Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my CT in for the 5k service and got a base HS250 for a loaner. I'm glad the dealers are buying these up and putting them in their fleet because I hate the ES350 loaners.

I had a chance to put about 400 miles on the car, pretty much drove it everywhere for a few days. Here are a few impressions.

First of all, it's quiet. Much quieter than the CT. Could be the meatier tires but I suspect that the Lexus enginerds had a lot of time to figure out the sound deadening locations. I feel the sound deadening in the CT to be lacking. Especially from the front wheel wells. Wonder if some dynamat on the wheel wells would help? DIY anyone?

Second of all, it's more refined. I know it has a meatier engine and it shows. Run in power mode and the weight shows. It's not as fun as the CT with sport mode on, but you can feel that the car struggles much less under acceleration. Cmon CT300h!

Third, the little things. It has a much higher ride height and seat position. I sometimes feel that Lexus scrimped on a lot of the small Lexus details to get the CT out as fast as possible since the HS was failing. In that regard we got shafted on some interesting details. One being the sun visor extension. Another being a sliding armrest. Still another is a rear seat armrest. Yet another is a cover for the cup holders. And ultimately the refinement we expect from Lexus was very evident on the HS. Not so much on the CT.

Fourth, dismal and I mean dismal mpg. I now know there is a direct correlation between weight and mpg. I guess all these little touches really add up. I got a MAX 33mpg mixed use in one tank of gas. Simply unacceptable for a hybrid at this price point. Base the car was about 3 grand more than my fairly loaded out CT.

As such, with the discontinuation of the model, I expect these bad boys to be on clearance. I suspect one could get these at a true bargain basement price. It's not a bad car, just one that seems to be at odds with itself. A true inbetweener of Lexus' "Performance Hybrids" and Toyotas "Economical Hybrids". A position I think the CT has nailed.

With constant improvement, I think the CT can gain the level of refinement the HS has. We just have to trust that Lexus sees this as a weakness and learns to rework the compromise through ingenuity and the relentless pursuit of mpg.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got the HS250 as a loaner a few months back. I don't really like it. I hope they will have the ES 350H as loaner when it comes out.

232 Posts
I tell you one thing though, that there are huge differences in Lexus dealers. So don't be surprise if one offer you more courtesy than the others. In my neck of woods here in northern NJ, there are five huge high volume Lexus dealers within half hour driving distance of each other. And they treat the customers much different from each other. Once a dealer wanted to charge me for an estimate of an out of warranty repair, while the other offered a loaner for same estimate even though I decline to do the repairs. There is huge difference in the amenities offered, in the luxury of the facility, the courtesy of the staff and I am sure about the competency of the mechanics as well.

How ironical, I participated in the introduction of HS250h and IS250c couple of years ago. Lexus set up a very sophisticated event at a country club in Croton-on-Hudson, upstate NY. I test drove the HS250h and sort of liked it, but six months later there were other luxury cars with better gas mileage! ...at lower pricing too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
those assholes gave you a loaner for 5k?
They denied me and made me wait for 2 hrs
My Lexus service center gave out loaner cars for anything. They told me they have 50 loaner cars. The service center is the biggest one I have seen in any dealer service center. They are freaking amazing comparing to all the BMW and Mini Cooper service centers I have been to. There is never a wait, and I am in and out with my loaner car in about 10 minutes. They let me pick any loaner car they got: CT, IS, ES, RX, HS. So I got IS for 5000 miles, ES for 10000, HS for 15000, and CT 20000. I am not sure I want to get the RX, since so far I have not replaced any gas used on the loaners since the drive is so short. I am afraid the RX might eat too much gas and it will show on the gauge. :p

·
Registered
842 Posts
Back to the original point, I have had an HS loaner twice, and I really liked the way it drove but I thought it was butt-ugly and I am sure that is why it didn't sell.

I really liked the sound system better and the navigation too. It was more of a Lexus.

232 Posts
I agree with you, Joe166. I was quite impressed initially too. But the hs250h became defunct before it had any chance. I am equally worried about the lack of sales for the CT. Dealerships here in NJ got a huge back log of stock. I read somewhere in club Lexus that the biggest share of CT ownership is in California, followed by Oregon. We here in NJ we don't count no more than 3% at best. And we are the densest state in the Union. The dealers are arduously pushing the es350H instead. I wish CT becomes more efficient, it got to surpass Prius in mpg in order to be successful. It got to qualify for the Green Vehicle of USEPA Clean Vehicle Program.

As far as the noise is concerned, the little 2ZR 1.8L 4 cylinder banger is totally maxed out. Its optimum torque is not achieved till you hit 4,000 rpm range. And you got 4 valves per cylinder. So there is no way to avoid the noise. If you look at the engine compartment, you will see that Lexus engineers spared no cost in noise attenuation. They did install comprehensive sound dampeners in addition to acoustic insulation under the hood. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 along with 45 wall profile ratio doesn't help either, plus the LRR rating which is great for gas mileage but they are relatively stiff. I was thinking in changing to Bridgestone/Continental LRR rated tires which are supposedly to be quieter, but that has to wait at least couple of years later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Lexus service center gave out loaner cars for anything. They told me they have 50 loaner cars. The service center is the biggest one I have seen in any dealer service center. They are freaking amazing comparing to all the BMW and Mini Cooper service centers I have been to. There is never a wait, and I am in the out with my loaner car in about 10 minutes. They let me pick any loaner car they got: CT, IS, ES, RX, HS.
Pretty much the same here in Charlotte, NC at Hendrick Lexus. Best customer service of any car dealership I've ever been to.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Pretty much the same here in Charlotte, NC at Hendrick Lexus. Best customer service of any car dealership I've ever been to.
Two sister dealerships in Houston, TX Westside and Northside, best by far service I have ever seen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two sister dealerships in Houston, TX Westside and Northside, best by far service I have ever seen.
This was at Sterling McCall on 59 South. They treat me VERY well there. Loaner for anything. My wife swears by Westside and they have been very good to her. Even driving to her work to pick up and drop off a loaner to her.

I had the car so long because I dropped mine off and immediately went out of town with the loaner on a business trip. They didn't even question me.

BTW, did I see you at Ikea on labor day?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same thing in San Jose CA at Stevens Creek Lexus, cleanest maintenance bays and best customer service I have ever seen. Waiting area is excellent. Dealer is about 35 miles away but I make the drive for the customer service.

·
Registered
441 Posts
hookah66: As far as the noise is concerned, the little 2ZR 1.8L 4 cylinder banger is totally maxed out. Its optimum torque is not achieved till you hit 4,000 rpm range. And you got 4 valves per cylinder. So there is no way to avoid the noise.

I don't understand your antipathy to the TMC ZR 1.8L engine. It has been produced by the squillion to power Toyota Corollas (the world's top selling car) and other Toyota, and now Lexus variants. It powers Lotus sports cars and a few racing cars. It has an unparalleled record for reliability. This little engine is only idling at 4,000 rpm. It will go a few thousand more than that all day long without bother. You might also consider that1.8L is not considered a small capacity engine in many parts of the world and many European luxury car marques offer an engine about this size in many markets. I don't know what Lexus projections are for CT sales, but I recall originally they were not even going to sell the CT in the USA. When they launched it, I believe they were hoping for sales of 12,000 per annum, which I think has been comfortably achieved. The CT has also done well in several European countries, especially in the UK and Norway. Finally, with regard to excessive noise, I recently got fined for speeding ($620) for the first time in forty-five years of driving because the speed in my little CT so easily and quietly creeps up over legal limits.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have an hs as a loner now

the seating position is really high which i hate

it's sluggish and soft, which i dont like

the dash and interior is from another planet

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that thought the HS looked good. But I didn't enjoy the drive. Like Pagy said, sit too high and ride is too soft. And price was way too high for what you get. I'd love to have those sun visors though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know what New Jersey-ites are buying (Escalades?) but try to get a good deal on a CT in CA and you'll still hear the dealer laughing as you cross Mississippi:)

Plus if I wanted an ugly car that could get me 38 mpg I'd get a Camry hybrid.

What I want is a stylish, decently appointed car that gets 45+ mpg. And I have it in the CT.

If I find a better looking, decently appointed car that gets better mileage with similar or better power you're damn right I'll buy it.
Until then its the CT for me:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts