noise that gets much worse on certain road surfaces. It is louder than my 2001 IS300 (with new tires). When I take it in for the first service, I'll have them check the balancing of the tires. Is it possible that the combination of low profile and low rolling resistance tires is noisier?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would never compare an Avalon to a Ct. The Avalon is extremely quiet....maybe not as quiet as the 460.....but very, very quiet.
What I don't understand is how someone can test drive a vehicle and complain after the purchase about something that should have been noticed on the test drive. I test drive a vehicle on all different types of surfaces.....I don't care if the salesperson prefers us to take a shorter trip or not, he can stay at the dealership and I'll see him in about 30 minutes.
BTW....yes, the CT does have road noise, but I find all the other positives out weigh that one negative.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I currently own a CT and an '07 RX400h. It is as quiet as the RX at all speeds. I've also owned an MDX, TL, Venza, Tribute and all were slightly noisier (in increasing order). The '08 IS250 AWD I also had for 2 years (I miss that car!) was the quietest car I've ever owned.

Russian: My brother owned an '05 Mazda 3 GT until the engine blew twice on him - needless to say and contrary to what you stated, I've driven it several times over the last few years and it was VERY noisy (wind and tire noise) and no way even close to the CT. He got an '11 Mazda 3 (2.0) and although much improved over the last gen, it still is not as quiet than the CT at all speeds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
road noise should be more apparent in the CT as our cars are virtually silent from engine noise. hence, ears being ears, they will start searching for other source of sound. thats why tire and road noise is main source of sound.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I was driving an IS250 loaner car today while my CT was being serviced and I thought the noise level and the ride were surprisingly comparable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For me the CT is the quietest car I've ever had, and is quiter than bigger BMW and Mercedes of some friends.
Ofcourse, it depends of the road pavement, but on all my previous cars motor noise and vibration (even nice ones as in sports cars) was always twice louder than some noises that i now notice because of my CT's general silence!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the sound dampening is not as good as I would have hoped, especially when driving in the rain.

Try going over a puddle and it feels like there is a thin piece of cardboard or something between you and the environment o_o

Wind noise is prevalent at higher speeds when it is windy outside. However, on nicely paved roads, it is very quiet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When changing the tires in spring, I notice that the summer tires' (17'') noise depends much more on road surface than the snow tires' (16'') does. I'm thinking of getting 16'' all season tires when the snow tires are through in 2 to 3 years.
Someone suggested bitumen spray in the wheel cases. Don't know if this helps, but since it's not too expensive...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My CT came with (the default) 17" Yokohama DB summer tires. In the winter I switch to Michelin Primacy Alpin (also 17"). The Yokohama's clearly produce a lot(!) more road noise inside the car than the Michelin's (on the same rims). I even would like to call the Yokohama's "irritating" on this matter! I think it's a really bad choise from Lexus to select these tires for the CT (in The Netherlands). My next summer tires will be probably Michelin's...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts