Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I'm going tobe installing a back up camera and a rear view mirror with built in lcd.
Had a question on where to mount the camera in the rear.
Looking @ the pics from sewell and some factory installed pictures, it looks like the camera is mounted on the left side but its flush mounted. Unlike the prius, the CT doesnt have a "pop out" panel for the camera.

Looking on ebay, there hasnt been a license plate light camera replacement made yet for the CT.

Boyo VTK200C is a universal mounted camera or a licenese plate hole mounted camera.

What would be people's preference if you were to install that?
1: Drill a hole and mount it onto the trunk itself
2:Mount it on one of the license plate holes
3. Mount it onto the license plate light itself, drilling a hole through the lamp light itself and it would

OR does any one have anyother options? I am not comfortable cutting in to the trunk to make it a flush mount although that is the look i prefer becasue i do not want the camer to stand out too much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You are correct, the CT does not have the "pop out" panel like the Prius. Therefore, I went with the BOYO VTL275. It's a full frame chrome license plate bracket with integrated camera, so far I'm pleased with the results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, the CT does not have the "pop out" panel like the Prius. Therefore, I went with the BOYO VTL275. It's a full frame chrome license plate bracket with integrated camera, so far I'm pleased with the results.
thanks!! so did you have to drill an extra hole behind the license plate to feed the wires through? how did you run your wires? i am trying to not drill or cut anything.
Also did you go with a gentex rearview mirror? if so what size of lcd screen?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a local aftermarket company do the install. Yes, they cut a small hole behind the license plate. I went with the Gentex 3.3" (model # 3345) mirror with HomeLink, auto dim and compass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Price

What kind of price are you all talking about here? Both for do-it-yourself and for pro install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Boston! thats exatly the info i needed.

Adam, i'm not sure about the professional install.

Here's what i found online so far
you can find the boyo license plate (thin version) for around $130 on amazon / ebay.
the gentex mirror can be around $250 for 2.4 (or whatever that 2" screen is) screen or the 360 for the 3.3 screen.
The boyo license plate universal camera can run about $90 bucks and a similar generic one on ebay from china can be around $45-50

so it can fun for $300 -$500 for parts alone.
I called one best buy around here and asked how much it would be to install if i brought in all the parts.. he quited $200 for labor, i didnt try calling non big box stores.

Im bringing my car in for the paint film install tomorrow and will ask them how much they'll charge for the install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
installed myself. took about 4 hours, removed cover with lexus emblem and cut out spot for it. drilled into hatch to mount the camera. used a sony camera and gentex 3.5 lcd with auto dimming, model genk352. wife loves it! total cost $443

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Did you put anything on the exposed metal after drilling to avoid corrosion/rust?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Nice work. Do you have any pics of the LCD and where you mounted it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
installed myself. took about 4 hours, removed cover with lexus emblem and cut out spot for it. drilled into hatch to mount the camera. used a sony camera and gentex 3.5 lcd with auto dimming, model genk352. wife loves it! total cost $443
looks nice! Thats what i wanted to do but i'm just too chicken to drill a hole

i just ordered the GNTX-657 (should be the same install, it was slightly cheaper on ebay) over the weekend but i'm going to try the boyo vtl200c, which replaces one of the license plate bolt.
The parts will come this week, I'll post a pic of how it looks after i get it done

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
jimmy the lcd is built into the rear view mirror. google genk352 for pics. its a straight swap since its a standard wedge type mount
Hey Redline, I will try to do it this weekend if i have time. a couple of quick questions:
was the CT200h already pre-wired for the camera? Some cars i read online come prewired, is the CT that way?

Did you run the wires on the driver side to avoid the battery lines on the passenger side?

Also, if it was not prewired, did you tap the same reverse light wire twice? one for the camera and one for the mirror lcd? or did you tap a wire in the front of the car for the mirror lcd instead of running the power line all the way to the back.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Redline, I will try to do it this weekend if i have time. a couple of quick questions:
was the CT200h already pre-wired for the camera? Some cars i read online come prewired, is the CT that way?

Did you run the wires on the driver side to avoid the battery lines on the passenger side?

Also, if it was not prewired, did you tap the same reverse light wire twice? one for the camera and one for the mirror lcd? or did you tap a wire in the front of the car for the mirror lcd instead of running the power line all the way to the back.

Thanks
bump..
redline? anyone? know if the CT comes prewired for the back up camera?

and redline, which wire in the front did you tab for the power to the mirror? and pictures of your installation?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry haven't been online in awhile. i ran the wires along the drivers side. My CT was not pre wired so i would assume yours is not. i tapped into the harness in the front behind the kick panel. the mirror has a harness that runs all the way to the rear and it plugs into the power box for the camera so you only tap into the harness for ignition power and reverse signal. theres a ground for the harness above the kick panel but its a bit tight cause of the e-brake. behind the kick panel theres a big white connector thats where i tapped into. just use a test light to find your power and reverse signal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
theres not really anything to take pictures of now, i tucked the wires behind the a-pillar and pulled up the door sill panels to run the harness along the main harness. also ran the camera harness through the hatch and down the rear pillar along the main harness, very tedious and time consuming but very clean looking install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry haven't been online in awhile. i ran the wires along the drivers side. My CT was not pre wired so i would assume yours is not. i tapped into the harness in the front behind the kick panel. the mirror has a harness that runs all the way to the rear and it plugs into the power box for the camera so you only tap into the harness for ignition power and reverse signal. theres a ground for the harness above the kick panel but its a bit tight cause of the e-brake. behind the kick panel theres a big white connector thats where i tapped into. just use a test light to find your power and reverse signal!
thanks redline! weather was kinda bad on sat so i didnt get a chance. I will try to get this done by the end of the month and take some pictures for others

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which camera did you use Redline? I bought the gentex mirror but i am having trouble to find the camera. I really like flush look like yours.

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks redline! weather was kinda bad on sat so i didnt get a chance. I will try to get this done by the end of the month and take some pictures for others
Did you ever complete this project as I would be interested to see some pictures, considering doing this myself.

One of the key items I am struggling to understand is the windsheild mount for the rearview mirror. Most of the Gentex mirrors are wedge mounts, haven't been able to find any info on what type of mount is in the lexus or how to remove the existing mirror safely.

Did you have to completely remove the existing mount and install a wedge mount for it?

thanks in advance for any input on this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts