Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Install Interior LED Lights

64K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  TobiasSing 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a list of all the bulbs in the CT200h and which LEDs I used or will use and a quick description on installation.
This is for a 2011 CT200h.
LightStyleLED StyleLEDDescriptionQTYInstall
Back Up Light Bulb921194WLED-xHP13-T

Oversized
Bulb
194 LED Bulb - 13 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | Miniature Wedge Base LEDs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs$12.95LED Back Up Lights2On the rear of the car. Access by prying open the small access panel on the inside of the rear hatch. Turn left to release the housing and pull bulb straight out.
Brake Light BulbLEDX
Center High Mount Stop Light BulbLEDX
Courtesy Light Bulb175168WLED-xHP5Search Results For "168" | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs$5.95LED Visor Light2Above sun visors inside car. Use plastic pry tool to remove lens from one side.
Mirror Puddle Light Bulb?168WLED-xHP5Search Results For "168" | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs$5.95LED Mirror Puddle Light2Remove mirror with plastic pry tool. Remove 5 screws to open housing. Twist bulb to the left to remove old bulb.
Daytime Running Light BulbLEDX
Dome Light BulbDE317530223022-xHP4Search Results For "de3175" | LED Products | Super Bright LEDs$6.95LED Dome Light1Above passenger seat. Use plastic pry tool to pry open from the two notches towards the front/engine side of the car. Pull bulb from one side to tilt it out.
Fog Light BulbH112011 CT200h: Fog Lamp - LED - New from the latest 2014 model builds, the Lexus fog lamp feature a Light Emitting Diode (LED), which use less energy while providing a dramatic styling element and most importantly makes your Lexus more visible to other$137Fog Light2In bumber behind the wheel well liner.
High Beam Headlight BulbH9
Low Beam Headlight BulbH11H11CREE - XML2 chip 2400lm 20W40W 2400x2 LM 6000K H4 H L H7 H11 CREE XML Chip Car LED Head Light Fog Lamp DRL | eBay$75.99 Set of 22
License Light Bulb168168WLED-xHP5Search Results For "168" | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs$5.95LED License Plate Lights2On the rear of the car. Access by prying open the small access panel on the inside of the rear hatch. Turn left to release the housing and pull bulb straight out.
Map Light Bulb168168WLED-xHP5Search Results For "168" | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs$5.95LED Front Map Lights2Above rearview mirror. Use plastic pry tool to pry open from the seam towards the front/engine side of the car. Light pulls straight down.
Parking Light Bulb

*I dont think this exists.
7444NA

NA= Natural Amber Glass
74437443-A45-T Amberhttps://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-16mm-wedge-base-7443-tower-bulb/634/2081/

I dont actually think this bulb exists, I cant find any other bulbs on my CT200h. It may be that this is also the front turn signal and they just listed it twice for some strange reason.
$24.95?
Rear Side Marker Light BulbLEDX
Tail Light BulbLEDX
Trunk or Cargo Area LightDE302230223022-xHP4Search Results For "de3175" | LED Products | Super Bright LEDs$6.95LED Cargo Light1Side panel in the rear cargo area. Pull bulb from one side to tilt it out.
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb7440A

A=Painted Amber Glass
70447440-A45-T
Amber
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...5hp-led-16mm-wedge-base-7440-tower-bulb/1013/24.95?2
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb7444NA

NA= Natural Amber Glass
74437443-A45-T Amberhttps://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-16mm-wedge-base-7443-tower-bulb/634/2081/$24.95?2

I have installed everything except the turn signals and headlights.

If found out what the A and NA mean.
A = Amber painted glass (cheaper to make)
NA= Natural Amber glass (glass is made with the amber color)

Also, I dont think the parking light listed above even exists.
The only lights I see on the front housing of the car are the high headlight H9, low headlight H11, drl leds, side yellow marker light led, and the 7444NA turn signal. There are no other bulbs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the kit I purchased from Velocity Shop: White SMD LED Interior, License Plate and Back up Lights Package Lexus CT200H 11-12
LDK-DCLB-LEX-CT200H
White SMD LED Interior, License Plate and Back up Lights Package Lexus CT200H 11-12
Qty: 1 at $29.80 .............................................. $29.80
5050 SMD LEDs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QTY 2 puddle lights on the mirrors
QTY 2 visor lights
Purchased from superbrightled: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/919/
168 LED Bulb = WLED-WHP5
$5.95 ea
5050 SMD LEDs

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le.../131186-install-mirror-puddle-led-lights.html
Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit 4 Pc
Plastic Prybar Set from Harbor Freight
$5.99
(this is so you dont scratch anything while prying, also used to remove your side mirrors for the puddle lights)
Backup lights - 194 LEDs (outer lights) and License plate lights - 168 LEDs (inner lights)

1. Just pry open the 4 access hatches on the cargo door.
2. Rotate the bulb socket to the left to pull out the bulb socket. (the license plate lights have a very tight fit, may hands barely fit, if you have big basketball player hands you may not be able to read them.)
3. Install the LED bulb into the socket.
4. Check that at the bulbs work and swap their directions if needed. (the LED bulbs only work one direction due to the polarity).
5. After verifying all the LEDs work, reinsert the socket into the housing and rotate it to the right to lock it in place.
6. Reinstall the 4 access hatches.
Less than 10 minute job.
Cargo Light - 3022 LED

1. Use the plastic pry tool to pry open the housing.
2. This LED bulb is slightly longer than the original bulb. You will need to bend the tabs to get the new LED to fit properly.
3. Install the LED bulb.
4. Check that it is working. If not then reverse the bulb.
5. After verifying it works, the push the housing back into place.
Dome Light - 3022 LED

1. Use the plastic pry tool to open the dome housing at the notch. Just pry it open.
2. This bulb is a little longer so you need to bend the tabs to get the new bulb in.
3. Check the bulb works and reverse it if it does not.
4. After verifying the bulb works, push the cover back on.
Map Lights - 168 LED

1. Use the plastic pry tool to open the cover by prying from the windshield side.
2. It is hard to grip the old bulbs to remove. I wrapped a rubber charity bracelet around the bubs, tightened it, and then pulled down and the bulbs came right out. Also a rubber band would probably work to do this.
3. Install the new bulbs.
4. Verify they work and reverse the bulb if needed.
5. After verifying the work the push back on the cover.
Visor/Courtesy Lights - 168 LED

1. Use the plastic pry tool to open the cover. I pried from the left side.
2. Swap the bulbs.
3. Verify the bulb works and swap it around if needed. (for those who dont know how to turn this on, you just slide the visor mirror cover over and it switches on the light).
4. Reinstall the cover.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the turn signals and when I get them I will make a new topic to install.
I could not find the parking light listed above and I dont think it actually exists. I think they just listed the front signal twice as the parking light.
Here are the only bulbs I could find:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yes, I am only changing the halogens to LED. Stock LEDs will be untouched.

I bought some generic china LED headlight bulbs, but I have not received it yet to see if it is bright enough to replace the stock halogens. The OEM LED headlights are like $1,700 a piece so that is not worth buying.
I have not bought the turn signal LED bulbs yet either, but I did buy a new flasher relay that is needed for the lower wattage LED turn signals.
Amazon.com: 8-Pin 81980-50030 066500-4650 Electronic LED Flasher Assy Relay Fix For Lexus Scion or Toyota LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs: Automotive

All that i have left to do is the headlights and turn signals.
The only halogen lights you cant get rid of are the high beam lights. Even on the OEM LED headlight the lows are LED and the highs are still halogen.
I guess no one makes an LED bright enough for your brights.

#5 · (Edited)
They are basically the same brightness as the stock halogen, but instead of yellowish they are daylight/white color.
The 168s from velocity shop are the same as the ones from superbrightled, but the velocity shop is cheaper for the kit than buying the individual bulbs from superbrightled.
They are 5050 SMD LEDs. The Velocity shop kit is short QTY 4 of the 168 bulbs to be a complete kit. They are missing 2 for the puddle lights and 2 for the visor/courtesy lights. If you go to their store ask for 4 more of the 168 bulbs so you can change all of them. Superbrightled sells them for $6 each so dont pay more than that from velocity shop for the extras.
The only way to get brighter is to get oversized bulbs with more LEDs on them. I would say that in each housing you could fit any bulb that was double the length of the standard size.

The only issue is the 3022 LEDs are longer than the stock halogen cargo and dome lights, so you need to bend the metal tabs to make it fit. It will fit once you bend the tabs. I dont know if you can get an LED to the correct size which is why they probably sell the 3022 size.

The mirror/puddles lights are easily changed, see here: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le.../131186-install-mirror-puddle-led-lights.html

#6 ·
If your not going to pay $1700 for the factory led headlamps, don't even bother with putting your own bulb in there to replace the halogen bulb. No they are not brighter and no they won't have the same light output. Trust me on this. They will be for show only and greatly impair the use of your low beams. There is not an LED headlamp bulb made that can give you light output equal to or greater than the halogen. I have a cree LED bulb in my fogs and they work great for that only. There is a reason why the factory led headlamps have 2 projector bulbs per housing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
As a matter of fact they don't make an LED bulb that projects enough light for a headlamp, period. I know a thing or two. The lumens have nothing to do with how well it projects light. The problem with LED bulbs is that they don't project. That's why the look bright when looking at them, even brighter than halogens. However once you get behind the wheel it's a whole different story. I got top of the line LED bulbs with cree chips and built in projector housings for my fogs, they are WAY brighter than the stock fog light bulbs but light output on the road is less than the stock bulbs even though the lumens are greater.
I'm just trying to warn you but if you come back saying they are equal to or greater than the stock halogen bulbs then I know you're lying. Like a said before there us a reason why the stock CT LED bulbs have two projectors per housing and the new Lexus RC's have 4 or more per housing. If Lexus could pull off one LED projector to get the light output that's needed they would do so. Some cheap Chinese bulb is not going to solve that problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
In the end you may be right, but really you are just guessing. New LEDs come out all the time and it does not sound like you tested anything but LEDs in your fogs.
The LEDs will disperse light differently than the halogen as they are directional and not omnidirectional, so yes even if brighter they may not work in the stock housing as it may not reflect/focus the light properly for the LED orientation.
I say it is worth trying and to document it the results showing if they work or why they dont work.
If you want to try it out, provide pictures, and describe why they dont work then go for it. Posts just being negative with nothing to back it up are pointless.

I searched, there is very little data from people showing the results of their testing. People want to see data, not just hearsay.
To me it is worth trying and then documenting the results so others know if it will or wont work.
Also you never know when a new designed LED will come out that could work.

#11 · (Edited)
Coincidentally the LEDs arrived today.
I took some pictures in a field, but I accidentally had the fogs on so I need to redo it.
I think these will be just as good as the halogen stocks, but white instead of yellow.

I will take some better pictures this weekend on like the darkest road I can find with both the halogens and LEDs.

Stock Halogen headlights and LED fogs.

LED Headlights and LED fogs

LED Headlights only

Attachments

#14 ·
Dude. You have no idea. I had the brilliant idea to replace the interior bulbs yesterday and then decided "might as well do the plate bulbs"... but I'm in Chicago and it was 3 degrees outside.
I got them in, but couldn't feel my hands afterwards.

I have a pair of needle nose pliers that I've wrapped with PTFE tape, so it doesn't mark up the plastic. I unplug the harness and remove the bulb holder with the pliers. After changing the bulb, I reconnect the harness (to prevent losing it in the hatch) and get the holder back in place and twisted just enough so it holds. Then I disconnect the harness and lock it back in with the pliers. The passenger side went in pretty easily, but the driver's side took about ten minutes to get back in (but I'm chalking that up to loss of dexterity due to the cold)

So I replaced the two map lights, rear dome light, hatch light and plate lights yesterday. Still need to do the two vanity lights and the puddles.
My HIDs are arriving today and I got some new bulbs for the fogs, so I might try to finish that up this weekend. I'll post pics.

#15 · (Edited)
ya having pliers help with getting them out, but putting them back in and turning them to lock them in place will likely require your own fingers.

i just tried putting in the reverse lights with a 68SMD LED but my question is: will replacing the reverse lights with LED make it brighter than the stock halogen? i guess i can go bigger than 68SMD and see but it seems like its still not as bright as the stock halogen...i will wait til its dark and see the results outside

left is white LED, right is stock halogens

not sure why my camera is making it blue-ish, but the LED is white to the human eye

#16 ·
#17 · (Edited)
#31 ·
Changing light bulbs in the front map light housing requires removing the plastic trim squares ahead of the lens, then prying the back clip of the lens away from the housing, then dislodging the lens from the pins at the back edge, where the lens pivots up and down to switch the lights on and off. The bulbs are wedge type and pull straight out. DO NOT TWIST them. If you twist them, the socket will pop off and get lost inside the housing, and you will have to remove the housing. Instead put a piece of tape over the bulb, leaving a tail to pull down. Pull the bulb straight down. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

#35 ·
Going to ask a really dumb question. I noticed that the rear cargo light has a switch on it. If I put the switch to on it stays on even if the trunk is close. If I shut the switch off, and open the trunk hatch the light doesn't come on.

Does our cargo light not come on when you open the hatch, does it have to manually be turned on every time?

Thanks,
-Nigel

#36 ·
If you put the switch to off, the light will never come on (mine was delivered to me that way, it took me more than a day to realize there even was a light back there). If you want the light to work normally, put it in the on position. The interior lights stay on for 20 or 30 seconds after the doors are closed. The back door counts the same as the side doors. There is no way to leave that light on permanently with the door closed like there is for the overhead lights.

#38 ·
#39 ·
Ohh nice! I hadn't seen those before. But there is a lot of neat lighting stuff in Japan. I wonder if any of it could be sent to USA? Then again, in my earlier days, I would have just made similar LED boards myself. But the PNP stuff works great now, it's not worth the effort.

#40 ·
Ended up going the superbrightleds route for the entire interior.

All 194 bulbs minus the middle dome. All picked natural white. Cool white would have been too harsh. Warm white would have been the same as the stock halogen bulbs. Love the look. They are still bright. I wish the front and middle dome were just slightly less bright but I might figure something out on how to dim them. Now the interior is nice white light. I'm actually glad I did not find those LED module boards above because I know now it would 100% be too bright for me. The plug in leds only have 5 leds and those have more.. even the dome light only has 4 smd leds, where that board has them the entire shape of the light... hard pass now!

Just as noted above with the face lifted model. My rear cargo was a 194 bulb, and the license plate lights are now standard led modules.

-Nigel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.