Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are all well aware that living near power lines has adverse health effects. When our bodies do not like being exposed to high levels of static magnetic fields or high voltage power lines.

Both of these are present in all hybrid cars. Two strong permanent magnet motor/generators, a high voltage AC/DC inverter and a high voltage DC power line (usually traveling directly under the drivers seat).

Although the voltage in the high voltage line is no where near the 115kV of utility power lines, it is still extremely close and carries significant amperage.

The CT200h shares the same power train as a Prius, which has had wide criticisms and noticed health effects. Some drivers report feeling sick, dizzy or sleepy. One driver even fallen asleep at the wheel.

- When I drive a Prius I do not feel the same as when I drive a non hybrid car. It really does feel as if there is a good amount of electricity around me. -

Levels inside the Prius have been measured by me at 2-4mG right under my bum, sitting on the drivers seat. During braking, levels reached 8mG in the passenger seat. The rear right seat measured as high as 24mG.

Anything above 2mG is a health hazard. At 4mG you're likely to get headaches and show some form of symptom (headache, loss of memory, tiredness). At 12mG your bodies own ability to inhibit cancer through melatonin is reduced.

I fear that Lexus did not increase the shielding around the AC/DC inverter, the high voltage cabling or the battery pack.

Before I buy, I will be testing this car for the amount of radiation present in the cabin during my test drive.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I drove the CT 200h about 2 weeks ago. Great car. I didn't notice any of the effects you mentioned. This was a short drive, about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
who's doing these measurements? are they using a proper 3-axis gauge? that is frequency weighted? There are so many myths out there.

You should consider this 3rd party non-biased test that Consumers Reports did:

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Mythbuster: EMF levels in hybrids

I personally own a Prius and will be getting a CT200h. I put my wife, son, familiy in the car. There is no indication whatsoever that the car is any more hazardous then a drunk driver or a drowsy driver w/ sleep apnea!!!

Heck, compared to conventional NON hybrid cars.....as per the consumer's reports tests.....it seems like your ________ (insert your non hybrid car you are driving now) might possibly be emitting high levels of EMF.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I agree with Team Lexus. I to own a 08 Prius, and my wife generally drives it. It now has 40k miles on it, and I have to say, not once did any of us feel any effects.

·
Registered
255 Posts
who's doing these measurements? are they using a proper 3-axis gauge? that is frequency weighted? There are so many myths out there.

You should consider this 3rd party non-biased test that Consumers Reports did:

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Mythbuster: EMF levels in hybrids
I liked the article. Thank you for finding it and sharing it with us. The more I think about the test drive I took in the CT 200h, the more I like the car. I think I can see one sitting in my driveway in March. Matador Red Mica of course.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We have some serious electricity going on under us with the Hybrid generator in the car for sure. As far as feeling different after driving this car, I feel better than when I was in my old Honda Pilot. I don't think we are in any health danger. These power generator myths have been around for years. i grew up very near high voltage transmission lines in Philadelphia. Today I am doctor, so none the worse for the electrical energy. I think breathing in carbon monoxide from a idling gas engine only car is much worse for our health than this CT200h.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think we are exposed to way more emf's just throughout the course of our daily lives than we are driving a hybrid for a couple of hours out of the day. of course, auto manufacturers have their agendas, but if you want to rid yourselves of emf altogether, better stop using the internet, cell phones, and using electricity in general. kinda tough, isn't it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are all well aware that living near power lines has adverse health effects. When our bodies do not like being exposed to high levels of static magnetic fields or high voltage power lines.

Both of these are present in all hybrid cars. Two strong permanent magnet motor/generators, a high voltage AC/DC inverter and a high voltage DC power line (usually traveling directly under the drivers seat).

Although the voltage in the high voltage line is no where near the 115kV of utility power lines, it is still extremely close and carries significant amperage.

The CT200h shares the same power train as a Prius, which has had wide criticisms and noticed health effects. Some drivers report feeling sick, dizzy or sleepy. One driver even fallen asleep at the wheel.

- When I drive a Prius I do not feel the same as when I drive a non hybrid car. It really does feel as if there is a good amount of electricity around me. -

Levels inside the Prius have been measured by me at 2-4mG right under my bum, sitting on the drivers seat. During braking, levels reached 8mG in the passenger seat. The rear right seat measured as high as 24mG.

Anything above 2mG is a health hazard. At 4mG you're likely to get headaches and show some form of symptom (headache, loss of memory, tiredness). At 12mG your bodies own ability to inhibit cancer through melatonin is reduced.

I fear that Lexus did not increase the shielding around the AC/DC inverter, the high voltage cabling or the battery pack.

Before I buy, I will be testing this car for the amount of radiation present in the cabin during my test drive.
This is ridiculous. Please tell us how you "feel" large amounts of electricity around you.

Please remove your tin-foil hat and join the rest of us in the real world.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Isn't it more likely that these reports are due to common car sickness and lack of sleep, as with most cars?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Don't buy the Lexux - you're paranoid!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Isn't it more likely that these reports are due to common car sickness and lack of sleep, as with most cars?
Right on.

Doesn't sleep apnea affect like 1 in 4 North American's? And most are un-diagnosed too!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Yes - but he may be allergic to the horses flatulence!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, first post here as I am considering getting a CT. I have been reading some interesting articles posted by the OP, and found this article deserves some attention to, Toyota EMF Pius Hybrid

While I do not believe it is dangerous, but it's still a good source of information for consideration.

Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been reading some interesting articles posted by the OP, and found this article deserves some attention to, Toyota EMF Pius Hybrid
Slick looking websites aside, we live in such a litigious society here in the U.S. that there are literally thousands of lawyers who would wet their pants with glee if they thought they could go after the deep pockets of the car manufacturers that produced hybrids with a class action suit if there was even a hint of evidence to support the radiation issue. None are, and that alone convinces me it's a non-issue.

I'll admit to feeling different than drivers of non-hybrid vehicles when I'm on the road, but it's because I'm going nearly twice as far on a $4 gallon of gas than they are, and having a hell of a lot more fun because I'm doing it in a CT200.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Just a bunch of BS - idiot troll w/o a decent high school education, that probably uses a cell phone or stands besides someone that uses one w/o any worries.

Carrying a Geiger counter into the car - this idiot better bring a BANANA so at least there's a "blip" from the potassium decay.

Gods I hate how the Internet propagates stupidity.

Perhaps that's why the Prius & other HSD vehicles only have a few million units sold. Less than 5% of the world wide population have a degree past high school. Most hybrid owners I know are college / university level.

BTW - similar threads on other websites were DELETED by the MODS - makes me wonder WTH the CT200h moderators are up to...

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Toyota Prius has been in production since 1997. Nobody has ever claimed a health problem from the car. By the way the CT200h uses the Prius engine with some upgrades. Don't buy into the irrational rhetoric against hybrids. There is a greater risk from holding a cell phone next to your head for hours at a time than driving a hybrid.

·
Registered
193 Posts
^
there's a greater risk in being so stupid to believe these websites without a strong depth of understanding about the basics of science and EMF!

Please have a read from a website that is more reputable, breaks it down in an easily understood manner, and uses equipment that is accurate for the purposes of the test:

Mythbuster: EMF levels in hybrids

·
Registered
222 Posts
there's a website out there making money on hapless folks who are so lost in the emf stuff selling these packets of emf neutralizers. lol. the internet is useful. the internet is useless.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts