Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow CT lovers/owners

I live in Canada and now that winter has struck, I start my car after it's been sitting out in the cold for several hours, sometimes overnight before I drive it again. With traditional engines, there was a temperature gauge that would show you when the engine had started to warm up and give you idea that it was ok to start driving the car. However with Hybrid, or at least my CT200h, I don't have one and have no idea if it's warmed up. So it begs the question, does a hybrid engine even need to be warmed up before you drive it? If so, does driving it before it's warmed up doing it harm? Any help from folks out there that understand this better than me is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Until an engine is warm keep the rpm's low to minimize wear. You could switch to sport mode and use the tach as a guide until you feel warm air coming out of the vents.

I would say if you minimize aggressive acceleration until the engine has warmed up you will be fine.

There are two camps concerning idling the car until its warm and then driving off or driving the car immediately without waiting.

I follow the second practice. With modern lubricants and non aggressive starts I drive without waiting for the engine to heat up.

Some BMW's have a max RPM indicator that increases as engine temp increases..

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I agree w/ audi4t.

By the way, you'll know your gasoline engine is warmed up when the fan for your heat cranks up to heat your car (assuming you have it set to "AUTO"). I too found it odd that this car doesn't have a temp. gauge too!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would vote to have Lexus add a temp gauge too.

If the temp is -10 Celsius or less, I plug in the block heater and I also wait 20-30 seconds before driving off. I am in the camp that asserts that idling is hard on the engine so it is better to get moving.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
You can always connect a scangauge thru' the OBD port and you can display coolant temp as one of the gauge display outputs.

I have a scangauge and have found it invaluable for reading / resetting error codes

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

You can also program the backlighting to match your cars cluster lighting

I leave it connected permanently in my BMW

Here is the original scan gauge and secondly my integrated install in my 135i which does the same thing as the scangauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts