Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'll share my experience with driving techniques: I've been averaging 48-49 mpg with my CT, the last few days :). Basically the trick seems to be to smoothly accelerate to the desired speed (from stop-n-go) and then let it coast as much as possible (needle drops to ECO zone from POWER zone). Have seen this suggested on several Prius discussion forums and seems to work :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Read this person's blog ,He claims to briskly accelerate to speed. Slowly doing it IMHO wastes more gas. Mike with a Prius: Prius-ing with Hobbit.

is the 48-49 what the OBC says or mileage divided by gallons?
Either way,thats still great.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Read this person's blog ,He claims to briskly accelerate to speed. Slowly doing it IMHO wastes more gas. Mike with a Prius: Prius-ing with Hobbit.

is the 48-49 what the OBC says or mileage divided by gallons?
Either way,thats still great.
If you drive the CT200h sensibly there is no reason not to achieve these numbers. i average 47.5 mpg. That is miles driven divided by gallons filled. As the summer heat wanes and my A/C use diminishes ithe mileage should get a little better still. Accelerate smoothly. Keep the tachometer needle in the "Eco" range as mush as possible. If going down hill coast or lihyly use the accelerator. If you see a red light ahead take your foot off the accelerator and coast. Brake smoothy also. You will be rewarded with 400 miles on about 8 gallons of gas. I don't believe that unless you are on a highway doing 65 there is any need or purpose to aggressively accelerating. That's sort of like the theory if you just go as fast as you can, you arrive sooner and thus burn less gas. Not sure that holds up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you drive the CT200h sensibly there is no reason not to achieve these numbers. i average 47.5 mpg. That is miles driven divided by gallons filled. As the summer heat wanes and my A/C use diminishes ithe mileage should get a little better still. Accelerate smoothly. Keep the tachometer needle in the "Eco" range as mush as possible. If going down hill coast or lihyly use the accelerator. If you see a red light ahead take your foot off the accelerator and coast. Brake smoothy also. You will be rewarded with 400 miles on about 8 gallons of gas. I don't believe that unless you are on a highway doing 65 there is any need or purpose to aggressively accelerating. That's sort of like the theory if you just go as fast as you can, you arrive sooner and thus burn less gas. Not sure that holds up.

Did you read his blog? Doesn't sound like it. I thought the same as you,but after reading his blog I see a difference . I had a 10 mile stretch of road ,that I achieved 74.3 MPg.

Being aggressive Isn't good.Same as babying the throttle.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Pulse and Glide

The methid I heard worked best anyway from Prius chat hypermilers was: Pulse and Glide. You give a short burst of gas and then almost coast. Sometimes to get to correct speed you cycle through several pulse and glide sequences.

I have a 2010 Prius V and it gets great mileage. It is my wife's car and she typically gets 55 unless it is real hot then it goes down some.

Tomorrow morning, I pick up my CT200h :) :). Iwill let you know what kind of mileage I get. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
The methid I heard worked best anyway from Prius chat hypermilers was: Pulse and Glide. You give a short burst of gas and then almost coast. Sometimes to get to correct speed you cycle through several pulse and glide sequences.

I have a 2010 Prius V and it gets great mileage. It is my wife's car and she typically gets 55 unless it is real hot then it goes down some.

Tomorrow morning, I pick up my CT200h :) :). Iwill let you know what kind of mileage I get. ;)

Mike with a Prius: Prius-ing for Dummies - beginner Prius mileage tips

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a break in period? or are you guys getting these numbers off the bat? I've been doing everything I can and I seem to be getting just around 40 or so but I've only had the ct for less than a week

·
Registered
296 Posts

Please post some picture of your new CT and Prius together!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is there a break in period? or are you guys getting these numbers off the bat? I've been doing everything I can and I seem to be getting just around 40 or so but I've only had the ct for less than a week

This is what I keep trying to figure out but nobody seems to know / answer.. My CT is at the end of its 3rd tank now and I cant get much more than 40mpg (driving withe the pulse and glide technique since day ONE).

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
My wife with no special driving technique averages 43 mpg (US).

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
This is what I keep trying to figure out but nobody seems to know / answer.. My CT is at the end of its 3rd tank now and I cant get much more than 40mpg (driving withe the pulse and glide technique since day ONE).
My ride home from the dealer, taking delivery, was about 30 miles highway and 6 miles local roads and the computer said 53 MPG! :D Yes, I babied the car the whole ride home and didn't go above 65 MPH on the highway. I have also gotten as high as 72 MPG from pure city/local road driving.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do you think your tires/wheels are the culprit? From the small picture they don't seem to be standard. Maybe it's my eyes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My ride home from the dealer, taking delivery, was about 30 miles highway and 6 miles local roads and the computer said 53 MPG! :D Yes, I babied the car the whole ride home and didn't go above 65 MPH on the highway. I have also gotten as high as 72 MPG from pure city/local road driving.
Ahh this kills me. I wish I could determine what my issue was..

Do you think your tires/wheels are the culprit? From the small picture they don't seem to be standard. Maybe it's my eyes.
It's possible that they contribute. My current wheel setup is far lighter than the OEM setup, but the tires aren't the 'low rolling resistance' tires.. Either way the wheels probably only count for + or - 2 to 4 MPG's.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ahh this kills me. I wish I could determine what my issue was..

It's possible that they contribute. My current wheel setup is far lighter than the OEM setup, but the tires aren't the 'low rolling resistance' tires.. Either way the wheels probably only count for + or - 2 to 4 MPG's.
Considering that, 42-44 mpg on a new CT isn't that bad. Give it time to brake in.

When/if I ever get mine, I'm just going to drive it. I won't be a lead foot and I won't be mileage obsessed (forgive me those who fall into this category :) ). Then we will see what happens. Having to constantly watch my driving technique to gain a couple of mpgs isn't going to happen.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Please post some picture of your new CT and Prius together!
I got the CT this morning it is awesome. Right now it is parked side by side in the garage with the Prius and S2000.

I will post some pictures soon. The CT is 7 " shorter than the Prius

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow! 7" shorter? That is seriously low to the ground.

Even at my height I'll have to duck to get into it!

I got the CT this morning it is awesome. Right now it is parked side by side in the garage with the Prius and S2000.

I will post some pictures soon. The CT is 7 " shorter than the Prius

·
Registered
18 Posts
This topic is an interesting one only because so many people are getting varied results. I picked my CT up yesterday and put maybe 30 miles on it? I made it a game to see what kind of MPG I could get the display to show and the highest I got was 37.5 which I was very impressed with. During the test drive the gauge showed something screwy like 11 mpg and I was like WTF?! Apparently it takes some miles for the car to be able to accurately calculate those things. Even so. that 37-40 range in the city is pretty nice. Way better than I got with my 09 Jetta. Im eager to see how far I can really go on one tank during my commutes to work.
Is everyone using 87 unleaded or something higher? Just had a quick thought that maybe the fuel might be a small part of the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My last average (3rd tank) was 48.8 MPG driving round trip from San Diego to LA Airport with mixed traffic. First tank averaged 42MPG, second tank yielded 45MPG.

87 is fine. No need for anything higher.

Just remember to reset the average every time you fill up. Otherwise, we would be looking at the overall average.

Tim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts