· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From this:
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Wheel

To this:

Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Car Plant

Car Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

Due to the influence of our fellow members, I was motivated to pursue this DIY. The parts are sourced from our local wreckers here down under.

Tools needed:
19mm socket for steering wheel nut
Phillips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Prying tool
Wire Cutter
Electrical tape
Additional wires
Pigtail remover - optional
Sumitomo TS 025 Female Terminal 0.22 - 0.5mm2 (24 - 20AWG) - (this is need to instrument cluster but optional to your preference)

Before starting anything, please disconnect the 12v battery for safety measures and accidental airbag deployment. This is important.

I started with the replacement of steering wheel

1. Remove the airbag
Pop the covers located behind the steering wheel (right is at the cruise control, left is a cover). Once the covers are out, locate the three pins that holds the airbag. 1st pin can been seen easily from the bottom left side of the steering wheel and the other two is way up. Below is the Youtube link on where you can find the pins:

Steering wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Vehicle

There are three wires connected to the airbag. Use a prying tool to pop up the yellow tabs on the black and orange connectors. The ground wire also has a notch and you can use a small flathead screwdriver or prying tool to disconnect it from the airbag.

2. Remove the 19mm nut holding the steering wheel and electrical connectors
Once the nut is removed, disconnect the black and white electrical connectors located just above the spline. Even though the nut has been removed, I observed that the steering wheel is firmly sitting on the spline. Tap the steering clockwise and counter clockwise to make it loose. You can wiggle by holding the steering wheel but be careful to avoid the clockspring being damaged.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Here's another Youtube video link that you can refer to for the entire steering wheel removal:

If you are only planning to change the steering wheel, just do everything in reverse.

Next, adding wire to the system to support the new instrument gauge using the buttons of the new steering wheel

3. Remove the instrument cluster and cover
Using a pry tool, pry the cover and disconnect the power button. Here's the Youtube link:

You can proceed to remove the entire instrument cluster if you wish to do so.

4. Remove the steering column cover
Use the Philips screwdriver to remove the screws facing you. Next, pry the covers on the left and right of top steering cover. The top cover should go first and the bottom cover can be easily removed by sliding towards to you.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

5. Add additional wire to the black socket found on the bottom of the steering column
Remove the black socket
Gear shift Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Cut the black and white wire. Note that there are two black and white wires. You will use the one located on top running no. 4 from left to right
Connect a new wire leading to the behind of the instrument cluster connector
Finger Thumb Gadget Nail Wrist

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continuation:

Run the other end of the wire to the no. 20 of the instrument cluster connector. I suggest that you need to buy the terminal so you can ensure the connections is secured.
Unfortunately for me, there is no terminal that I can purchase in our area hence I just stuffed the wire in the No. 20 hole.

Hood Bicycle handlebar Finger Electrical wiring Automotive design

Finger Hardware programmer Circuit component Electrical wiring Cable

6. Add wire to No. 17 and connect it to existing no. 19
Run a new wire on the No. 17 slot

Circuit component Finger Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic component

and connect it to no. 19

Hand Gesture Finger Gadget Hood

Finger Electrical wiring Circuit component Networking cables Electrical supply

Test it before putting everything back to ensure it is working.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle

I still have issues with my newsteering wheel controls maybe due to the additional button of the dynamic radar cruise control. The good thing is I can navigate to the new instrument cluster using the new steering wheel minus the okay (circle dot) and back button.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician or electronics guy. Pure courage and determination for this DIY. Thanks to the help of the members of Lexus CT200h USA (props Jae and Joel for guiding me to this process). I should have taken a video of the whole process but I don't have a GoPro lol.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!
I am from Ukraine and I apologize in advance if my English is a little broken.
I've been looking for such an upgrade for CT for a long time and I'm very glad that someone has gone this way. You're well done!
I have a question. Is it possible to replace the panel (i mean clustert) and leave the old F sport steering wheel (2012 year)? For me, the question is whether the larger display (on the cluster) will work correctly, whether it is possible to control the buttons on the old steering wheel and whether the mileage will be displayed... l/100km ...navigation tips?
Do you need to change the steering wheel and the cluster together? There is no adaptive cruise in my car

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi there!
I am from Ukraine and I apologize in advance if my English is a little broken.
I've been looking for such an upgrade for CT for a long time and I'm very glad that someone has gone this way. You're well done!
I have a question. Is it possible to replace the panel (i mean clustert) and leave the old F sport steering wheel (2012 year)? For me, the question is whether the larger display (on the cluster) will work correctly, whether it is possible to control the buttons on the old steering wheel and whether the mileage will be displayed... l/100km ...navigation tips?
Do you need to change the steering wheel and the cluster together? There is no adaptive cruise in my car
Caveat is that you will have limited functionality of the new cluster (you can't scroll the menu.) with the old steering wheel. I have tried changing the cluster and use the old steering wheel but the display button doesn't work.

Even with the upgraded steering wheel, I still have limited functions. I cannot access the menu/settings and the back button doesn't work. The only thing working is the left and down arrow buttons which is fine for me.

The only thing I didn't try was the wirings (similar to what I did) with the old steering wheel. Try if that works and update us if successful.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts