1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
371 Posts
Excellent... thanks for posting the pictures!

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Prettyyyyyyyyy. LOL.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Liking that :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I see a small belt on the lower front of the engine. Anybody know what it pulls?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good catch.I believe these pics are of the first generation of this motor. We are on the 3rd version which I believe has eliminated the drive belt.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good catch.I believe these pics are of the first generation of this motor. We are on the 3rd version which I believe has eliminated the drive belt.
That is what I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Very cool! Does anyone know what's used, if anything, to cool the electric components and electric motor? The only obvious part of the hybrid system that I found was the cooling fan for the rear battery (near rear passenger seat/door).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very cool! Does anyone know what's used, if anything, to cool the electric components and electric motor? The only obvious part of the hybrid system that I found was the cooling fan for the rear battery (near rear passenger seat/door).
There is a separate cooling system with radiators for the electrics.

Check page 498 on the link below. Pay attention to number 1 and number 4 in the drawing

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM76004U/pdf/sec_04-03.pdf

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yeah. The actual HSD electric components in the inverter actually have channels where coolant runs through to cool the electric components. It's pretty awesome!

If I'm not mistaken, the inverter actually gets circulated coolant first because the circuits in the inverter are most likely to heat up fastest under high-load conditions. then the coolant enters the reservoir, and the pump recirculates the coolant to the engine and then back to the radiator.

There are channels and fins that circulate the coolant inside the inverter, sorta like a water-cooled heatsink.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Yeah. The actual HSD electric components in the inverter actually have channels where coolant runs through to cool the electric components. It's pretty awesome!

If I'm not mistaken, the inverter actually gets circulated coolant first because the circuits in the inverter are most likely to heat up fastest under high-load conditions. then the coolant enters the reservoir, and the pump recirculates the coolant to the engine and then back to the radiator.

There are channels and fins that circulate the coolant inside the inverter, sorta like a water-cooled heatsink.
Thanks Matt, that answers what I was looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts