Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need to do some touch up paint on my ct200h, but I am having some difficulty finding instructions on how to do it on a pearl white color car. I bought the 077 and 077BC touch up paint. Do I need to also buy the primer and the clear coat? I am guessing the steps are as follows:

1) Apply primer. Let dry.
2) Apply 077 and 077BC, but which one in which order? Let dry.
3) Apply clearcoat.

Has anyone done this before for a pearl white color?

Thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
It is really hard to match up a pearlescent paint finish with a brush. Really hard. Google it and you will find some detailled instructions, probably in a car detailling site. Good luck, I have never been able to do it and neither has my friend who is a painter at a good body shop. Spraying it? Absolutely perfect! Brushing it? Not so much! I thought he might have a better touch than I do, I was wrong. I am sure there are people who can do this.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Guys,

I need to do some touch up paint on my ct200h, but I am having some difficulty finding instructions on how to do it on a pearl white color car. I bought the 077 and 077BC touch up paint. Do I need to also buy the primer and the clear coat? I am guessing the steps are as follows:

1) Apply primer. Let dry.
2) Apply 077 and 077BC, but which one in which order? Let dry.
3) Apply clearcoat.

Has anyone done this before for a pearl white color?

Thanks
I would assume the "BC" is referring to "base coat". So you'd lay the 077BC down before the 077. 077 is your "mid-coat".

Whether you need primer or not depends on the condition of the spots you're painting. For touch ups, generally you won't need to re-prime unless you're applying to the sheet metal. You will need to lightly rough up the existing paint or primer that you're spraying over.

You'll want to lay down a clear coat after your base and mid coats.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Nice to know about the touch up advises for the paint. I am a mechanic by profession and my friend also work in the same field and my friend Chris knows well about the paint and i like his work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quick comment, I worked my way through university as a spray painter and still do my own motorcycles. To really get a like "new" or anything like it requires disturbing the area around what you are trying to fix. If what you are trying to fix is a small rock damage, i.e. not a major ding or pit, my experience is that you are best off with a touch up stick or even a very small brush applying just a drop of paint on the disturbed area. Prep work which is the heart of any paint job should be limited as well. Perhaps cleaning with acetone and a Q-tip. If it's anything more than a very small spot such as a rock might make I'd suggest taking it to a real painter. Some of those guys are truly artists in matching repair work to the original finish and we every day DIY people simply can't equal them. I rarely see a DIY job whch doesn't show up as a rough spot even when the color matches perfectly. As always YMMV and if you can pull it off (more power to you).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts