Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
There is always a reserve left when the fuel light comes on. This has always been the case for toyotas. I usually fill mine when the gauge is at the halfway point. I don't like running to empty because you can suck particulates that settle in the bottom of your gas tank when u run it dry. Also, the fuel cools down the fuel pump as it is getting fed to the engine. If you run it empty, you could overheat the fuel pump and cause more wear and tear.

German cars that I've worked on always had fuel pump issues. It could be a factor of German reliability, but I've noticed that when the fuel light comes on and your German car is not equipped with a reserve tank, your tank is empty. Light on = get to a gas station within 5 miles, whereas on our CT, gas light comes on, you can still drive at least 50 miles, depending on driving technique + terrain.

It's hard to gauge how much range u have left when the light comes on. That's because u have to factor in the fact our CTs are hybrids, so the gasoline engine isnt necessarily always on.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
The 50 miles is what I tested, driving back from Las Vegas to Sherman Oaks, moderate traffic, high winds, light came on when I was on freeway 50 miles from my house.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I just completed a 2300+ mile trip from Savannah to Detroit, Grand Rapids and back to Savannah. At one point I forgot to fill up and triggered the low fuel light. It was already on when I noticed it, but I'm pretty sure it hadn't been on long.

This happened on a particularly underinhabited stretch of I 79, and it was almost 30 sweaty-palmed minutes before I found a gas station. I didn't check the cruising range until a short time after I saw the low fuel light, and it read zero.

When I filled the tank it took only 8.7 gallons. I was sure it was an error and tried to force in more gas, but it just spurted out of the filler opening.

As I recal,l the CT has a tank of approximately 12 gallons, which means I had about 3 gallons of fuel left when I was sure I was running on fumes.

Prime suspect is a faulty fuel gauge, but why would the ctuising range read zero with 3 gallons left? I'll ask the dealer when I take it in for my 5000 mile "service."
Same issue here. It's just how Toyota is, from what I've heard. They always leave a 3 gallon reserve. I haven't been able to fill up to 12 gallon capacity since I bought the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.