Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really getting confused on how this works

on 8/23,the OBC showed me an all time high of 55.1,but the actual came out to 52.8.

on 9/12 I matched my all time high 55.1,but the actual mileage came out lower 51.9.

Today 9/20 I achieved a new OBC high of 55.4 ,but the actual mileage is 51.3.

on 9/15 The OBC gave me 53.1 which is common for me with the same Actual mileage as my newest all time high that I got today OBC 55.4,with low actual 51.3

I'm confused on what is going on ????

I fully understand the actual is always lower then the OBC indicated. How Do I get an all time high via the OBC but the actual is lower then the actual of my previous all time high ???

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That's weird. I just wouldn't take the OBC for granted, just use it as an approximation. I think that if the cars computer was set up to calculate the total MPG at the very end (at fill-up) only, it would be much more accurate, but the fact that the computer is constantly monitoring your MPG's and calculation iteration after iteration, there's a margin of error.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You get to reset it after every fill up.or maybe I'm missing what you said

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, this is my one serious complaint about the car. I simply can't trust the fuel gauge.

In my last car, I had a 20 gallon tank and if it told me I was getting 19.5 MPG, I knew I could fill it up at 370 miles (hey, I leave a little buffer!) and still have a gallon in the tank.

So far, with the CT, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. If I have an 11.9 gallon tank and the car tells me I'm getting 52 MPG, I should be able to go 600 miles before filling up and not have a second thought. Instead, I'm so worried about the incorrect meter that I usually stop as soon as the light comes on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, this is my one serious complaint about the car. I simply can't trust the fuel gauge.

In my last car, I had a 20 gallon tank and if it told me I was getting 19.5 MPG, I knew I could fill it up at 370 miles (hey, I leave a little buffer!) and still have a gallon in the tank.

So far, with the CT, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. If I have an 11.9 gallon tank and the car tells me I'm getting 52 MPG, I should be able to go 600 miles before filling up and not have a second thought. Instead, I'm so worried about the incorrect meter that I usually stop as soon as the light comes on.
It's nice to have the extras giving you an idea of how many miles to expect or the light indicating low fuel. I remember a feature on my old cars called a fuel gauge. When it got to 1/4 of a tank or lower, I filled up. Oh wait, we still have fuel gauges. Maybe a little sarcastic there, but the fuel gauge should still be used always. The additional information available now is more helpful in letting you know how your driving habits affect fuel mileage or, in rare cases, if no malfunction indicator lights are on and fuel mileage is suffering severely, there might be a mechanical or emissions problem. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts

There are some other threads about this, take a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts