Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am a new CT owner, who just purchased a 2011 in pearl white with black and tan interior. So far I am really liking it! I have searched the forum and found many topics about the noise the hybrid system makes. Tho, I haven't found a post about the specific sound I am hearing, so I wanted to ask the group if it is normal. Yes, I get the high pitched (dog whistle) sound, but that is not what I am asking about. The sound I am hearing is most noticeable when driving in around 20-30 mph on a quiet road. It seems to come from the front driver wheel, and I swear I can sometimes feel it slightly vibrating where you rest your left foot. It's hard to describe, but resembles a faint creak. It is not constant, rather more of a creak... creak... creak. Perhaps creak isn't the right verb, maybe a purr, my wife says it sounds like a frog croak, LOL. I took it to the dealer, and they said it was normal, but I wanted to poll you all.

I have recorded the sound. Have a listen and let me know what you think. I have isolated the sound a bit and looped a part of the recording where it was easily heard. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...CT%20noise.mp3

·
Registered
842 Posts
Dealers are ALWAYS going to say a noise is normal, at least until something falls off or otherwise fails. I haven't experienced that particular noise, at least not as you have described it, but I assume you mean creak, as opposed to a babbling brook type creek, or a native american.

Keep trying. Escalate nicely. My wife had a similar problem with her Lexus a few years ago and it was "normal" until her constant whining got the service manager involved, who took the car home for the night and took the dash apart in his driveway to isolate the sound that he had finally heard! It turned out to be a faulty actuator motor in the climate control system which "never fails"! Keep trying!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try taking the front wheels off the car, give them a good peeking. You're looking for scoring on the insides of the wheels. Theory - a stone has got trapped in there and is steadily grinding things away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been reading several posts in this and other forums, I am starting to think the sound is normal even though others are not describing it in this way. I think my description is a little off... Perhaps the best way to describe it is kurr... kurr... kurr. Or a purr. I've noticed I don't hear it every time I drive and it is more present if the car has been parked for awhile. Anyone else hearing what I'm hearing?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've been reading several posts in this and other forums, I am starting to think the sound is normal even though others are not describing it in this way. I think my description is a little off... Perhaps the best way to describe it is kurr... kurr... kurr. Or a purr. I've noticed I don't hear it every time I drive and it is more present if the car has been parked for awhile. Anyone else hearing what I'm hearing?
Do you have a smartphone or a tablet? Take one with you and use a voice recording app to record the sound. Move it around the cabin, including underneath the steering wheel towards the pedals (if possible to do so safely, maybe use a passenger.) This will help us recognize the sound, and your dealer too.

If you don't have or find such an app, use your video camera app.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a smartphone or a tablet? Take one with you and use a voice recording app to record the sound. Move it around the cabin, including underneath the steering wheel towards the pedals (if possible to do so safely, maybe use a passenger.) This will help us recognize the sound, and your dealer too.

If you don't have or find such an app, use your video camera app.
I have recorded the sound. Have a listen and let me know what you think. I have isolated the sound a bit and looped a part of the recording where it was easily heard.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9115900/CT noise.mp3

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have recorded the sound. Have a listen and let me know what you think. I have isolated the sound a bit and looped a part of the recording where it was easily heard.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9115900/CT noise.mp3

It's strange, the forums didn't show this thread had been updated, so I never noticed your reply.

I listened to the file. Whatever that is in the background, that sounds like a subdued washing machine sound, is nothing I've ever heard in either my Prius C or my CT. Take the sound clip to the dealer and see what they can do, that's all I can say. Definitely not normal as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suspect that sound is your tires. My CT started making a very similar sound about 15000 miles ago. It is actually "cupping" of my tires (stock Michelins). I plan to resolve the problem by purchasing new tires in the next couple of weeks. I have 67000 miles on the tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The answer to the mysteries whining sound. I just bought my 2016 F sport with 83000 miles and I heard it. I first thought it was wheel bearings then I thought the inverter. drove me crazy. thought I had bought a lemon. So I took it to the Lexus dealer and told them my story. they road test the car and came back and said it was STEERING SHAFT BOOT WAS LOSE AND NOT SEALING, AND THE NOISE WAS WAS BEING HEARD THROUGH THE BOOT OPENING. THEY REPOSITION THE STEERING SHAFT BOOT.
And now the nose is gone. yes, it was only heard at first after I hit 40 mph up to 80mph and got louder when I let off the gas yes it sounded like it was an electrical noise. so glad it's

gone I think I have read everything on the internet about this noise. But it's gone now so I want to share back good luck now on to the 18'' tires and a turbo for the engine lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts