Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did comparisons between these LED headlights and the stock halogen. I found that the LEDs are just as bright and work great in the CT200h's projector housing. These are LED headlights that work for only $76 instead of $3,400. I recommend these if you want LED headlights.
Also many LED headlight options have fans due the lights getting really hot, this specific LED design does not need a fan and just has cooling fins. Now it does get hot enough to burn you, but so do the stock halogens.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Main LED list is here: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-how-do-yourself/131178-install-interior-led-lights.html

Install OEM Fog LED Here: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-how-do-yourself/131202-install-lexus-oem-led-fog-lights-2011-ct200h.html
H11 20W LED Headlight 6000K CREE - XML2 chip (also it is fanless)
Spec: 2400 lumens per light (this spec seems legit)
$75.99 is for qty 2 bulbs. Make sure to choose H11.
Buy Here: 40W 2400x2 LM 6000K H4 H L H7 H11 CREE XML Chip Car LED Head Light Fog Lamp DRL | eBay
The shipping took almost 3 weeks.
There are several vendors selling the same thing and you might able to find these cheaper on a site like aliexpress.

The bulb comes with an H11 adaptor.

Stock Halogen Headlight

Halogen Yellowish Color

LED Whitish Color
Comparisons

Halogen Lights

Led Lights

Halogen Lights

Led Lights

Halogen Lights

Led Lights

They look like almost the exact same brightness between the halogen and led. The LEDs are whitish while the stock halogens are yellowish. These will work for headlights with the same brightness as stock.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
How to install.

1. Open your hood. (latch on the left side under the dash).
The hood will open slightly and then you need to press the lever just under the hood in the middle to open it.
2. On the black plastic cover, remove the push pins. I used a precision flat head screw driver to pull up the center of the push pins to bull them out. There are 9 push pins to pull out.

Pry up the center of the push pin.

Pull the center up, then the whole pin should come out.

3. Remove the black cover.
4. On the driver side, reach behind the housing and turn the headlight bulb counter clockwise (to the left) to remove it.

5. Remove the connector by pressing the tab with one hand and pulling the bulb out with your other. (do not touch the halogen with your bare hands if you think you may put it back in. The oils on you skin will burn on the halogen causing a hot spot causing it to die prematurely).
6. Grab one of the new LEDs and connect the adaptor cable that comes with it to the LED. Orientation does not matter.
7. Plug in the adaptor cable to the stock connector. Orientation matters here, so test to make sure the bulb turns on by turn the headlight switch on the dash arm then turn it back off. If the LED does not light up, then unplug the connector and reverse it. Then test again. If you dont have the correct polarity then the LED does not work.
8. Once the light works, then slide it into the housing trying to line up the larger tab towards the top so it slides into the slot. Once it slides in then turn it clockwise or to the right to lock it into the housing. If you cant get the tabs lined up then just keep rotating the light until you fell it slide in.
9. To reach the passenger side bulb, remove the two push pins on the black duct.

10. Remove the smaller black hose from the duct bracket and just push the duct out of the ways so you can reach the bulb.
11. Change the bulb just like you did on the other side and verify it works.
12. Put the black duct and hose back in place. Push back in the two push pins.
13. Check one more time that the LED headlights work.
14. Replace the black cover and put all the push pins back in place.
That is it.

Here are the back of the LEDs.
They get hot, but nothing touches the bottom when installed. There is plenty of room for them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bookmarked. Very thorough review, thanks a lot. Probably will try these now instead of the Morimoto HIDs since they look great and are more than half the price. I was wondering, do you know if the fan-less like yours are better than the LEDs with fans? I found another listing (link below) that has fans...but it looks like it comes with ballasts. They also look bigger, but are the same price and are shipped locally. =/

CREE CXA1512 Xenon White 1800Lm 25W H11 H8 LED Headlight Low Beam Driving Lights | eBay

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Nice write-up and it looks like these LEDs project the light very good. They are in between Halogens and HIDs as far as total illumination brightness. I like your choice of 6000k for the true "white" color.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was wondering, do you know if the fan-less like yours are better than the LEDs with fans? I found another listing (link below) that has fans...but it looks like it comes with ballasts. They also look bigger, but are the same price and are shipped locally. =/

CREE CXA1512 Xenon White 1800Lm 25W H11 H8 LED Headlight Low Beam Driving Lights | eBay
My personal preference was to not have any moving parts as the fan could fail which may cause the LEDs to burn up possibly damaging the car. I just dont like the idea of having a fan.
I chose the ones that claim to be designed to have enough cooling to not need a fan.
I have no idea if the ones with a fan will be better in any way as I only tried the fanless one.

I would be careful with going with leds sold as only 1800 lumens in brightness as the ones I bought claim 2400 lumens and are were basically equal in brightness to the stock halogen.
If the link you have is 1800 lumens/less bright then you will probably get less visibility than the stocks.
If you want to try, I say go for it if you want the 1800 lm ones. Just let us know how the 1800 ones looks compared to the halogen so others will know if it works or if does not work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Oh, I didn't notice the difference in lumens. I read that LEDs are already generally less bright than HIDs, so I think if I do decide to go LED, I'll definitely take your advice and make sure they are minimum 2400. I'm pretty happy with the brightness of the stock halogens, but don't like the yellow/mismatch.

Last question, how well do the LEDs match w/ the DRLs?

Thanks again, have a good weekend.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The Car DRL LED's color is 4300K, get that if you want an exact match. 5000k will match pretty close an give you a somewhat white light, bit 6000K give the best white light. It lights up everything crisply white.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice find and well written. I would still wait for a long term review. I would love to buy this, but I am still a bit concerned about the heat generated, and its longer term impacts on the housing. Is there any ventilation in the housing to dissipate the heat generated?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not take a temp reading, but both the halogen and the leds get too hot to handle after being on for a while.
Both the halogens and the leds can burn you if you try to touch them after running for a few minutes.

Ill give an update after a while, but the housing has to be able to take the heat or the halogens would melt it.
If I get time I can put back in a halogen and take a temp reading of the halogen vs the led.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Picked up a set. Chose these over Morimoto HIDs since they seem to be more hassle-free, consume less energy, cheaper, and last longer. Also, I've used Morimoto's in the past on another car and had a defective ballast (replaced w/o charge). That said, if these don't work out I'll probably go back to Morimoto HIDs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice find, I might consider for fog lights if the length allows. I have moromito HIDs but i also did a FX retrofit with them. So there aint no turning back and the best safety and improvement i could have done

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm interested in a set of fog light led's. I have a CT with led headlights and would love a matching fog light set.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just finished the install. I've only garaged tested them since it isn't dark yet, but if I have any issues I'll post a follow-up.

Couple of things that might help for those doing this:
1. As for the orientation for the connectors, if the socket is properly connected, it will click into place and will not move around when trying to pull it out. If oriented incorrectly, it will still feel like it clicks into place, but it will jiggle.
2. I would avoid temptation to attach the adapter to the LED prior to connecting the adapter to the car in order to avoid falls or touching the LED.

I purchased this one:
2X 12V Car Integrated COB LED Headlight Lamp Conversion Kit 6000K H8 H9 H11 Act | eBay
Same specs, maybe just a re-brand. This one is cheaper (~$65) and was shipped USPS Priority from CA.

HTH and thanks a lot r81984!

·
Registered
187 Posts

Here are the back of the LEDs.
They get hot, but nothing touches the bottom when installed. There is plenty of room for them.
Thanks r81894 for the shot. This essentially shows LED emitter heat buildup will not be an issue. The same should also work for the high beams "H9" setup, correct? How about replacing the halogen fog lamps with this?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont know if they are bright enough for the high beams, but if you get H9 versions they will fit in the same way. I guess the H11 version should still fit the H9 connector.
The only info I could find on halogen bulbs are the H11 lows should be around 1,300 lumens and H9 highs are around 2,100 lumens.
These LEDs claim 2,400 lumens, but they are basically the same as the 1,300 lumen H11 halogens in brightness.

I say it is worth trying as the only difference from the high and lows might be the projector and the reflector. It may be bright enough.

I bought the Lexus LED foglamps and swapped them out, but you definitely can just put LEDs in the halogen fog lamp housing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am hesitant to get these after some googling. It seems LED in projectors will not get the same reach (light will not go out as far) with the immediate ground extremely well lit and farther out barely lit. Can anyone confirm or rebut these claims/tests that I found online? Sorry, I don't have the links right now. I did the research on my phone while in the car waiting for the GF.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts