Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed oil interval is 10k, makes sense for a hybrid. The recommendation is for regular oil I think. Since synthetic oil generally lasts twice as long, does that mean I can go to 15 or 20k interval??

Nal puresyn sae 0w20 synthetic oil GF-5/SN was used. Thanks

·
381 Posts
No. The car takes 0w20 which is full synthetic. There is no conventional oil of that weight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a guy here with a Blue CT, I think he is in the courier business.. He goes about 26K between oil changes. Some have suggested that he change his filter in between but I thinking he only does the filter when he does the oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that's dumb. non hybrids can go 10k with synthetic oil. a hybrid engine is off maybe 30% of the time, so it should go 30% more miles right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
well that's dumb. non hybrids can go 10k with synthetic oil. a hybrid engine is off maybe 30% of the time, so it should go 30% more miles right?
The engine also starts and stops more frequently than a non-hybrid engine, and that can cause a little more stress on the oil. We only have 4.4 quarts.

My BMW went 15K between oil changes, but it took 7 quarts of synthetic oil.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There is a guy here with a Blue CT, I think he is in the courier business.. He goes about 26K between oil changes. Some have suggested that he change his filter in between but I thinking he only does the filter when he does the oil.
I'm that guy.

If you would like to increase your OCI (oil change interval) past 10k miles, then I recommend you get lab tests on your oil if you attempt it, to be safe.

First of all, like everyone has been implying, Toyota designed the engine with a full-synthetic oil in mind. Depending on how you drive, you may be able to extend your OCI. This is why Toyota recommends 10k OCIs, because they have to account for every type of driver and go with the lowest common denominator.

The oil I use is Mobil 1's Extended Performance, which is rated at going 15k miles between changes (there's a 20k miles version now too). They also make a filter of the same rating, but I don't recommend it as it started to fail around 26k miles. The filter is made of a combination of synthetic and natural media. I recommend a full-synthetic media filter, like the Wix brand I use (part number 57064XP). I have had my oil and filter up to 28k without filter or oil issues.

Keep in mind that my driving style is cruising at 60 MPH all day on the highway (literally cruising, as in cruise control), so my engine doesn't see a lot of hard work. If you are gentle on your car, you can probably easily exceed the 10k factory OCI. Again, I recommend lab tests to be sure. I use Blackstone Labs (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/) myself.

I have my reports if you'd like to see the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts