Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the main list of parts for all the LEDs and changing interior lights: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le...rself/131178-install-interior-led-lights.html
Change headlights to LED: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le...-install-75-led-headlights-bright-enough.html
Change foglights to OEM LED: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le...all-lexus-oem-led-fog-lights-2011-ct200h.html

I did this on my 2011 CT200h.

It is not an easy task to change the flasher, if you have big hands and arms or body you probably will not be able to do this. It is very hard to remove the flasher and takes a lot of force.

It kind of is similar to this prius gen3 change flasher relay video, except the relay is on top of a connector block so you cant see it and can only feel for it with your hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhJuQxPJmHM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb7444NA

NA= Natural Amber Glass
74437443-A45-T Amberhttps://www.superbrightleds.com/more...bulb/634/2081/$24.95

Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb7440A

A=Painted Amber Glass
70447440-A45-T
Amber
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...wer-bulb/1013/24.95

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replacement flasher for LED turn signals: Amazon.com: 8-Pin 81980-50030 066500-4650 Electronic LED Flasher Assy Relay Fix For Lexus Scion or Toyota LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs: Automotive
LED Flasher $11.99
The stock flasher will fast flash or hyperflash when you change to LED turn signals. To have it flash normally you need to buy a new flasher that will work with the lower current draw of the LEDs.

It replaces the stock OEM flasher P/N 81980-50030 used in the CT200h.

This relay works perfectly with the LEDs I bought.

Front Turn Signal
The only tools is sockets for the rear taillight housing and a flat head screwdriver or pry tool for access to the front turn signals.

1. To remove the cover for access to the headlight/turn signals follow the instructions here: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le...-install-75-led-headlights-bright-enough.html

2. Reach behind the headlight housing to the side with the turn signal. Turn it to the left to loosen the bulb and pull it out.
The bulb pulls straight out of the socket.

3. Insert the 7443 LED bulb into the socket and test to make sure it works. If it does not work then turn the bulb around to make sure it has the correct polarity and reinsert the bulb.
4. Insert the LED bulb into the housing and turn to the right to lock it in place.
5. Repeat on the other side of the car.
6. Reattach the black cover with the push pins.

Rear Turn Signals

1. Open the rear hatch of the car.

2. Use a screw driver or pry tool to open the caps over the tail light housing.
3. Use a socket to remove the two screws holding in the tail light.

4. Pull the tail light straight back/away from the car.

5. Reach behind the housing and turn the bulb socket to the left and pull it out.

6. Pull out the old bulb.
7. Insert the 7440 LED bulb and test to make sure it works. If it does not work then turn the bulb around to make sure it has the correct polarity and reinsert the bulb.
8. Push the LED socket into the housing and turn to the right to lock it in place.
9. Push the housing back into the car. Make sure the the tail light catches the white side pin.
10. Reinstall the two screws.
11. Push the two plugs back in place.

Changing the LED Turn Single Flashing Relay

The relay is behind the dash to the left of the speed/tach display. The dash cannot be removed to reach it. I kept removing pieces until nothing else would remove and metal frame and the computer prevent you from reaching the relay.
The relay is deep inside the dash near the firewall.
(I had all the top pieces on the dash removed, I just dont have a picture of that. You can try to take it apart if you want, but you wont be able to reach the relay)

The only way to reach the relay is to lay on your back underneath the dash with your feet hanging out of the car. You can only get one arm/hand behind the dash to reach the relay. The relay is on the top side of a connector block so you cannot see it. You can only feel for it.

1. Turn on the car or the accessory setting (double push start button, but dont push brake). Turn on a turn signal so you can hear the relay clicking.

(View laying on your back looking up into the dash)

(View laying on your back looking up into the dash)

2. Lay on your back and look up behind the dash to the driver side door side of the instrument cluster.
The relay is on top of the black connector block. You can feel for the clicking to get an idea where it is and visualize what you are touching.

3. You need to wiggle, shake, and pull really hard until the relay slides off of the clip. You push it toward the rear of the car. This was not easy to do. I really had to pull hard and wiggle it loose for a while before it came off. I yelled a lot and scraped up my hand doing this. Not easy at all, it takes a lot of force.

(here is picture of relay hanging down)

(relay hanging down)

(connector hanging down with relay removed)
4. Once you have it free, you can pull it down so you can reach the cable connector with both hands and remove it.

5. Clip in the new LED flasher relay and test it. Your turn signals should flash like normal.

6. Now you can either blindly reach the relay up to its original location and snap it back into the original clip or you can just zip tie it to the metal framing so it does not move around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Edit: Questions:
1. Do you need load resistors?
2. Anyone ever consider switchback LED for the front turn signals?

I wanted to do this but ended up with stealth bulbs. Thanks to this, I think I'll end up doing it. I just like the look of LED turn signals a lot more. I kinda of tried to find where the flasher is and I could locate it pretty easily thanks to these instructions. It is to the left and down of the steering wheel if you're in the driver seat. If you turn on the turn signal, you really can hear and feel it click. I'll probably attempt to get the flasher free today and then replace all the bulbs later since I already know how to do that. Thanks for the great guide! Makes a lot of sense now that I laid under my dash and stared up and behind my steering wheel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can you double check to see if your arrows are correct? From what I felt on my car, I think the arrow pointing to engine is actually the driver door and the rear is the passenger door. The cable end is coming out of the left side towards the driver door.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is all by feel so I am pretty sure of the directions. It seemed like I will pushing it towards the rear of the car.

If you feel where the connector plugs into the relay, then you just need to wiggle, shake, and push the relay away from where the wire connector plugs into it to slide it off the clip.

It is really hard to do since you cant get a screw driver in there to unclip it, so you essentially just shake and push it until the clip just pops free.
I was to the point of trying so hard to try and purposely break the plastic clip by twisting the relay and shaking it, but eventually it slid off.

Also, no load resisters needed since I changed the flaser relay to one that will work with the lower current of the LEDs.
If you want to use the stock flasher relay with LEDs then you would need load resisters.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know if switch back LEDs would work here unless you ran another wire to the turn signals.
I would think you need to add another power wire to the switchback LED so that it will turn white when the turn signal is not used?
The turn signals bulbs only have power when the turn signal flasher is active.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is all by feel so I am pretty sure of the directions. It seemed like I will pushing it towards the rear of the car.

If you feel where the connector plugs into the relay, then you just need to wiggle, shake, and push the relay away from where the wire connector plugs into it to slide it off the clip.

It is really hard to do since you cant get a screw driver in there to unclip it, so you essentially just shake and push it until the clip just pops free.
I was to the point of trying so hard to try and purposely break the plastic clip by twisting the relay and shaking it, but eventually it slid off.

Also, no load resisters needed since I changed the flaser relay to one that will work with the lower current of the LEDs.
If you want to use the stock flasher relay with LEDs then you would need load resisters.
If I may ask, what year is your ct? I have a 2013 and maybe there were slight changes. Anyways, I felt to the top of that little area and the wires come in from the left (driver door) side. So i would assume I need to go right (passenger door side).

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2011.
As you can see in the pictures the clip on the relay does slide off opposite to where the connector plugs in.
So if your connector is pointing to the driver door then you need to slide it toward the passenger door.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2011.
As you can see in the pictures the clip on the relay does slide off opposite to where the connector plugs in.
So if your connector is pointing to the driver door then you need to slide it toward the passenger door.
Just wanted to confirm before I started wiggling and pulling with all my might ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
So after wrestling with it for like 15 mins, I gave up. My arm and shoulder is sore, those 2 tabs in the back are bent, but the flasher is still not budging. Would you mind uploading some pics or video of the led turn signal so I can decide (and I am sure others are interested) if it is worth me spending more time wrestling with the flasher? Thanks!

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can take some pictures.

All you need to do is get the cable off, but I could not get it off on mine with only one hand. When I got the entire flasher free, the connector removed easily with two hands.

I think the trick to getting the flasher free is rocking it up and down to lift it enough so it can slide off without the tab/clip stopping it. I really used a lot of force since I decided to try and break it off as I was frustrated and it finally slid off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Honestly, this was too much work. Ended up getting bulbs with built in resistors. They have them at Pep Boys and ebay. Thanks for your guide and all your help but I am going to go the lazy route! haha

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone tried these bulbs from iJDMToy? Supposed to be error free or in other words they will work with current system with no changes.

Error Free No Resistor Required CREE High Power 7440 LED Bulbs
or these ones
7440 Error Free LED Bulbs | Turn Signal Lights, Backup Lights
or even these ones
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Error-Free-CREE-High-Power-7440-LED-Bulbs-p/20-009.htm

The other question I have is, the rear turn signal bulb numbers are specified as "WY21W" according to the Lexus Owner's manual (Page 688). Are 7443 or 7440's interchangeable with these bulbs?

·
Registered
123 Posts
7443 vs 7440 is the same except one has double filament. You can use them interchangeably as far as I know but the single filament isn't as bright. The ones you listed looks like it should work without problem. I ended up going with a different one but wish I went with something like this. The ones I got had the wires comes from the side of the bulb connected to a resistor I assume. The wires need to come back out from inside the housing and I just pinched it against the rubber seal. It works but if they ever stop working or need to be replaced, I would use something like what you listed.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Glad to know about their installation. These signals are very helpful in the night driving and LED signal are seen from a wide range of meters.I like it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well I successfully got the led relay installed. It was a huge PITA!!! I would not wish this project on my worst enemy. Thanks to the OP for writing up the instructions! The only thing that was different is that the plug to the relay faces the drivers side not the front of the vehicle. So when you are taking the relay off the clip you have to pull towards the passenger side, not the rear of the vehicle. I was also not able to get the new relay clipped back in so I just kept it down and zip tied it to a wire bundle. I figure led it's probably best this way anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well I successfully got the led relay installed. It was a huge PITA!!! I would not wish this project on my worst enemy. Thanks to the OP for writing up the instructions! The only thing that was different is that the plug to the relay faces the drivers side not the front of the vehicle. So when you are taking the relay off the clip you have to pull towards the passenger side, not the rear of the vehicle. I was also not able to get the new relay clipped back in so I just kept it down and zip tied it to a wire bundle. I figure led it's probably best this way anyway.

So I have attempted about a dozen or so different LED's for the turn signal bulbs and no two LED's are created equal, even if they look similar and have the same amount of LED's. I did find the OP's LED's to be the best for the rear turn signals but not the front. The problem I really dislike about these LED's is the clear yellow base. This is easily reflected in the clear rear housing and gives a yellow tint which I do not like. I'm going to take the LED's out and tape off the top and bottom portion and spray paint the exposed yellow flat black. This should eliminate the nasty reflection in the rear housing and give a stealth look. As for front turn signal LED's, I'm still experimenting....

·
Registered
123 Posts
i purchased these for my turn signals

7443 7440 Amber Yellow High Power CREE 7W LED Turn Signal Blinker Light Bulbs US | eBay

the fronts went in perfect and do not require anything else (they flash perfectly) when i tried to install in the rear housings they were just a few mm too long. i have a different set on the way for a test fitting now.
Nice! Please update when you find one that fits the rear housing! I'm not too satisfied with my LED turn signals and these look interesting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts