Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Phillips H11 CrystalVison Headlights. It was a quick replacement, light output is a bit whiter slightly brighter, I haven't driven the car at night yet so I can't comment on that.

I have been contemplating about getting HIDs but I remember how I hate when people put on ridiculous aftermarket HIDs or drive with highbeams on, I decided not to. However after installing these the limit or view line is fairly solid, I might try it anyway :eek:...

Here's some pics!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been contemplating about getting HIDs but I remember how I hate when people put on ridiculous aftermarket HIDs or drive with highbeams on, I decided not to. However after installing these the limit or view line is fairly solid, I might try it anyway :eek:...
As long as you have a headlight "projector" housings aftermarket HIDs should be fine. It is when people install HIDs on halogen non-projector housings that it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you have a headlight "projector" housings aftermarket HIDs should be fine. It is when people install HIDs on halogen non-projector housings that it becomes an issue.
Have you used any aftermarket HIDs? Any recommendations? I don't mind spending a bit more money for quality and longevity.

·
Registered
222 Posts
on the 2nd pic, is the left side with the philips bulbs and the right side is stock? hard to really tell in the pics.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the 2nd pic, is the left side with the philips bulbs and the right side is stock? hard to really tell in the pics.
Yes, the lens on the left is the Philips. It's definitely whiter than stock. I can't shoot the fog light and headlights at the same time, it keeps creating a glare, the difference is definitely noticeable, but not as white as HIDs I've grown accustomed to.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have installed DDM tuning's HID's in my Cobra and a few friends and family member's vehicles. As Thsiao mentioned, projector headlights are perfect for HIDs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can tell the difference. I changed mine too. One of my MTEC bulbs blew after two days. (after I paid $122 for dealer to change 6 bulbs) Grrrh.... I'm waiting for the replacement bulbs under warranty.

My goal is to have the headlights match as much as possible to the DRL's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heygurl I am in the lighting business. MTEC sells pretty cheap and low quality lighting products. if I were you I'd invest either some Sylvania or Phillips bulbs IF you don't want to step up to HID's. I bought an HID set for $69 and might even switch out those bulbs with a Phillips or Sylvania product. GE or Venture may even make a H11 bulb.

What is really important no matter how good the bulb is its the ballast you should look closely at. The CT's power lines I'm guessing probably fluctuate a lot do to the battery and intricate electrical system. There may be periods of spikes and that could lead to multiple bulb blow outs. Having a good ballast to regulate power so the bulbs don't fry is key. This is one of the reasons I stayed away from ordering the factory upgraded LED head lamps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Heygurl I am in the lighting business. MTEC sells pretty cheap and low quality lighting products. if I were you I'd invest either some Sylvania or Phillips bulbs IF you don't want to step up to HID's. I bought an HID set for $69 and might even switch out those bulbs with a Phillips or Sylvania product. GE or Venture may even make a H11 bulb.

What is really important no matter how good the bulb is its the ballast you should look closely at. The CT's power lines I'm guessing probably fluctuate a lot do to the battery and intricate electrical system. There may be periods of spikes and that could lead to multiple bulb blow outs. Having a good ballast to regulate power so the bulbs don't fry is key. This is one of the reasons I stayed away from ordering the factory upgraded LED head lamps.
Thanks CTSurfer. I really appreciate that info. I certainly was not trying to order a low quality bulb. It's already a PIA. hehe I was just following the lead of another forum members. Maybe he will have better luck with MTEC. I like the color of Phillips CrystalVison in 2Hunny's pic. So I will definitely take your advice and do a little research between the ones you listed and get those. I defintely can no deal with them blowing out every month. hehe

Good look'in out... thanks much. ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok, so I just ordered the Phillips CrystalVision... See, I don't mess around! Thanks guys! ;-)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I just ordered the Phillips CrystalVision... See, I don't mess around! Thanks guys! ;-)
I picked mine up from Amazon, it was $32 and some change, currently on sale hopefully they last a long period of time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I picked mine up from Amazon, it was $32 and some change, currently on sale hopefully they last a long period of time.
Interesting...when i go to Amazon and use the link at top that pops out to verify that they fit my vehicle, it comes back saying:

This product does not fit your 2011 Lexus CT200h

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, that's exactly where I ordered mine from. ;-)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats guys! I will post pics when I get my HID's installed and upgrade the bulbs with one of the manufacturers I mentioned. I'm really paying for the ballast and the wiring more so than the bulbs. I seriously doubt HHK is sending me a good quality HID bulbs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats guys! I will post pics when I get my HID's installed and upgrade the bulbs with one of the manufacturers I mentioned. I'm really paying for the ballast and the wiring more so than the bulbs. I seriously doubt HHK is sending me a good quality HID bulbs.
What kelvin are you getting?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting...when i go to Amazon and use the link at top that pops out to verify that they fit my vehicle, it comes back saying:

This product does not fit your 2011 Lexus CT200h
They probably haven't updated their database. It will fit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm installing 4300 Kelvin. 5000 Kelvin can start to be bit bluish but not all the time. Depends on the manufacturer. Other people driving with bluish head beams annoy me so I don't want to be a hypocrite! Higher Kelvin bulbs will also have shorter lifespan than a warmer or lower Kelvin bulb. 4300k is pretty crispy white and will last.

Fire Agate w/ Carmel
Premium w/ Nav
Bamboo trim
Shark Fin Antenna ordered
HID Head Beams ordered
F-Sport Wheels ordered
Kicker 6.5" CVT Sub woofer* replaced stock sub *

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I'm installing 4300 Kelvin. 5000 Kelvin can start to be bit bluish but not all the time. Depends on the manufacturer. Other people driving with bluish head beams annoy me so I don't want to be a hypocrite! Higher Kelvin bulbs will also have shorter lifespan than a warmer or lower Kelvin bulb. 4300k is pretty crispy white and will last.

Fire Agate w/ Carmel
Premium w/ Nav
Bamboo trim
Shark Fin Antenna ordered
HID Head Beams ordered
F-Sport Wheels ordered
Kicker 6.5" CVT Sub woofer* replaced stock sub *
I couldn't help to notice your sub woofer replacement in your signature. I looked to see if you created a thread on here but couldn't find one on it. Is it a direct swap out and how does it sound compared to the OEM sub? From what I've been reading, it sounds like the Premium Audio isn't all that great for bass (and I ordered the Premium Audio package).

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
It doesn't even compare plain and simple! I purchased this 6.5" Kicker Sub and it fit perfectly and matches the rest of the audio system perfectly! It sounds amazing! The speaker and wiring kit cost me $90 out the door!

CompVT | KICKER

I'd recommend this product to anyone and since we don't have a lot of trunk space this speaker doesn't require any additional room or boxes. Just swap out the existing stock speaker and replace it with this. I'd recommend perhaps a 250w amp though my 175 watt Blaupunkt amp is sufficient for me. The speaker is rated too 300 watts with and RMS of 150 watts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts