Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Can anyone confirm that 215/50/17 tires will fit on the stock17 inch rims? Here in my neighbourhood I scratch my front bumper alot when I am not carefull so I am hoping the small difference will help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course it will fit, that is only 5% more or 11mm on tire diameter(7/16")

HO MALA?
Acarta pà grota
Thanks! Thats great news that this size will fit. Do you think this will effect my speed meter in my dashboard? And will the change have any impact on anything else?

Just making sure as i dont know much about cars ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Your car's speedometer is based on wheel/tire rotation. If your wheel/tire is bigger in total circumference, it covers more ground in one rotation than it would if it were smaller. So that means yes, your speedometer will not be accurate. You will want to have it calibrated based on your new size, although the change should be minimal. It won't be that big of a deal I don't think. There are calculators online that let you see the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply, Raidin! I checked out a calculator and it seems there is almost no difference. I'm glad I dont have to search for 16 inch rims and can just install a larger tire when my current Michelins needs replacing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Raidin! I checked out a calculator and it seems there is almost no difference. I'm glad I dont have to search for 16 inch rims and can just install a larger tire when my current Michelins needs replacing.

Your tires will be thicker not larger.

HO MALA?
Acarta pà grota

·
Registered
238 Posts
The 215/50-17s will be 0.84" taller than the 215/45-17s. You will be going a little faster than what is showing on your speedometer, at 60 mph on your speedometer, you will actually be going 62.1 mph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

HO MALA?
Acarta pà grota
Correct me if im wrong, but 215/50/17 tires will have a bigger ground clearance than 215/45/17 tires right? What I am after is to increase the height a bit so I can take speed bumps at a higher speed without scraping the bottom of the car.

Your tires will be thicker not larger.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My pleasure. I had the same issue on my Mustang. Had to use my tuner to change the RPM (Revs per Mile in this case) to account for the difference in tire size change so that my speedometer is calibrated properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts