Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious (and bored)...
If it had not been for the CT200h's release, whether it existed or you had to give up on it because of the unavailability, what would have been your alternative choices of hybrid (or any other) vehicle out or upcoming in the market?

My choices: (I as only looking at hybrid vehicles that can do around 40 mpg)

Toyota Prius (of course)
Honda Civic
Honda Insight
Honda CR-Z (maybe)

There was also the upcoming Kia Optima Hybrid, which was what I was waiting for, and my first choice. In my eyes, it is beautifully designed and fully loaded with options for a great price. At the time, there was no news for release or EPA estimate of MPG's. Later the Kia site revealed the Optima gets 36/40mpg, and due to (limited) release in June. I could not wait until then. So...I sighed, gave up on the Optima, and went on the hunt for a hybrid.

Also, the reasons I got a CT was because I did not know my previous vehicle would be worth so much; gave me a boost in budget. And...the fact I found one available. If I had to get on a wait list, I would've given up on the CT, too.

Was I "lucky"? Hmm...that's another story.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nothing!
I would have waited for a car that appeals to me.
Tryed the A3, didn't fall for it.
Don't like the Prius exterior and the way it drives.
No Civic for me.
No Insight since it's only a 2-seater.
No Kia Optima or Sonata Hybrid: too big and I need the Hatchback.
Jetta TDI but was afraid of long term reliability.
So...
I would have waited...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would have gotten a Prius or a Ford Fusion hybrid. Or possibly another Volvo S60, even though I wanted higher gas mileage.

I'm glad I didn't total my car 2 months earlier, or I wouldn't have ended up with a CT.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, I don't like any of the Hybrid car designs out there (except CT's, of course). The Optima was closest to fancy, which was why I waited a bit more. But, my commute tripled in distance, and my 3.7L Jeep was really hurting me on gas costs (plus, I have a gas-guzzling minivan, too). I had a budget for a new car, and needed to save on gas. I would've most likely gotten a Prius. I mean if it was gonna be ugly, may as well get the one with the best MPG.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Honestly, I don't like any of the Hybrid car designs out there (except CT's, of course). The Optima was closest to fancy, which was why I waited a bit more. But, my commute tripled in distance, and my 3.7L Jeep was really hurting me on gas costs (plus, I have a gas-guzzling minivan, too). I had a budget for a new car, and needed to save on gas. I would've most likely gotten a Prius. I mean if it was gonna be ugly, may as well get the one with the best MPG.
I would definitely be in a Prius...I test drove one the day I found out there was a CT...never heard of a CT until I was researching the Prius online. Do the CT and Prius drive that differnetly? I drove the Prius so long ago and the CT so long ago...I know that the sport mode makes the CT much different but in normal mode, are they that different a drive? Also, I saw a Kia Hybrid in an online video...great looking car. Same engine as the Hyundai Sonata hybrid...must be some corporate ownership between the two companies. And, the Kia has the newer type batteries..lithium polymer type so they are smaller and last longer poerwise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was actually waiting / looking at the Subaru Impreza 2012.. and really excited for the FT86 myself..
And some of my friends were all impressed by the Hyundai Elantra, since it actually come with pretty good interior, mpg, with a very low price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only other car that caught my fancy (and was in my price range) at the auto show was the BMW 323i - not a gas sipper.
In dreamland, I'd take any Aston, even the funky four-door Rapide...

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
NOT a Prius, that's for sure! BMW 328i coupe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOT a Prius, that's for sure!
:D Believe me, I felt the same way.
I see them everywhere. I can spot like a dozen in one parking lot at work. Three neighbors just on my street have'em and they've been pressuring me to join the club for weeks.
I was rescued by the CT! Almost fell to the dark... Wait, we are on the darker side. :p

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Ha ha, I just find them very unsightly! Yeah, they are EVERYWHERE!!!!! I have only seen 2 CT's (on the road) in my lifetime...one was near my town and the other was in Italy last month. Can't wait to see people's reactions when they see another (ME!!!!).

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Nissan Altima Hybrid and Ford Fusion Hybrid are both really nice cars.

Neither car goes as far on a gallon as the CT, but both are very good.

They both have much better acceleration than the CT. My wife's Altima goes like a bat out of hell.

The really huge advantage the CT has is that the back seat folds down flat, giving it much more usable cargo space. We had to have at least one car that can occationally carry a Christmas tree or a large box.

All three cars are roughly the same price in Canada.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Would have kept my RX300 if I hadn't read about the CT and taken a trip to my local dealer, just out of curiosity. I thought I would eventually buy another RX, but wow, the CT was impressive. It’s like a mini RX with the fold-down seats, hatch, comfort and Lexus quality. Plus with the great gas mileage, I couldn’t say no. I have been a happy CT owner for a whole week now and am still smiling. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its not my car per say, but the choices were narrowed down to:

2011/12 Hyundai Elantra
2012 Ford Focus
2012 Subaru Impreza

Prius wasn't on the list due to the ugliness and crappy ride not to mention the image of being an annoying Prius owner!

The Focus and Impreza weren't out at the time (Impreza still isn't out yet), and we discovered the CT and the fact it had a Prius drivetrain but with a much better drive not to mention the luxury and looks it was a no-brainier to jump up to that price level.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As of Prius owner i would probably have went for a Prius, but right now i am selling my lovely Prius for the Lexus.....

I came from a Lancer Evolution X so yes i bought the Prius 8 months too early!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts